Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Why The Next Hulk Film Should Be "Indestructible"

CBR breaks down the reasons Mark Waid's recent run with the jade giant provides the perfect set-up for a Mark Ruffalo-starring "Hulk" sequel.

Full article here.

BANNED

Interesting idea as it would make use of Waid's recent Hulk run in a proper and well explained way.

The Hulk is a monster, plain and simple. Writers can dress it up however they like but Hulk is supporting character. There's really nothing else to say, because he's never going be cured of his Jekyll and Hyde persona. This is more glaring as a movie character, which explains why it hasn't done as well as studios hoped. It's a cliche that moviegoers aren't all thrilled to sit through.

For Hulk to be successful in film, he needs to be a plot device in Avengers films. Have some villain control the monster. Have flashback scenes with Banner as Shield Scientist associating with other Avenger teammates. Basically entire Avengers film all about Hulk's troublesome dual persona.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I've just started reading Indestructible Hulk and I have to admit enjoying it thus far, and certainly SHIELD or something like it could provide the support to make a movie about Hulk gel better.

Or maybe we could just forget Waid's run existed?

I'd like to see them do the Nexus of All Realities storyline. It's often forgotten, but I love it and it features Dr. Strange. Better still he fights all the New York heroes before being exiled. Could cameo DD, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and the Netflix characters.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Ground Zero. It is a great story. Plus then they could give the Hulk more of a personality by doing that story. The Leader already exist in the Marvel cinamatic universe anyway.

I'd use Peter David's work for a few movies first. Though I do really like Jason Aaron's run, but you'd need a few movies before having Banner as a villain.

I whole heartedly disagree with this article. Much of Waid's run excluded major components of Hulk's history, and his friends and foes alike. I think the best inspiration for the Hulk film is from either Mantlo, David or Pak.

Honestly, I always thought Jeph Loeb's Red Hulk story would make a good hulk movie. Think about it, it has a murder mystery with the Hulk involved where the man who hates him the most ends up turning himself into a version of the hulk. I think it would be excellent if tweaked correctly to fit the movie universe.

Another thing that would be cool is if we introduced the smarter version of the Hulk, where he could talk and think more then usual. It'd definitely be a change from the last few things the Hulk has appeared in.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    I whole heartedly disagree with this article. Much of Waid's run excluded major components of Hulk's history, and his friends and foes alike. I think the best inspiration for the Hulk film is from either Mantlo, David or Pak.
    I think the Nexus of All Realities story I suggested is a Mantlo story if I remember correctly.

I can agree with this article. Waid's Indestructible Hulk run is one of my favourite Marvel runs and I enjoyed it, especially Issue 1 which was Banner trolling Maria. The best thing in the run is that it's very Banner oriente and obviously the MCU want the films to be Banner focused due to Ruffalo's great performance. This would put it more likely than stuff like planet Hulk which was entirely Hulk based. Though with Shield's destruction, I'm not sure how this would work; they would have to be changes. Though seeing Banner be more positive was good character growth rather than having him be sad all the time (which went nowhere really) and would work with a movie Banner who also looks to start being happier.

Though my main wishes for a Hulk film would be a She-Hulk origin because we need some movie Jen awesomeness
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

I agree with this article in the sense that it would easily fit within the cinematic universe that's already been established. I can picture the first arc of Indestructible on the big screen.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by ScottSummers View Post
    I think the Nexus of All Realities story I suggested is a Mantlo story if I remember correctly.
    You mean the "Crossroads" story. The Nexus of All Realities is a portal in Florida guarded by the Man-Thing. The Crossroads is a dimension full of portals to other dimensions where Dr. Strange briefly banished the Hulk. I really don't think it would work, as it was a series of individual stories about the Hulk on other worlds (all of them ended sadly).

Now, Planet Hulk would work as a movie. They already made an animated version of it which, although pared down, basically captured the comic. As it is, we had Korg from Planet Hulk show up in Thor: The Dark World, and there may be another PH connection in an upcoming Marvel film which I'd mention if I knew how to do spoiler tags.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    Damn right.

The last thing any of us want is to see Waid's mediocre Hulk run adapted to a live-action film series. No, if you're going to do some solo Hulk films take inspiration from stories by Peter David, Greg Pak, Bill Mantlo, Roger Stern, and Len Wein.

Add in some classic foes like The Leader, Bi-Beast, Abomination (updated/further mutated to look like the Avengers Initiative IPhone game), The U-Foes, or hordes of gamma monsters & gigantic skyscraper-sized robots (which would serve as creations of the Leader).

Throw in a love interest like SHIELD Agent Kate Waynesboro and we're all set. All it would need is a solid script, which is why I believe only someone like Greg Pak or Peter David should handle in order to get the film just right.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Waid's run bored me to tears. His Hulk had no personality at all and was just a plot point. His Banner was not bad though.