Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Marvel long lost sidekicks, the New Champions

https://www.gamesradar.com/spider-bo...ariant-covers/

A series of variant covers, and I’m not gonna lie most of them look…pretty awful.

But the chance is there for any or all of them to make the jump to the 616 proper. Someone at Marvel’s been reading Stargirl and The Lost Children.

I guess they finally using Wolverine's son, Erista

Last edited by Mutant God; 07-14-2023 at 06:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I guess they finally using Wolverine's son, Erista
    And what about Colossus's son?
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Peter...el)_(Earth-616)
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I don't see a cover with a metal kid so I guess nothing.

Astonishing Member

They're just what ifs.

What a weird variant theme. I wonder how much thought they put into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    https://www.gamesradar.com/spider-bo...ariant-covers/

A series of variant covers, and I’m not gonna lie most of them look…pretty awful.

But the chance is there for any or all of them to make the jump to the 616 proper. Someone at Marvel’s been reading Stargirl and The Lost Children.
    That's how Gwenpool got her start so there's precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    They're just what ifs.
    ^^^True, but…

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    …Marvel is always willing to run w. anything they believe might sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What a weird variant theme. I wonder how much thought they put into this.
    I've noticed Marvel has done this more frequently, and I think the hope is they get one out there that resonates and they can get another Gwenpool out of it.

Yeah. This.

Ultimate Member

Yall do know Disney (mainly the executives) wanted her GONE as they did not understand why she was popular to begin with.

Marvel REFUSED and that is why we got the Leah Williams Gwenpool book. A book she was NOT trying to pitch-she was trying for Colossus.

So unless those folks are gone-I don't think these guys are going anywhere and WHY do this when you have way more other sitting collecting dust.

It is the 50-30th anniversary for some folks.

Alpha Flight turns 40 this year. Lockheed too.

Mantis, Nightshade, Brother Voodoo, Bladem Hellstorm and Moondragon are 50.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Yall do know Disney (mainly the executives) wanted her GONE as they did not understand why she was popular to begin with.

Marvel REFUSED and that is why we got the Leah Williams Gwenpool book. A book she was NOT trying to pitch-she was trying for Colossus.

So unless those folks are gone-I don't think these guys are going anywhere and WHY do this when you have way more other sitting collecting dust.

It is the 50-30th anniversary for some folks.

Alpha Flight turns 40 this year. Lockheed too.

Mantis, Nightshade, Brother Voodoo, Bladem Hellstorm and Moondragon are 50.
    ^^^Do Disney execs really micromanage to the point of approving every new character Marvel creates? I don’t think so but okay.

As to why create potentially new characters instead of using pre-existing characters that are in limbo? Hell, that’s the eternal question isn’t it, w. dozens of potential answers none of which will necessarily be good reasons.

Anyway and on a brighter nostalgic note, hard to believe Alpha Flight’s turning FORTY this year!
    I still remember picking up the first issue at an actual NYC newsstand and running home to read (and reread) it till I was dragged away kicking and screaming.

There's only two among these I can see working - and one of those would be as an existing character.

Captain America's is easy to explain. Member of the Captains Network which debuted in the United States of Captain America mini. Also, her wings look like Nadia's, so have her also be a member of GIRL (which also means they could say Janet designed the costume).

The Avengers one is a kid White Vision, which would mean he's emotionless, right? Could be a resurrected Vin Vision, Viv's brother.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's only two among these I can see working - and one of those would be as an existing character.

Captain America's is easy to explain. Member of the Captains Network which debuted in the United States of Captain America mini. Also, her wings look like Nadia's, so have her also be a member of GIRL (which also means they could say Janet designed the costume).

The Avengers one is a kid White Vision, which would mean he's emotionless, right? Could be a resurrected Vin Vision, Viv's brother.
    ^^^Nice!
    I esp. like your take on a possible Vin Vision resurrection. Talk about like father like son.

For some reason the Moon Knight sidekick caught my attention.
    And it reminded me of MK’s original sidekick Midnight. I remember enjoying “Round Robin: The Sidekick's Revenge” from back in the early nineties that ran in the Amazing Spider-man book, that featured MK and a bunch of other characters.

It’d be interesting to see MK w. a new young sidekick and have Midnight show back up in some sort of Red Hood type scenario.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 07-15-2023 at 04:20 AM.

I was reading the comments on twitter.
    It's amusing to see the 21th century Champions fans being all "not my Champions".
    Less amusing to see bigotted people being triggered at Ororo having a white sidekick or Carol having a male sidekick.

Anyway, there are several cool concept arts, and a couple of very lazy ones.
    It's obvious that Marvel is trying to get another Spider-Gwen out of it. Not sure if that's still possible, but why not?
    At this point, I don't care anymore. Most of the new characters I liked from the early 2000s got forgotten or killed in favor of the legacy darlings. So If now some of those legacy darlings get pushed in limbo in favor of glorified sidekicks, so be it.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I was reading the comments on twitter.
    It's amusing to see the 21th century Champions fans being all "not my Champions".
    Less amusing to see bigotted people being triggered at Ororo having a white sidekick or Carol having a male sidekick.

Anyway, there are several cool concept arts, and a couple of very lazy ones.
    It's obvious that Marvel is trying to get another Spider-Gwen out of it. Not sure if that's still possible, but why not?
    At this point, I don't care anymore. Most of the new characters I liked from the early 2000s got forgotten or killed in favor of the legacy darlings. So If now some of those legacy darlings get pushed in limbo in favor of glorified sidekicks, so be it.
    ^^^”Not my Champions” is what I said when the teen team debuted!