Default Pre-Flashpoint Justice League recommendations

I'd like to dabble into the pre-Flashpoint era of JL and JLA since I love Johns' New 52 JL so much.

I'd like to keep the stories in the modern era (90s and 00's). What arcs and runs do you guys say are best?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

You need JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA THE SILVER AGE (1960,1961 collects the first issues) because of the pretty Darwyn Cooke cover and its nice to flip through and be reminded of where it all starts.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

The JLA Deluxe Editions Vol. 1-5 (with Grant Morrison and Mark Waid's runs) are phenomenal - Morrison's run in particular set the standard for modern superhero team comics, and Johns said it was his own favorite run on the title - and I hear a lot of people like 6-7 (Joe Kelly's run) as well. If you can track it down, Mark Waid and Barry Kitson's JLA: Year One is great too (though it's subject to the then-current continuity, and so has an 'original' lineup of Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Black Canary and Martian Manhunter), as is its sequel The Brave & The Bold focusing specifically on Green Lantern and Flash. And while I'm...not one of them, a lot of people also really love Identity Crisis.
    Buh-bye