Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Go Phillies

Default How many of you are buying Superheavy?

I gave up comics for Lent, but I'll be down at my comic book store on Wednesday and will wait (for what will seem like a freaking eternity) until the 27th to read it. I can't wait, especially with how good the other seven volumes were. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Omar 382 View Post
    I gave up comics for Lent, but I'll be down at my comic book store on Wednesday and will wait (for what will seem like a freaking eternity) until the 27th to read it. I can't wait, especially with how good the other seven volumes were. Anyone else?
    You might be lucky . . . I'm less-than-thrilled with Snyder's writing on a monthly basis. I had decided after Death of the Family that if I would read any more of his work I'd trade-wait and then go with want I was interested in (haven't decided if/when I'll bother with the Endgame arc or not), but I went back to buying it in monthly issues to see how Bat-Jim went. And while the concept(s) are interesting enough, the writing is sometimes over the top and less-than-enjoyable. (The problems with Snyder's writing don't seem quite as glaring in the tpb collections when everything is all together and you don't have the soap opera waits every month.)

Incredible Member

I am. I trade wait only and I think Snyders run is decent enough to keep me buying.

I trade wait Batman too but I won't be getting Superheavy straight away.

BANNED

I will totally get Superheavy. I have all The Snyder&Capullo run as trade so far, i'm a trade waiter too.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I'm planning on reading the trade at some point although I'll just be waiting for a local library branch to get it instead of buying it. Frankly, I got bored with Snyder's work after Endgame was finished and just wasn't interested in reading any more "big" Batman stories.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

I read it, hell a lot of people read it, given it's sales lol.

I love the way he writes Jim, its a very refreshing change, and emphasizes just how good Bruce it at his job.

I also very much enjoy the change in perspective that being Batman is tragic, because it is. I know people love to see it as a story where he overcomes his parents' death...and it is. However, it can, and is both. It is quite clear that being Batman has become an obsession, and that Batman, for all his mental fortitude, is a broken man who can't live a happy life, even temporarily, like other heroes do. What doesn't to himself, and how he treats others, including his friends, and family...it's not healthy. So yeah, while it started off as a redemption story, it's long since, even before Snyder, become a tragedy. I mean the man has had 5 Robins, two of which died, and one that was beaten damn near to death. What kinda person gets more under aged sidekicks, after that? He's not right.

Thus it's nice to have a Batman that's sane, while doing the job, and realizing how absurd, yet cool, the job is at the same time. He'll definitely quit, lol, but he'll likely keep the suit, and gadgets, for emergencies.

Im super excited to pick up volume eight of Synders batman run. Hope it is better than endgame because being completely honest I didn't get why people loved Endgame? if I were to give endgame a score it would be a 2/5. The biggest thing I'm looking forward to in this latest installment is finding out who or what Mr.Bloom is.

The Claw of Justice!

I have a great fondness for Snyder and Capullo's run, as it was the first ever monthly comic I read. However, I dropped it partway through Superheavy, as I didn't enjoy Endgame and my pull list was too big. I plan to catch up now, though, so I'll be buying all the issues I missed soon.

Go Phillies

Wow, I can't believe I spent $17 on this on Comixology. One of the weaker collected comic books I've ever read. Gordon was uninteresting and the subplot with the kid was even worse. What a disappointment.

BANNED

I've enjoyed the Snyder / Capullo run immensely thus far. After buying all the issues monthly, I started trade-waiting starting with Zero Year (which I didn't think would be good, but it was fantastic; I also really enjoyed Endgame).

After picking up the first issue of Bat Gordo, I decided I wanted to read it in one sitting also.

I've ordered the trade, supposed to arrive tomorrow. I just wish it was the entire story.

I trade wait with everything and have been so keen to read this arc, however i'm waiting for the paperback trade. Why dc doesn't release hc and pb trades out at the same time i don't know

Superheavy isn't good as other Snyder&Capullo arcs but i will buy it.

BANNED

Just got it delivered today finally, read the whole thing tonight in one sitting. I really enjoyed it. It does seem to take a couple issues to get going, and for Snyder to find Jim's voice as Batman. By the time Gordon settles into the role for a few issues, it's great. I haven't read a "hero replaced" story quite like this.

I'm really intrigued to see where it's all going, even though they introduce a giant mcguffen in the third issue that seems like it'll play a part in restoring the normal status quo.

The art, by the team of Capullo, Miki and FCO, is extraordinary as usual.

The issue pencilled by Jock took me out of the flow of the story quite a bit. But it's actually a nicely poignant story.

I rate this collection a bit below Zero Year and Endgame, but this is another fantastic series of issues, all in all.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I think when Vol 8 & 9 are out & read together, all of Superheavy will end up better than Endgame even. I like Endgame a lot, but the 75th kinda forced Snyder to do what should have been a longer drawn out story into 6 issues.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”