Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Superior Spider-Man Appreciation Thread 2018

I searched, and I searched, and I searched, but alas, I could not find an Appreciation Thread for the SUPERIOR Spider-Man. Which, IMO, is a tragic mistake, and one that should be corrected right this instant! So, I took it upon myself to create a place where our Dear, Lord and Saviour Otto Gunther Octavius coud be praised for his SUPERIORITY!

Ahem, anyway, all kidding aside, I did find it weird that there's no appreciation thread about him, especially considering there are such threads for characters with like, 1 or 2 appearances (yes, I'm looking at you X Board!). Personally, I had outgrown Parker by the time Ock came around, so naturally I really enjoyed his tenure. There where problems in the run, sure, but between the tie-ins, team-up, crossovers and the like, Ock became one of my favourites. There's nothing "wrong" with Peter, but after so many years, I've noticed that either the stories have become stale, or that I just don't really "care" about him anymore. I pulled ANAD TASM, but still, I didn't really thoroughly enjoy it. I mean, I liked it but eh, at 10 euros per month I could get 2 other books that I'll enjoy more. Apart from that, I did genuinely find Ock and his struggles interesting. He was a c@nt for stealing a man's life, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy him as a character. I mean, look at Hannibal Lecter... It's just that if the main title had been handled with more care as to avoid all those OOCMs, I think the run would've been remembered more fondly. But still, Team-Up was great every single month, so that fixes everything!

Anyway, to start this off, here's a question: If Peter truly were never to return and Ock was here to stay, what team would you like to see him in? Now, for this to work we need to change Ock's personality a bit, so that he wouldn't scream "SUPERIOOOOR" every 2 seconds and could function as a team member. What I'm asking is, would he fit better in the Avengers? Ultimates? His own team compromised of [...]?

Share your thoughts and praise be upon the...

I'll add my +1 to this easily:

The Superior run was the most refreshing and entertaining Spider-Man arc in decades, really one of the best ever
    in my opinion. Ock was so arrogant and narcissistic it rose to high comedy, the plot turns were just crazy and
    unexpected enough that it was always the book I was most excited to read for months.

The drama that erupted in the community about it was equally entertaining for me. Simply hilarious how passionate people
    were about what basically everyone knew would be a temporary sidetrip anyway.

Even the people that were claimed they were convinced that "Peter is never coming back" deep down knew that
    he was coming back lol. 'Marvel A-Listers Never Die - They Just Zombie Back to a New #1

iMan 42s

I'll say this about Superior, it definitely earned its name in the later half. It may be everything that went down outside and around the comic when it launched, but I do remember how Otto kept winning and he had to and thus it lacked stakes and served to only see how Otto could mutilate someone else. Later on though I'd say the costume change is where people should jump in if anything. Superior at that point is when it really shines and is objectively the story one needs to read in order to understand that arc.

It does have some of the best Spider-man writing as of recently. Superior is definitely worth checking out.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    I'll add my +1 to this easily:

The Superior run was the most refreshing and entertaining Spider-Man arc in decades, really one of the best ever
    in my opinion. Ock was so arrogant and narcissistic it rose to high comedy, the plot turns were just crazy and
    unexpected enough that it was always the book I was most excited to read for months.

The drama that erupted in the community about it was equally entertaining for me. Simply hilarious how passionate people
    were about what basically everyone knew would be a temporary sidetrip anyway.

Even the people that were claimed they were convinced that "Peter is never coming back" deep down knew that
    he was coming back lol. 'Marvel A-Listers Never Die - They Just Zombie Back to a New #1
    Exactly! It was so zany that, for the most part, you genuinely didn't know the way it was gonna go. Sure, you knew that he'd lose in the end because, come on, but still, his interactions, the way he handled things, they were all a breath of fresh air. No more whinning and "moment of clarity coupled with inspirational quote" plots. Ock was a jerk, but he got things done. He had a plan, the story had a flow, the art was for the most part great, everything just clicked with me.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I'll say this about Superior, it definitely earned its name in the later half. It may be everything that went down outside and around the comic when it launched, but I do remember how Otto kept winning and he had to and thus it lacked stakes and served to only see how Otto could mutilate someone else. Later on though I'd say the costume change is where people should jump in if anything. Superior at that point is when it really shines and is objectively the story one needs to read in order to understand that arc.

It does have some of the best Spider-man writing as of recently. Superior is definitely worth checking out.
    Personally, I think it'd be great if we could get an AU spin-off where Peter did die and all we had was Ock. The story would be allowed to evolve and not have a ticking clock. That's the only thing that hurt the book IMO. Ock could never do truly extraordinary and shocking things, because Peter had to come back and everyone had to inevitably accept them. Otto would realistically be smart enough to avoid being detected, but since the change-up had to be obvious, he went full-on cackling villain. Twas a wasted opportunity if you ask me. Still, I hope we get a new Vol sometime. Folks obviously liked the book as evident by the sales and the critical reception. It's the only book that I bought the peripherals of, truth be told.

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

To be honest with you I was one of the biggest Superior haters ever....

I never liked Doc Ock or his stupid powers, and I wouldn't have read any of the issues if I didn't already have a two year Subscription.

Looking back on Superior Spidey though I have to say it was one of the best Arcs ever! Loved the costume, loved the troubles in Otto's life, loved the advancements he made for Peter, and also loved his romance. Have to admit; I am missing the Superior run...Was glad Petey came back; but something about Superior was just awesome.
    Come join in the Love for He Whose Limbs Shatter Mountains and Whose Back Scrapes the Sun!http://community.comicbookresources....49#post1797949

The thought of Spock existing at Peter's expense scares me so I'll imagine a scenario where he has a cloned body. He didn't work well with the Avengers or Mighty Avengers but that was because of poor characterization. I could see him on the Squadron Supreme and fitting in especially since they don't have a go-to scientist but I believe he would do better starting his own team, maybe like the group he was leading in Spider-verse(all Spiders). He'd also do well teaching young heroes like those from Avengers Academy/Avengers Undercover but not to be evil or good but how to survive.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Girl 94 View Post
    To be honest with you I was one of the biggest Superior haters ever....

I never liked Doc Ock or his stupid powers, and I wouldn't have read any of the issues if I didn't already have a two year Subscription.

Looking back on Superior Spidey though I have to say it was one of the best Arcs ever! Loved the costume, loved the troubles in Otto's life, loved the advancements he made for Peter, and also loved his romance. Have to admit; I am missing the Superior run...Was glad Petey came back; but something about Superior was just awesome.
    Eh, I was already tired of Parker at that point, so I welcomed Superior. And I wasn't dissapointed, as I got exactly what I wanted, especially for the first few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    The thought of Spock existing at Peter's expense scares me so I'll imagine a scenario where he has a cloned body. He didn't work well with the Avengers or Mighty Avengers but that was because of poor characterization. I could see him on the Squadron Supreme and fitting in especially since they don't have a go-to scientist but I believe he would do better starting his own team, maybe like the group he was leading in Spider-verse(all Spiders). He'd also do well teaching young heroes like those from Avengers Academy/Avengers Undercover but not to be evil or good but how to survive.
    Honestly, I think that's the main reason people were so against it, the mind swap. Because yes, the thought of a 60 yo inside the body of a 30 yo is kinda creepy. But still, I thoroughly enjoyed Ock, much more than Parker in fact, and I'd like to see him return in some form. Truth be told, had Parker never returned, things would've turne out much differently, and we would've gotten a much more well-rounded Ock. Because no smart person would be dumb enough to burn bridges with everyone while acting like a fool.

As for teams, well, he would fit in the Squadron Supreme, that's true. Personally, I always though he'd be a good fit for the Unity Squad. Why? Well, he covers the scientist and well-known hero slot, plus, due to his past and exclusion from society, I could truly see him fighting for a cause as righteous as equality.

I still never got around to reading this. Is it worth reading from the very beginning?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    I still never got around to reading this. Is it worth reading from the very beginning?
    IMO, yes. Some characters act a bit too stupid and it's obvious something's wrong with Spider-Man, but Ock is so enjoyable that he makes up for it. I'd also check out "Superior Team-Up".

Absolutely! It is not only one of the craziest out-there ideas for Spidey that ever existed but it is very well presented and Slott takes us on a really fun ride for the majority of the 30 issues or so of the journey. The story only sags once or twice along the way and, unfortunately, doesn't end on a very high note due to what seems to be a rushed ending, likely because of the ASM movie opening at the time. Still, it is one of the high points in Spidey comics over the last decade or two IMO.

When I first heard what happened, I was mad. I bought the first issue of Superior and that was it. For like 10 months.
    Then I got all the old ones and continued the new ones trying to give it a shot... And boy... They were amazing. Dan Slott made somehow an evil villain with robot tentacles an anti hero controlling the mind of the most popular hero!

The first half was good, but after he got his new uniform for the second half, it was AMAZING! I'm excited to see what happens next with Doc. I'm thinking he's gonna be the guy in the "Dead returns" thingy.

Alright, I'm going to give it a read. Thanks for answering, guys.

I appreciate Superior Spider-Man~
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

I loooved Superior. I miss Spider-Man having giant robots and an army of Henchmen. xD

huge superior hater here but looking back i think i was just pissed i didn't have amazing at the same time.