Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: IDW Publishing

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    This week the IDW titles for June came out. I notice of the Hasbro universe only Transformers is listed. I know they are building toward the arrival of Unicron in their Transformers universe but I don't know if it is suppose to be the bases for the conclusion of the Hasbro Universe that started with Reveloution. The only G.I. Joe title is the continuation of the Marvel series. There has not been a second Action Man series since the first ended. No new Rom or Micronaunts or G.I. Joe or MASK. Have the titles failed or is IDW waiting to relaunch them after the publication of the conclusion of the Hasbro Universe trilogy?
    Well it's hard to do anything when you got folks take issue with ANYTHING done with the books.

Especially with folks taking issue with every single POC, LGBT and females in the books. We saw a petition to get Brandon Easton fired from MASK before the first issue. We now got D&C screaming SJW this and that nonsense. Funny most few the folks I have seen complain-are not reading the books or haven't CARED about that 80s property in the first place.

Folks FAIL to realize HASBRO owns those guys and maybe a lot of that stuff was done at their request. And if Hasbro left-where are they going to go where those books would get ordered? And if they left everything like it was in the 80s-would the complainers buy it?

Get woke,go broke.

Did Clue get alternate endings? I remember reading articles when it was coming out saying that it was going to have alternate endings... but I can't find anything about issue #6 that suggests there are. There are 2 variant covers, but are the stories in those issues different? Is this something saved for the TPB maybe?

Mighty Member

Well it's hard to do anything when you got folks take issue with ANYTHING done with the books.
    The real debate here is how many of the complainers are the ones buying the comics. (My sense is that the complainers are a significant percentage. But, that is just a guess on my part. The sales numbers on the IDW comics tend to be low, making the complainers and obsessives more important.)

While Hasbro has always owned Transformers, Joe, etc, the level of control they have exerted has fluctuated over the years, for good and ill. Not sure how hard Hasbro is leaning on IDW now.

People buy Transformers to read about Transformers, not Transformers with shoe-horned other properties included for no apparent reason. Really, does anyone actually give a good ol' fashioned darn about Visionaries? I grew up in the 80's and even I barely remember them.
    The idea was for Transformers to carry the other properties. At least TF fans could avoid the other properties. Most of the other series had TF, not the other way around.

I grew up in the 80's and even I barely remember them.
    I loved the "Visionaries" cartoon. I wanted to like the toys, but could not. (They were terrible.)

But, yes, it was obscure 30 years ago, never mind now.

All of the Hasbro properties are in varying degrees of trouble though.

I forget the hard numbers, but Bayformers 5 did not do as well as it needed to. (Paramount actually cancelled the Hasbro movies that were slated to come out after "Bumblebee", which is only happening because it was far enough along.)

All of the comics have declining sales numbers (from hardly-stellar starts).

It is fun to blame Sitterson for the problems with "GI Joe", and he certainly did not help. But, Joe has been mis-handled. Too many fans want Joe to be what it was in the 80s, and it simply cannot be. (When stuff like "Halo" or "Call of Duty" is viable, Joe can be as well. But, it cannot be 80s Joe.)

Hama ran out of ideas for the original Joe series before it ended in the 90s. And, his writing style has not kept up with the times. The retro-Joe series is...bad. Bad breakdowns, bad dialogue and no focus. (The art is passable.) The "Death of Snake Eyes" was terrible. The titular moment was a clumsy set-piece.

The other properties just do not have support. (Easton made an honest effort with "MASK". But, it was not enough.)

Transformers (with 3 ongoing series, usually with a mini or two) is the relative power-house. But, it has also been losing sales. IDW's handling of the license bottle-necked. Readers have the choice of a series that reads like the sort of fanfic one would find on Tumbr, or they can read a generic "stasis quo" series where the biggest changes are undoing changes from when IDW was more daring with the license. (Marvel and DC do that better, and with a less anemic tone.)

TF needs the upcoming reboot. And, Ryall is bitter.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Ultimate Member

The sales numbers on the IDW comics tend to be low, making the complainers and obsessives more important.)
    While Hasbro has always owned Transformers, Joe, etc, the level of control they have exerted has fluctuated over the years, for good and ill. Not sure how hard Hasbro is leaning on IDW now.
    There is an issue when you have folks CALLING Hasbro to get them to fire IDW employees. Especially when all they do is attack POC, LGBT & women.

(Easton made an honest effort with "MASK". But, it was not enough.)
    There were fans trying to get him fired with a petition and claim MASK belong tho them not Hasbro.

IDW's handling of the license bottle-necked
    Is it them or is it really HASBRO?

And seeing Hasbro now has the Power Rangers-everybody might as well get ready to see Transformers, Rom, MASK, GI JOE, Visionaries, Action man & Power Ranger universe.

No way on Earth we will NOT see some version of the Rangers interact with those franchises.

Mighty Member

There is an issue when you have folks CALLING Hasbro to get them to fire IDW employees. Especially when all they do is attack POC, LGBT & women.
    Aubrey Sitterson made a consistent effort to troll fans. The real push to get him fired was at the end of q3 2017, when he decided to virtue signal about September 11th, in an attempt to make the day about him.

There were fans trying to get him fired with a petition and claim MASK belong tho them not Hasbro.
    Da fuq?!?!?

Seriously? Do you have a link for this? I *really* need to read this story.

And seeing Hasbro now has the Power Rangers-everybody might as well get ready to see Transformers, Rom, MASK, GI JOE, Visionaries, Action man & Power Ranger universe.
    A crossover is inevitable, and not necessarily a bad idea. But, it may exist in an editorial vacuum, rather than a cohesive "universe". Considering how quickly and comprehensively the Hasbro universe unraveled, part of the reboot might be meant to separate the different properties again.

Given Barber's history in the industry, I am inclined to blame him (and thus IDW) for the anemic quality of TF comics the last few years.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

I reject these claims that the quality of the TF titles has been 'anemic' or 'fan fiction'. Roberts has done wonders with MTMTE and LL, consistently turning B Characters into beings who are fully fleshed out and you end up caring about. It's silly at times, tragic at others but always masterfully written with every revelation having great lead up and hints. All while exploring the lore and history of Cybertron itself.
    I liked the stories with Windblade and her battle of wits and morality with Starscream.
    If there was any weak link, it was the Optimus centred tales of late - the Junkions were just ... suddenly there. But I also think this weakness comes from the forced inclusion of other properties such as GI Joe and ROM.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

LL has been nowhere near how great MtMtE was. In my opinion anyway. The cast is way too big now and LL focuses on characters I couldn't care less for. 55 or so issues of MtMtE.. and then a relaunch with added characters. Not what I was looking forward to. I'll stick around until the end, but the quality has certainly dipped.

I would agree with that, actually. I'm still really enjoying LL but the shift to characters I really don't like/sympathise with at the cost of the ones we've known for ages didn't help. I also think, and this isn't Robert's fault by any stretch, that this conclusion phase seems very rushed.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Yeah, Roberts says it's not and that he gets to end it the way he wants to, but it's tough to believe him with Unicron ending the universe.

Also, Alex Milne not being the regular artist is a crime against humanity.

Ultimate Member

https://www.change.org/p/idw-publish...r-from-m-a-s-k

Here is that Matt Trakker petition

We the Fans of M.A.S.K. first off are delighted and proud that M.A.S.K. is back in the media with IDW and Hasbro's new cinematic universe.

Now with a relaunch and re imagining change is expected. There are a few issues we have. The biggest issue is the race change of Matt Trakker. Now nobody is advocating and suggesting Matt Trakker can't be black.
    Notice what it said about Matt.

This as you know is not a racially biased petition this would be going up if you gave him red hair and a funny mustache. The only thing we didn't really want changed was the look of Matt Trakker.
    Notice they keep talking about his LOOKS.

We have been waiting close to thirty years for new M.A.S.K. material and want Matt Trakker retconned to his non race swap character. We have just come to expect Matt to have a certain look. You could have changed any other character such as Mayhem but Matt is almost Sacred to us.
    So it's OKAY to make say Mayhem black but NOT Matt.

Restore Matt. While you are currently in charge of this project as the writer you must remember Matt doesn't belong to you, he belongs to the fans.
    So fans paid I think over 555 million for the rights to Kenner in 1987? Gee I though Hasbro.

How is MASK selling these days?
    Yeah,didnt think so.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGunStar View Post
    How is MASK selling these days?
    Yeah,didnt think so.
    It ended with issue 10.

And those were fake fans. If you have an issue with Matt-you would not want anyone else changed.

It looks like those fake fans just didnt buy the book.Problem solved.Oh wait...

Highly doubtful that the support of all 127 people who signed that petition would've been enough to keep the book around anyway so it's a moot point, beyond how hilarious it is to imagine getting this upset about IDW trying to make Trakker look like anything other than Duke With A Helmet.

I did like the M.A.S.K. book - the annual was especially good fun - but beyond striking a balance between cartoon faithfulness and necessary modern update, it never quite found a real niche or angle for itself.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.