Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default When is DC going to actually USE the multiverse?

Yes, we have things like Earth One and Earth Two (at least for now), but what about all those other worlds they created? The Charlton universe? Or that pulp universe? Or Earth 32, the home of Super-president? Why create these worlds if you're not going to do anything with them? Just for Morrison to play with? I'm sure nobody wants a sequel to Kingdom Come or New Frontiers but there are plenty of "corporate" Earths they could do stuff with. As someone else once said, DC has a problem with letting others play with Morrison's toys but they aren't really his.

I would love for them to do miniseries on each Earth under Tales of the Multiverse or just pick one of the 7 Earth's Morrison left blank to tell some stories.

It would be nice if they just started doing elseworlds stuff again.

The crime syndicate from earth 3 are easy to use on prime earth as villains vs the JL. Once the earth 2 reboot is done, can do a team up with the earth 2 justice society. I would also like to see a earth with legacy JL composed of Dick, Donna, Supergirl, Wally and Kyle.

Multiversity makes me think of one of those situations where a group of friends are hanging out and one of them's clearly not on the same level as the others and keeps getting talked over or ignored.
    Part of me hopes that Morrison's tenure as EIC at Heavy Metal will eventually lead to him taking over a regular comic company. That will be interesting.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I don't think anyone else is allowed to play with Grant's toys.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Yes, we have things like Earth One and Earth Two (at least for now), but what about all those other worlds they created? The Charlton universe? Or that pulp universe? Or Earth 32, the home of Super-president? Why create these worlds if you're not going to do anything with them? Just for Morrison to play with? I'm sure nobody wants a sequel to Kingdom Come or New Frontiers but there are plenty of "corporate" Earths they could do stuff with. As someone else once said, DC has a problem with letting others play with Morrison's toys but they aren't really his.
    Actually Earth-32 is the home of Super Martian, Bat Lantern, Wonder Hawk, etc

You must mean Earth-23.
    Last edited by Rod G; 03-13-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

It would be nice to see them start using other worlds again like they were pre-COIE
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Talk about limited attention spans . . . how recently did they (re-)establish all those other universes? Should they just throw a bunch of them into bad stories right away, or maybe wait to see if / when any writers (other than Grant Morrison?) may have a possibly good idea that would make use of one?

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    I would love for them to do miniseries on each Earth under Tales of the Multiverse or just pick one of the 7 Earth's Morrison left blank to tell some stories.
    I agree, I think this would work. A simple series of miniseries one after another showcasing different worlds.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

They don't seem to learn from their mistakes, so probably never. I mean, Rebirth was the perfect time to do this in regards to bringing back classic concepts...but instead of setting stuff on other Earths, it seems like they want to just jam it all onto the main Earth again. As if clutterearth wasn't already tried and failed. I defend this regime when I feel its warranted, but when it comes to looking at the mistakes of the past and not repeating them, they're pretty dense.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Well, DC's been using Earth-2 for a while and featured that world in two books and a weekly. Sure, they were terrible but the focus was there.

Justice League has dealt with Earth-3 quite a bit.

I dont see any reason why some of the digital first titles cant be considered a part of the multiverse, like Bombshells and Arrow and Batman 66.

Morrison's Multiversity is getting a sequel.

And there's an Earth-2 book post-Rebirth, and nothing to say that will be the only title set on that world, or that other titles wont be on other worlds. There's a decent chance that Superwoman is going to be about Karen on Earth-2 with a new name (pulling a Carol "Captain Marvel" Danvers style upgrade perhaps) and Super Sons could easily be set on Morrison's The Just earth, or one along those lines.

As I understand it, Justice League 3000/1 isn't set on the main earth.

But odds are DC wont utilize the concept like they should. I feel like they're stills scared of committing the same sin that lead to the first Crisis, while completely ignoring the damage and limitations that clutter-earth created.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I feel like everything DC has done recently involves the multiverse...

I can't wait to get back to telling stories!

BANNED

I don't believe DC thinks that stories using the multiverse will in and of themselves sell comic books, unless a writer has a particular idea that revolves around it.

So I don't think they are asking writers to come up with stories that use the multiverse, although I'm sure if a writer came up with such a story and it sounded good, they would consider it.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Talk about limited attention spans . . . how recently did they (re-)establish all those other universes? Should they just throw a bunch of them into bad stories right away, or maybe wait to see if / when any writers (other than Grant Morrison?) may have a possibly good idea that would make use of one?
    It just seems like they're putting artificial limitations on themselves by only making 52 worlds and then they filled them up as quickly as they could. Why? Just so Morrison can only do one story? The assumption was, at least on my end, that they made these worlds (I assume Morrison was at least given orders to create them) because they had some kind of long term plans for them. If you're only going to allow yourself a limited number of worlds, why not wait and be cautious about how you use them? Set aside ten or so for popular Elseworlds stories and then only use the others when you have a really good idea for an ongoing or a mini.

Some of these new Earth's look like they've been set up for stories but nothing's been done with them in the two or so years since the Multiversity was set up. Earth 16 honestly looked like it was being set up for a series where the old heroes are forced to come out of retirement because their children are in danger. Even the initial story Morrison did of them suggested this. Or the Super-president. All kinds of things could be done with a president who is also Superman (and living in a world where the "born a US citizen" clause still exists). I honestly thought one of the things that Rebirth would have done away with was the limited number of Earths.