Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: IDW Publishing

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaos X effect View Post
    I'm having 80s childhood withdrawal and have been thinking about jumping into Transformers and GI Joe. Anybody know when the next best jumping on point might be for those books? Are they any good?
    GI JOE: A Real American Hero #211 - Return of Serpentor!!

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye & Robots in Disguise just right in the middle of a huge x-over arc.. might want to wait a few months.

Or you can check out GI Joe/TF series which just had a trade out and new arc starting next week.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Amazing Member

Does GI Joe: Real American Hero and GI Joe follow the same story. It doesn't seem like it. Does the Snake Eyes mini that started this week tie into anything?

And Transformers and Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye are two different titles that are the same "universe"?

Does either series have any other books?

Sorry for not knowing this already. I appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Oh, to have been a child in the 1980s!

(That way I wouldn't have had to live through bad '70s fashions and disco when they were first in style.)
    That made me laugh because I always joke with my sister that she got the better deal by being a product of the 1970s. My formative years were late-70s early 80s (we shared Star Wars toys as kids) but I always considered 1970s music, film, TV and overall trends much cooler in retrospect. Sure fashions & disco are laughable now but look at the rest of the era and it's hard to argue. The Godfather movies, Zeppelin followed by the first punk era(Stooges & Sex Pistols), 70s tv shows like Wonder Woman & SWAT are all guilty faves for me now.

When it comes to comics, the 80s rules over the 70s of course. So there's that.

Does GI Joe: Real American Hero and GI Joe follow the same story. It doesn't seem like it. Does the Snake Eyes mini that started this week tie into anything?

And Transformers and Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye are two different titles that are the same "universe"?

Does either series have any other books?
    A Real American Hero is a continuation of the 80's Marvel Series. The other GI Joe series (and the Snake Eyes series) is a reboot series, they are not connected.

You can read each TF series by itself but they are interconnected with each despite none sharing any of the same characters (this may be untrue as I have not read either) And apparently More Than Meets The Eye is fantastic.

Amazing Member

Thanks for the help, Scott.

As a new reader, would you recommend A Real American Hero or the reboot?

...or both? Haha.

...or both? Haha.
    Both.

The reboot is darker and edgier but handled well. A real American hero seamlessly picks up where the original left off without skipping a beat. its excellent but also makes it easy for new readers to jump on at the same time
    Last edited by Gryphon; 01-15-2015 at 10:01 PM.

...or both? Haha.
    Never read the reboot, but i am reading the ARAH as it is written by the original series writer and a lot of fun.

Extraordinary Member

Is anyone reading X-Files? While I have found the series itself to be quite inconsistent I really enjoyed the X-Files Year Zero mini as well as the standalone story in the X-Mas issue. Hopefully they follow up with more stories of Bing and Millie as I feel the setting is really ripe for X-Files stories.

Amazing Member

After looking into things and getting advice here...

I think I'm going to just jump into GI Joe A Real American Hero, GI Joe, GI Joe Snake Eyes, Transformers, and Transformers More Than Meets The Eye and well...just see what happens!

After looking into things and getting advice here...

I think I'm going to just jump into GI Joe A Real American Hero, GI Joe, GI Joe Snake Eyes, Transformers, and Transformers More Than Meets The Eye and well...just see what happens!
    Im on Vol 7 of ARAH, **** gets crazy.. Its so action packed, it never lets up.

Anybody reading Baldur's Gate? Or Judge Dredd? I'm digging both, though D&D Baldur's Gate is my first foray in D&D comics, I'm finding it engrossing. Same with Dredd, Altjough there's 26 issues out ( this is an American spin on the 2000 AD comics) I've just started reading. Some catching up to do ( I'm on #6 now) there's just nobody telling better stories now than Duane Swierczinsky; between this and Dark Horse X, he's just knocking it out of the park.

All-New Member

I've skipped the newest G.I. Joe because... well, I hate everything about it. The writing and art stink.
    But this new G.I. Joe: Snake Eyes: Agent of Cobra was intriguing enough for me to take a look at.
    I'm hooked. This is Paolo Villanelli's first credit for full interior art. He's a future star. This is the best looking Joe book I can recall seeing. Highly recommended.

I took a 20 year Hiatus from reading comics, IDW Transformers got me back in.
    I have a massive collection now, and I do read a few other titles outside of IDW. But this is my #1 book.

Is there a dedicated thread for Transformers IDW G1 Continuty Discussion?

Just grabbed the Judge Dredd Classic from this week, the colouring is okay and the art by Brian Bolland is great collects both Judge Death and Judge Death Lives part 1.

Anyone pick up the new Galaxy Quest?
    Host of Loose Staples: A Comic Book Podcast