Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Mission: Why I Don't Need Miles Morales in "Captain America: Civil War"

With anticipation building for Marvel's "Civil War," Joseph Illidge examines fan response to the trailer featuring Black Panther and Spider-Man.

Full article here.

I'd be cool either way honestly. I didn't even think this movie needed Spider-Man for the number of other awesome heroes in the film. Not to mention the way the MCU is established without Spidey, and he's going to come in as the new kid on the block.

Not that I'm complaining he's in the film. I just hope he doesn't reveal his secret Identity to everyone in the first film or depend on Stark for his web shooters.
    The J-man

I want Miles Morales to be written and drawn by several black and latino artists/writers in the (near) future. Why settle for just one?

And while I knew that Peter was going to be the Spider-Man for this film, and at least several more to come, I also feel that there's no excuse at all to not eventually use the Miles character as Spider-Man in a future project.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 03-14-2016 at 04:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I want Miles Morales to be written and drawn by several black and latino artists/writers in the (near) future. Why settle for just one?

And while I knew that Peter was going to be the Spider-Man for this film, and at least several more to come, I also feel that there's no excuse at all to not eventually use the Miles character as Spider-Man in a future project.

There is an excuse. Peter Parker is the one everyone knows. May as well say there's no excuse for Captain America not eventually moving on from Steve Rogers. Sure they could do it, but does anyone think they will?

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    There is an excuse. Peter Parker is the one everyone knows. May as well say there's no excuse for Captain America not eventually moving on from Steve Rogers. Sure they could do it, but does anyone think they will?
    A lot of people here think they will move on from Steve Rogers. I am not one of them.

Amazing Member

May as well say there's no excuse for Captain America not eventually moving on from Steve Rogers. Sure they could do it, but does anyone think they will?
    I absolutely think they will. Ant-Man has already established the idea of legacy heroes, and I don't think it's a coincidence that both Captain America and Iron Man have people with similar power sets who can replace them. We're still in the early goings relatively speaking, but we've already seen with the Iron Man trilogy that Marvel is willing to end sub-series. It's not too much of a stretch to say they'll eventually retire characters as well.

Ultimate Member

You can do it if you film plan it out for say 2-3 films. I think budget would be an issue.

Unless you decide to tell other stories of guys in that suit like Isiah Bradley that are in their own universe.

Just because everybody knows who Peter is does not mean you can't do it. Since Miles comes form another universe you can do a film with him and make it 100% clear this is ONE take on Spider-Man that DID happen. Put in huge writing for the uneducated that will scream and complain-based on this version of the comic.

ANd whose to say he has to be named Spider-Man? With do a have a toy with him under a different name.

I'm sure that Miles will become ~The~ Spiderman at some point... for like a year until they revive/get peter to return in some storyline. And Marvel will be all like, hey look we are diverse.

What's funny is when I was kid, the fact that Peter Parker was white, was never an issue or even something that I thought about. He was the #1 costume everyone would wear at halloween, I had about everything I could get of him, and quite simply I just never saw him as "white". Even now, even though I'm Latino, I don't think Miles HAS TO be the spiderman. I'm fine with peter parker and spiderman, I never really saw him as "American" (Superman/Cap) or White (Tony Stark/Batman) for example.

Fantastic Member

I really dislike the condescending tone that he writes his post with...or the assumptions he makes about writers (just as a poster in this thread did).

Either way, I think some of the other posters really explained about the Miles/Peter thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMatrix View Post
    I really dislike the condescending tone that he writes his post with...or the assumptions he makes about writers (just as a poster in this thread did).

Either way, I think some of the other posters really explained about the Miles/Peter thing.
    I'm missing something. What assumptions did he make about the writers?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You can do it if you film plan it out for say 2-3 films. I think budget would be an issue.

Unless you decide to tell other stories of guys in that suit like Isiah Bradley that are in their own universe.

Just because everybody knows who Peter is does not mean you can't do it. Since Miles comes form another universe you can do a film with him and make it 100% clear this is ONE take on Spider-Man that DID happen. Put in huge writing for the uneducated that will scream and complain-based on this version of the comic.

ANd whose to say he has to be named Spider-Man? With do a have a toy with him under a different name.
    If you're going to use Miles then why change his name? The point is that he IS Spider-Man, not Spider-Hero or whatever.

I would love to see Miles on the big screen someday (after three live action attempts with Peter eventually they should mix it up) but the reason I don't want it to be in this film is because it wouldn't make sense yet for Miles to be involved. Peter should debut first, and he should be at the heart of any story named "Civil War" like the book it's based on. I do not like this "there's already three black guys so I'm good" argument cause it distills representation down to some quota while ignoring what actually works for the film being made. Plus it makes it seem like they're all interchangeable when we'd get a different experience from Miles with his mixed race background, just how we get a different experience from Panther being African and a king and Sam being an army vet.

Blink7

"Why I Don't Need Miles Morales in Captain America: Civil War... Because There are Already 3 Black Characters in the Movie Already."

Look I didn't want Miles in this movie either as it made no sense. You genuinely need Peter to get to Miles and moreover it would be nice to see Peter finally handled by Marvel. For those reasons I wanted to see a new set of films starring Parker. However, arguing that Miles should never be THE Spider-Man by pointing out all of the other minority characters in the movie is stupid and comes off as condescending at best. The entire article can basically be broken down to: "There are THREE other minority characters in this movie already! I mean four would be ridiculous when we're already packed with diversity. And come on we can't take away from the 9 plus Caucasian characters."

There's no reason Miles couldn't be THE Spider-Man on film. We've had 5 Peter movies over the last several years. We've seen Uncle Ben get shot twice, we've seen 2 Gwens, 2 Harrys, 2 Normans, 3 Goblins, etc. Do you think general audience are clamoring for more of that? Miles would be a fresh take on a character that we've seen many many times and the audience will have to get to know Miles him the same way comic fans got to know him. I'm willing to bet a large portion of GotG's audience had no idea who Rocket or Star-Lord were but they do now. Point being that the audience is smart enough to figure it out. Also let's be honest, most people are going to see Spidey and not Parker. Kids play with Spider-Man toys and I doubt many of them care who is under the mask.
    Last edited by Blink7; 03-15-2016 at 06:47 AM.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    A lot of people here think they will move on from Steve Rogers. I am not one of them.
    If you are talking about the movies,wouldn't they just recast Steve Rogers with another actor instead of getting rid of Rogers altogether? It's been done numerous times with Superman, Batman and Spider-Man.

Spectacular Member

He never really gave a reason for not needing Miles besides "we have 3 black people in the movie already." I think if you want to do Miles you need to really give him his own origin and if you're going to follow the comics it'd probably be best to have him connected to Peter in some way. However, I tried making this argument on reddit to varying degrees of success: there's nothing fundamental to the character of Peter Parker that requires him to be white.

BANNED

Correction as he's A Spider-Man everyone knows, last I checked earlier this year there are two record setting episodes for the current Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. First one is the series premier and the second is Miles' debut episode, that's not including the merch push he's gotten which includes a quick sell out of a popular Disney plushie line.

That whole "people don't know who Miles is" is nothing more then a myth