Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xon-Ur View Post
    I agree about a Exiles type series. Morrison had a similar idea with his team of Supermen from across the Multiverse in Final Night. Instead, you could have a team comprised of different versions of DC characters that travels the Multiverse, perhaps going on missions for the Monitors or simply going on adventures.

Justice League Infinity would be a good title, since Justice League is about to become the new "Bat" at DC and WB with regards to marketing.
    Morrison even gave us that team at the end of Multiversity. I like your suggestion of Infinity for the name better than Incarnate though:
    Justice_Incarnate.jpg
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Imperius Rex Show View Post
    I'd love to see Grant do a follow up series to several of the universes he started in Multiversity, but it seems like a lot of them were kind of one-offs. And I'd be worried what another writer might do to what he established (not that many writers tend to pick up from where Grant leaves things). Either way, he's got my money on anything he puts out there.
    While I like Grant's writing overall, there are several cases where I'd prefer that someone else take the reins and do something different. Earth-16, for example: I have no interest in reading a book that deliberately emulates the melodrama of soap operas; but I would like to read more stories featuring the Justice League's children and protégés that Morrison based Earth-16 on; so I'd love a series set on Earth-16 that downplays or ignores the “shallow, meaningless lives” aspect of Morrison's “Multiversity: the Just” and instead focuses on them stepping up and becoming heroes that would make their predecessors proud.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

This talk of a team just made me think of something else. What if instead of a team that travels the multiverse and interacts with it, it was one individual or team that observes different events in the multiverse with some type of device that detects events that should be observed. Basically the traveler(s) would arrive on the earth in question and then uncover what was detected in the time stream that needed to be seen but would not actively interact with it. Just observe Maybe they have tech that keeps them invisible or something. Basically it would open up the possibility to tell stories on any of the earths and see what type of reaction the earth is given by readers.

Something like the Guardians of the UNiverse only it would be multiverse and instead of soldiers who keep the peace, they are observers?

We already have comic book readers, thank you.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    The fact that similar things have not sold well?
    Someone else asked what else has not sold well. Are we talking out of continuity books like All-Star Superman, Watchmen (and prequels), and Dark Knight Returns (and sequels?)? What I can add is that of the original nu52 books, only 11 made it to the present. Of those 11, five have been published for the past 75 years. Three more have been nearly regular for over 50 years. Most stuff doesn't sell well. The fact that Earth 2 has been given a Rebirth opportunity despite multiple new directions and some really horrible writing speaks to that book's audience.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Someone else asked what else has not sold well. Are we talking out of continuity books like All-Star Superman, Watchmen (and prequels), and Dark Knight Returns (and sequels?)? What I can add is that of the original nu52 books, only 11 made it to the present. Of those 11, five have been published for the past 75 years. Three more have been nearly regular for over 50 years. Most stuff doesn't sell well. The fact that Earth 2 has been given a Rebirth opportunity despite multiple new directions and some really horrible writing speaks to that book's audience.
    Most stuff doesn't sell well, but a lot of stuff sells better than most of "Convergence" and its alternate realities. Or Prez/Green Team/Bizarro/Bat-Mite and their lack of fitting in with the main continuity.

BANNED

The fact that similar things have not sold well?
    Most stuff doesn't sell well, but a lot of stuff sells better than most of "Convergence" and its alternate realities. Or Prez/Green Team/Bizarro/Bat-Mite and their lack of fitting in with the main continuity.
    Is your avatar pic an attempt at being ironic? Because you're posts are EXACTLY the kind of thing you'd hear Comic Book Guy say, or in this case, write.

Really? Did New 52's Blue Beetle sell better than DCYou's Prez? And how are you confirming that, say, Bat-Mite's poor showing was from its poor fit with continuity? (as opposed to, say, Bat-Mite not being someone that most people are interested in reading about.)
    Rogue wears rouge.

Of the four non-Convergence series you mentioned, do you really believe that "not fitting into the main continuity" was a primary reason people did or did not read those books?

As for Convergence, yeah, not mattering to the current continuity probably hurt sales of that as opposed to DC's previous and subsequent series. Copies of the main series still sold at least 100,000, though. And I doubt the 40 tie-ins would differ that much from a lot of other new books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Of the four non-Convergence series you mentioned, do you really believe that "not fitting into the main continuity" was a primary reason people did or did not read those books?

As for Convergence, yeah, not mattering to the current continuity probably hurt sales of that as opposed to DC's previous and subsequent Copies of the main series still sold at least 100,000. I doubt the 40 tie-ins would differ that much from a lot of other new books.
    He just says whatever he can to troll. I recommend ignoring him.

I knew when it was first rumored that Convergence wouldn't impact the Earth-0 continuity and I was appalled then and when I read the published stories. It was yet another ridiculous move on the part of DC editorial. They should have had the Earth-0 characters meet the other versions and used that as a main selling point of the series; instead, they created a series that had massive repercussions (undoing of the COIE and 30 years of continuity that followed) and yet it didn't affect the main books at all at the time. It's this kind of editorial disconnect and blatant mismanagement that has brought DC to its current place in the larger scheme of the industry. The problem began long before 2011, though...

Well, of course you're not telling DC anything here. DC doesn't review these boards. Mainly because this is a hardcore group that doesn't actually represent the larger, more casual readership.

but some of the Pros do, and some of them participate, I am sure other people at DC review the boards and even respond under false names.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Convergence does not count, it was just a filler event
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by Lairston View Post
    Something like the Guardians of the UNiverse only it would be multiverse and instead of soldiers who keep the peace, they are observers?
    Marvel's Watchers, you mean?

But I'm not sure why you need characters doing that. Just tell the stories. Although I suppose watchers could be used as a framing device, feeding the readers a little exposition on the Multiverse and the particular world of the story.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Convergence does not count, it was just a filler event
    You're still saying that after Convergence #8, Superman: Lois and Clark, Telos, and the upcoming appearances of Superdad and Parallax in Superman and Green Lantern?

It was a filler event; but it wasn't just a filler event.

That said, it's an irrelevant point. The question isn't whether Convergence was “filler” or “meaningful”; it's about how well it sold, and whether its not-Earth-0 nature is what hurt its sales.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Well, of course you're not telling DC anything here. DC doesn't review these boards. Mainly because this is a hardcore group that doesn't actually represent the larger, more casual readership.
    EDIT

I'm editing out what I wrote here. It was too snarky. It really bugged me when you said that fans talking about things they would like to see that were (in your opinion) things DC wouldn't do for sales reasons were being "pointless and self-destructive," as if there's something the matter with them because their conversation doesn't hold up to your standards of what's important.

But I realize that's just the way you see these things. I'm not going to talk you out of it. Be well.
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 03-16-2016 at 07:42 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/