Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Umbral, #7

MATURE READERS ONLY

"KILLING THE SUNRISE" BOOK TWO STARTS HERE! Rascal has escaped the Umbral in the city (uh, spoilers?) and now she heads for the mountainous Sunrise homestead. But even here not everyone is who they seem, and before the dawn a blade will flash in the dark...

Full article here.

All-round British person antony's Avatar

Hey, everyone. Antony Johnston, UMBRAL writer, here.

Just wanted to say, this is a *very* early preview of issue #7 -- it's not actually on sale till July 16 -- but we're putting it out there so far in advance because the FOC is 6/23, i.e. THIS MONDAY.

(FOC = Final Order Cut-off, the last day retailers can place pre-orders)

If you're planning to get a copy of issue #7, especially if you read the first TPB and now want to jump onto the issues, please let your retailer know asap so they can place a pre-order for you.

There's a press release about the new story arc on Image's website.

If you're a retailer reading this and you *haven't* yet heard from me, drop me an email and I'll hook you up with a PDF of the full issue.

(And if you're completely new to the series, why not read issue #1 for free to give it a try? )

Cheers
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com

I will be doing a re-read of the first arc shortly, to refresh my memory and build anticipation for the second arc. I really enjoyed each issue as they came out, but I had some trouble remembering plot specifics and differentiating characters at times.

I would definitely recommend this series, it is well-written and the designs for the Umbral and the settings are incredible. You and Chris have really good chemistry.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I bought the trade collection recently. It's good, but feels a bit hard get into at points since I often don't know what they are talking about for issues until they actually explain what something is.

Hopeful to finish the trade before the next issue comes out so I can jump aboard.

Looking forward to the second arc, I really enjoy the fantasy world building of this series.

All-New Member

Great first arc, loved it. Even though and don't read much of epic fantasy(i'm more of a sci-fi fan) i have to say iit's great comic. But the map is overdetailed, when will you visit all the places there? We need atleast 100+ issues.
    Also, Mitten is drawing a little bit better than first Wasteland arcs, and the colorists are great.

All-round British person antony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ness1602 View Post
    the map is overdetailed
    That is officially the weirdest criticism we've yet had. Surely "a fantasy map with too much detail" is by definition impossible?
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com