Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blink7 View Post
    "Why I Don't Need Miles Morales in Captain America: Civil War... Because There are Already 3 Black Characters in the Movie Already."
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdez90 View Post
    He never really gave a reason for not needing Miles besides "we have 3 black people in the movie already."
    Dwayne McDuffie was right. 3 and it's a black movie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u16sKK-1oLQ

Nevermind that Miles is half-Latino and there aren't any Latinos onscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    That whole "people don't know who Miles is" is nothing more then a myth
    Yeah I think when he's introduced it will be pretty popular.

As for Steve Rogers, eventually the MCU is going to at least move on from the founders if not replace them with legacy characters. Probably just replace them with new ones, a Cap Marvel maybe swapped in?

BANNED

Correction as he's A Spider-Man everyone knows, last I checked earlier this year there are two record setting episodes for the current Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. First one is the series premier and the second is Miles' debut episode, that's not including the merch push he's gotten which includes a quick sell out of a popular Disney plushie line.

I think you are confusing the general public and comics fans. Most comics fans know who Miles is, but that doesn't mean that most of the rest of the world (and probably 85% of the audience for a big tent-pole blockbuster movie) knows anything about Miles. I am a long time comics reader, and I don't recall seeing ANYTHING in mainstream media about him, and I watch for that kind of thing.

Astonishing Member

Wow I'm usually a fan of this guy's writing but he really dropped the ball hard in this article. Essentially he boils down to the fact that most likely his favorite superhero, black panther, is getting his screen time, and there's already 3 black characters on a movie, so we don't need a fourth.

Wait what? Seriously? That's your reasoning?

Let's reverse the idea. Avengers already has Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor, Avengers doesn't need anymore white males....

Well that surely didn't stop them from adding hawkeye, or bruce banner, etc etc.

In the end, it's clearly obvious that Joseph is not a huge fan of Miles Morales, and a part of that reasoning is because he's currently be written by a jewish male. I would love for a black writer to take a whack at Miles, but I don't want Miles removed from Bendis. Miles is Bendis baby. As a comic book writer myself, it would be appalling if someone says, I want an Japanese writer to write your story, because one of the characters in your book is Japanese. wtf?!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    I think you are confusing the general public and comics fans. Most comics fans know who Miles is, but that doesn't mean that most of the rest of the world (and probably 85% of the audience for a big tent-pole blockbuster movie) knows anything about Miles. I am a long time comics reader, and I don't recall seeing ANYTHING in mainstream media about him, and I watch for that kind of thing.
    Screw mainstream media.

I see Miles Morales action figures.

I see his trades with longer waiting lists than Peter Parker and a lot of other guys including Batman at the library.

I don't see Ms Marvel nor Harley with a ton of mainstream stuff but both seems to be doing well.

People might not know his name but they do see him and many are curious enough to ask about him. Because he dill in that MIA black (and Latino) male teen hero slot that DC is willingly giving it away since black male teen heroes seem to be an issue with them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post

So you ignored the fact I brought up that his debut in the current cartoon series was/is the second most watched episode of that series and one of the highest rated on a Disney network or just believe only comic fans are watching said cartoon? That's a pretty big stretch to believe the general populace is dumb and blind

BANNED

So you ignored the fact I brought up that his debut in the current cartoon series was/is the second most watched episode of that series and one of the highest rated on a Disney network or just believe only comic fans are watching said cartoon? That's a pretty big stretch to believe the general populace is dumb and blind
    No, I didn't ignore that... I consider that to be a part of the sub-culture outside mainstream media that knows about Miles. And even though skyvolt2000 says "screw mainstream media", if the movies didn't do well with mainstream audiences, they wouldn't continue being made. Like it or not, the legions of comics fans are not enough to support these movies to the extent that the studio would keep making them without the larger non-comics fanbase.

We shouldn't over-sell our importance to the studios. We are important, but general moviegoers are more important. Without them, there wouldn't be enough support for these films for them to continue.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    In the end, it's clearly obvious that Joseph is not a huge fan of Miles Morales, and a part of that reasoning is because he's currently be written by a jewish male. I would love for a black writer to take a whack at Miles, but I don't want Miles removed from Bendis. Miles is Bendis baby. As a comic book writer myself, it would be appalling if someone says, I want an Japanese writer to write your story, because one of the characters in your book is Japanese. wtf?!
    If that is the case-that is on HIM.

I guess he needs to be remind of what happen to Static the moment Dwayne McDuffie was no longer his editor.

Or Jaime Reyes once Griffin stopped writing him.

Or Jason Rusch outside of Stuart Moore.

Or Supergirl outside of Sterling Gates & Peter David

Or John Stewart outside of Gerald Jones & McDuffie.

Or Cassandra Cain outside of Chuck Dixon.

Or Black Panther outside of Priest & Hudlin.

Or Black Lighting outside of Isabella.

Or Wally West outside of Waid.

While it would be nice to see David Walker try Miles, I understand why Bendis is protective. Because not everybody is happy with seeing Miles around and getting attention they feel another should have.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I see Miles Morales action figures.
    He's got a mask too, I've seen them at Target and this blog saw them at Walmart

While it might just be the Spidey line's way of offering a variant I notice Batman doesn't bother with variants in their chepie line and I don't think the Cap mask line did either. It seems like they made a choice to offer both Spider-Mans.

i would prefer seeing Miguel O'Hara Spider-Man 2099 before Miles.

BANNED

Correction as he's A Spider-Man everyone knows, last I checked earlier this year there are two record setting episodes for the current Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. First one is the series premier and the second is Miles' debut episode, that's not including the merch push he's gotten which includes a quick sell out of a popular Disney plushie line.

Last I checked no one watches Ultimate Spider-Man, (because DX isn't a think people watch) so to call any episode of it record setting seems somewhat amusing. Although it seemed to do will when crossing over with something called Jessie...and there was a Blade one that aired first on Disney Channel, so people actually watched it.