small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Default Why's IDW's Popeye Classics gone so costly!?

Recently IDW's "Popeye Classics" has raised its cover price to $5--
    no increase in page count that I can find, no 'publisher's explanation,' either.
    It's all reprint material that for 40+ issues has been priced at $4.

Anyone know why? Will try writing IDW, but haven't had much luck getting a response to other 'letters of comment'. It's too bad--I really enjoy the outright wackiness of the Sagendorf comics; very much unique in these days of dark drama and muted colors. But I'll be dropping this title in a few issues as my sub/pre-orders run out. Bad enough when everyone started raising prices to $4; but that's pretty much how far I go, ESPECIALLY for reprint work--!

Anyone with answers, thank you!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I don't know - but maybe it's just the continuing costs of the venture. I mean, we're talking a 100 issue reprint series. Being reprints may make it cheap, but that's still over 8 years of monthly publication.

I'm still happy to buy the series (and it's only a bit above $4 for me with my membership discount at my comic shop), as 1) I love Popeye, 2) Sagendorf's Popeye comics are an underrated gem of comics history, and 3) it still contains roughly twice the page count of a modern, monthly comic.

What we do is secret Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

I noticed the same thing happened with the Yoe books (Haunted Horror, Weird Love). All reprint material too.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, The Goddamned, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy, King Conan, Last Gang in Town, Sherrif of Babylon, Stray Bullets, Usagi Yojimbo, Weird Love