Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: IDW Publishing

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    So whats your favourite IDW series?
    Satellite Falling

I just read the first two issues of Satellite Falling and it is definitely my favorite.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post
    Okay, just received my copy of Street Fighter X G.I. Joe. With Cammy and particularly Chun Li both gone so is my interest I'm afraid. Has there ever been a Streetfighter series that had Chun Li winning or does she always get relegated to jobber status? Seriously, if so, I'd like to find that one and read it.
    Have you read Street Fighter Legends: Chun Li published by UDON?

I just started reading Micronauts and really I'm liking it so far.
    The characters are likeable, the story is multi-layered and the dialogue is very good.

I hope they get at least one 'alien' looking member to fill in for Huntarr or Bug, though.
    Maybe something along the design of, well, Alien... or Marvel's Brood... would be interesting.

And I'm planning to get Rom after the price drops.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I just started reading Micronauts and really I'm liking it so far.
    The characters are likeable, the story is multi-layered and the dialogue is very good.

I hope they get at least one 'alien' looking member to fill in for Huntarr or Bug, though.
    Maybe something along the design of, well, Alien... or Marvel's Brood... would be interesting.

And I'm planning to get Rom after the price drops.
    Been enjoying it as well. I'd like to see them maybe make use of one of the alien toys like Kronos or Repto as a member of the team rather than just as cannon fodder--that'd be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Been enjoying it as well. I'd like to see them maybe make use of one of the alien toys like Kronos or Repto as a member of the team rather than just as cannon fodder--that'd be interesting to see.
    I'm actually surprised at how poorly it's been reviewed.
    I went and read the CBR and Newsarama reviews after I read #1-3... and they both seemed kinda biased.
    The Newsarama review in particular trashed the first issue for not revealing everything in the first issue and not holding the reader's hand.
    While the CBR review seemed to take marks off because it wasn't the classic Marvel characters.

I found it to be a lot better than the Devil's Due run, which I just couldn't get into because of the art.

Bunn seems to be building things up naturally, without the convenience of an established world or cast.

I find the war between the two Barons to be interesting, with Oz's group caught in the middle.
    I already suspect Karza's wife of her own motives...
    There's a real power struggle going on in the universe and it reads believably.

I like how Larissa and Biotron are added to the group.
    Microtron is enjoyable (he actually reminds me a lot of a cross between JLI's L-Ron and Claptrap from Borderlands... and I actually read his dialogue in my head with the same voice I used to read L-Ron, which is quite similar to Claptrap's).
    I like the twist on Acroyear's origin.

At first, Oz's appearance was a bit off to me... but as I read the third issue it made more sense... and I like the mythology Bunn is starting to create with the Time Travellers and the Entropy Wave.

I also like that it hits all the right notes for a space opera comic without having to resort to graphic violence to be taken 'seriously'. Not everyone cares to know if an artist studied enough anatomy to show the entrails or finer details of severed limbs or heads.

For me, Micronauts is a win.

The only thing I don't like is that the covers are misleading.
    I prefer covers that either represent the high points of the interior story or, if necessary, the typical posing 'pin-up' cover that's become standard practice.
    I almost didn't try Micronauts because the impression I got from the covers was that they were going to be focusing on a Land of the Giants type story with them stranded on Earth.

The only other thing I find bothersome, at least to me, is that their ship looks a great deal similar to Omega Men's ship.
    I'm actually hoping it gets destroyed and they get a new one just so they can shake the comparisons.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 07-30-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Yeah, a lot of the reviews of that first issue made some strange complaints, like the Micronauts not running around Earth at 4 inches height right off the gate. Like you said, those kinds of stories were never really the old book's strongest elements.

As for the covers, some of the subscription covers seem to more accurately represent the issues' interiors than the regular ones that usually have them having tiny adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Yeah, a lot of the reviews of that first issue made some strange complaints, like the Micronauts not running around Earth at 4 inches height right off the gate. Like you said, those kinds of stories were never really the old book's strongest elements.

As for the covers, some of the subscription covers seem to more accurately represent the issues' interiors than the regular ones that usually have them having tiny adventures.
    I'm really digging the action figure variants.
    Too bad they're not included in the digital copies. But then... I can find them with a Google search easily enough.

Btw... my introduction to Micronauts was with New Voyages. I had seen ads in the Bullpen Bulletin and letters pages prior, but never got to read any because there wasn't a comic shop anywhere around when I was a kid.
    I remember fawning over the cover to the first issue. Man, it was gorgeous!
    Fortunately, when I got older I bought the full run online.

I am reading this Micronauts series as a stand alone version of the past title.

This way I'm not complaining about whatever is not showing up from said previous series.

With that said, I do wish IDW could find a way to reprint the original Micronauts series.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I am reading this Micronauts series as a stand alone version of the past title.

This way I'm not complaining about whatever is not showing up from said previous series.

With that said, I do wish IDW could find a way to reprint the original Micronauts series.
    Sadly, I don't think the Micronauts reprints will ever happen.
    It's in that limbo that the Batman '66 tv show was in: too many rights holders involved.

The only way a reprint would happen is if it was a joint venture between IDW and Marvel. And Marvel simply wouldn't agree to it because they'd gain no benefit from reprinting them.
    They would see it as something promoting IDW's book and, in turn, supporting competition.

Maybe if Marvel decided to bring Enigma Force back as an ongoing it would somewhat interest them to negotiate with IDW and Hasbro as a way to promote their own book.
    But for that, they may be tempted to wait until IDW is no longer printing comics that could benefit from the exposure, lest Enigma Force would have to compete with Micronauts.

And if they wait until then, they may not see the current market as prime time for an Enigma Force series if similar books aren't popular enough. Which means, again, less likely a reprint would happen.

Of course, they could do an Enigma Force/Micronauts crossover leading into a new Enigma Force series. That would give them incentive to reprint the originals. However, IDW's been doing crossovers with DC as of late. So Marvel may not be interested.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 07-31-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Do you folks recommend the 30 Days of Night omnibuses if I'm looking for good horror comics? Planning on picking up Wormwood Gentleman Corpse omni and the Locke & Key slipcase set of TPBs.

All-New Member

Hi, does anyone know what happened to Empire Uprising?
    It is one of my favorites (with Ragnarok).

Quote Originally Posted by ComicFan70 View Post
    I liked the Action Man preview, so I'm going to give it a try myself.
    What's the deal with Action Man? He looks asian in some drawings, but in the preview he seems like a white guy... (is there more than one?)

Quote Originally Posted by thecoffeeman View Post
    Do you folks recommend the 30 Days of Night omnibuses if I'm looking for good horror comics? Planning on picking up Wormwood Gentleman Corpse omni and the Locke & Key slipcase set of TPBs.
    I love all of those titles. So yes, check them out!