Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's all the same guy. There is no "real" and no "less real". Identity is fluid.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    Only speaking for myself, I don't necessarily describe one or the other being his disguise. There's a certain number of traits in both Clark and Superman that come through in many of his adventures and morality to who he is. When it comes down to it though, I naturally associate Superman with his natural ability to care for humanity with the understanding what it's not only like to be human, but hold this unmistakable backbone for the common man and the voice's that were taught upon him. It was the Kents, let alone his deep love for Lois Lane in his gut, where he finds most of his strength regardless of his powerful biology. Both "disguises" are an extension of who he is at his foundation. I always boil it down to Clark being who he truly is at heart and Superman what he choose's to be, if that makes sense. Both identities need one another in a very complex way in how he functions as a character.
    Well said. I agree and this is how I see it as well.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

So many great answers that say a lot of what I think. No duality so much as unity. That's how it always was.

Grant Morrison, for example, is a big believer in that and always tries to end the emphasized duality of Bruce and Batman and show them as one.

All I know is that I absolutely reject Bryne's Marvelesque view (Clark is the person and Superman is the disguise).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    So many great answers that say a lot of what I think. No duality so much as unity. That's how it always was.

Grant Morrison, for example, is a big believer in that and always tries to end the emphasized duality of Bruce and Batman and show them as one.

All I know is that I absolutely reject Bryne's Marvelesque view (Clark is the person and Superman is the disguise).
    Yes. It has to be unity. Superman shows an essential part of his character...he's modest, brave, and fearless, determined to help others. That's not a pretence! Not if he's written as he should be, anyhow.

But equally he doesn't need Clark as a disguise. If he wanted to, he could arrange to be Superman 99% of the time, just going home from time to time, and making sure no villains track him to the Kents. In many ways life would be easier for him if he took that approach.

And certainly no need to spend a lot of time on journalistic pursuits unless it's deeply important to him. Indeed for me, this is maybe the most attractive aspect of his whole character...the deep belief that establishing the truth and sharing it with others is as least as important as "super heroics".

Always baffled when I see a fair number of people arguing that Clark is just a "fig leaf"....ultimately he embodies the best values of liberal America...not Krypton!
    Last edited by JackDaw; 03-17-2016 at 10:12 AM.