Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Scott Snyder's Idea For Wonder Woman Involves Cheetah

From www.newsarama.com's DC Villains C2E2 coverage:

15:22
    "Ares is definitely fun star in the constellation of Wonder Woman."

15:21
    Snyder adds that "Ares pulls on WW's darker impulses."

15:21
    "I want to do Wonder Woman. I have a whole story in my head where Cheetah. I feel like if WW is the one who stands between gods and men, Cheetah is cursed by gods and men."

15:20
    Snyder mentions that he has a whole idea for Wonder Woman in her head.

Now this has me very interested. I hope Snyder gets to write this story very soon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I haven't liked much of anything he's done with the Bat-rogues, but the WW rogues are a different story. They're mostly a blank slate anyway, and I'd be on board for Snyder to go for broke on them.

It's cool to see a big name creator express an interest in Cheetah as well.

Mighty Member

Not interested sounds like the same old boring stuff we already had before that doesn't work. Plus that Ares/Diana thing sounds like he's been watching Xena and she already came off like a Xena rip off when n52 came about
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 03-18-2016 at 06:35 PM.

BANNED

Like I've said before, when we had a poll about this, I'd prefer Snyder writing Wonder Woman than just about any other creator right now. But that said, he isn't really saying much about what his idea is.

Sounds like Xena.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Sounds like Xena.
    You all DO realize Xena was more or less based on the Amazons right? The show was pretty much Amazons in Old Greek times instead of modern day like Linda carter? Jesus some people just can't stop comparing xena to wonder woman to make it seem like a damn put down of a concept. Its the reason why alot of creators hate the Wonder Woman fanbase, they are allergic to new things.

Wonder Woman was interacting with Ares loooooooong before Xena was even created. Like what's next, people accusing Circe if being a ripoff of Alti?

Quote Originally Posted by Desean101101 View Post
    You all DO realize Xena was more or less based on the Amazons right? The show was pretty much Amazons in Old Greek times instead of modern day like Linda carter? Jesus some people just can't stop comparing xena to wonder woman to make it seem like a damn put down of a concept. Its the reason why alot of creators hate the Wonder Woman fanbase, they are allergic to new things.
    The manner in which Snyder describes how he'd write Ares is similar to how Ares was written in Xena. That is what hellacre was referring to.

And hellacre never actually said this was a bad thing. He/she simply pointed out the similarities. Calm down.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm not allergic to new things. I like Diana's first New 52 costume, Steve Trevor's new role in the DCU as head of A.R.G.U.S., Diana's new supporting character Hessia, and I love the new take on Diana's origin currently in The Legend of Wonder Woman. There are new things I don't like currently but those dislikes are about those specific kind of new things, not new things in general.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member

Little more info from the CBR article:
    Snyder was asked if he had to pitch on a “Wonder Woman Vs. Ares” story, what would he do. “I have a whole mythology for Wonder Woman in my head. If Bruce takes the earthly threats, and Clark takes the cosmic threats, then Wonder Woman takes everything that comes from the mythological,” Snyder said, adding that he really wants to write a Wonder Woman book and explore characters like Cheetah who were cursed by the gods. “Wonder Woman is someone who walks the line between god and man…she makes us feel worthy of the gods’ love, but Ares is the one who says ‘No’ and that mankind is built for war.”

Mighty Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Wonder Woman was interacting with Ares loooooooong before Xena was even created. Like what's next, people accusing Circe if being a ripoff of Alti?
    I meant that specific relationship he described and Diana might have existed prior to Xena but the characterization wasn't Xena like until after Xena finished airing. This troubled warrior princess situated in a much more violent world and was taught by Ares is literally Xena and not to say this is a major shift since its basically been where she's been headed for decades now its still antithetical to the characters entire existence and pretty boring
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 03-19-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Mighty Member

Nah people don't like the fan base because its hellhole which is due to the fact that the character has no consistency which is the fault of the editors not us. And there isn't anything new about what he was saying its all the old stuff we've seen that gave us nothing but uninspired stories

Eh, I liked the kinda flirty way he had with Diana in Rucka's run. That said, I don't think she'd ever be enticed by Ares (which to be fair, post-warlord Xena wasn't either).

I like Snyder's thoughts on Cheetah. Her being cursed by the gods is a great opposite reflection of Diana being blessed by them. I hope he gets a chance to write that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Eh, I liked the kinda flirty way he had with Diana in Rucka's run. That said, I don't think she'd ever be enticed by Ares (which to be fair, post-warlord Xena wasn't either).

I like Snyder's thoughts on Cheetah. Her being cursed by the gods is a great opposite reflection of Diana being blessed by them. I hope he gets a chance to write that story.
    They did have Xena act more flirty with Ares in the last two seasons, to a degree. Thankfully she still ended up with Gabrielle (...kind of, what with being dead and all). If they want to have a flirty foe yay dynamic between Diana and Ares, they're gonna have to go with Drew Johnson's design though. No way does Diana want any of that AzzAres action.

Cheetah being cursed is a good way to contrast her with Diana, but it begs the question which gods Snyder wants her to be cursed by. Her own deity, or the Greek pantheon? If it's the latter, Dionysus would have to be involved as I believe he's the only Greek deity with any connection to cheetahs and other jungle cats. It would certainly make matters between Diana and Barbara more personal if her relatives are the ones who inflicted her arch nemesis on her for whatever reason.

Far too vague for me to get excited or worried about the potential project at this point. But hey he didn't utter the name "Batman" so that's at least a potential plus.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El