Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adaptation Question: What Are Wonder Woman's Essentials For You?

Mileage definitely varies when it comes to how much change one is willing to accept for an adaptation. This will probably apply to Wonder Woman more than any other comic book character.
    The fact of the matter is no one is going to get their "perfect" Wonder Woman movie.

Her costume, her powers, her love interest(s), her age, secret identity or no secret identity, hell, even her motivation in simply being a superhero...let's face it, Wonder Woman has, unfortunately, been notoriously inconsistent throughout the years—to the point where even her longtime fans can debate what aspects of her character must be present and represented.
    Even under the best of circumstances, it's going to be give & take for everyone.

So with her first major big screen debut on the way, I was wondering what are people's "essentials" for Diana? What, for you, must be there in order for her to be Wonder Woman and, based on what's been shown thus far, are you happy, disappointed, or somewhere in between?

For me, I prefer the clay origin and her first adventure to be set in the present (as opposed to the World Wars). I'd rather she be capable of flying and have strength on par with Superman. I also don't like when she uses a sword & shield more than her Lasso or bracelets.
    In terms of character, I think the two most critical attributes Diana must have are compassion and idealism. She is who she is because she sees the best in people—women AND men—and strives to make the world a better place because of it. I also believe Diana should be someone who always seeks the peaceful resolution and only fights as a last resort.

Now based on what's been seen and stated...well, obviously, I'm not going to get some of those things. So, naturally, I'm left with the question of how much am I willing to accept. The producers have certainly SAID encouraging things, but if there's one thing I've learned from my years as a fan, it's one thing to SAY the right things about Wonder Woman. Actually executing them is something else entirely.

Personally, Wonder Woman's presence is the only thing about Batman v. Superman I have any interest in. And in that regard...well, I'm taking it with the proverbial grain of salt.
    Elaborated thoughts are written out here, for those interested.

So how abut you guys? Satisfied? Betrayed? Grain of salt?

Mighty Member

For me she needs to be
    *an amazon- race of powerful women I'd prefer if they were all made from clay and all as powerful as Diana or in that area
    *made of clay
    *lasso
    *bracelets
    *funny,adventurous,extroverted,charming,compassion ate,strong willed,cocky,witty,determined,intelligent(in all areas , capable of inventing and creating things, sciences,medicine,mathematics,etc. but esp socially intelligent so she needs to know languages and history and politics more than anything),empathetic
    *believes everyone is capable of good
    *main goal is to teach people to submit to a loving authority
    *emphasizes non violence and restorative justice above all
    *emphasizes work ethic(skill) over talent
    *much more of an athlete than a warrior(seldom use of offensive weapons even if she is extremely skilled at it)
    *also a healer
    *happy/non traumatic upbringing
    *immense love and respect for women and womanhood
    *feminist
    *power set: one of the most powerful beings on earth,one of the fastest,amazing reflexes, telepathic resistance, high invulnerable,etc.(doesn't need flight but I like her to have it)

I'd rather her have a secret identity. Her mythos should be a nice mix of SciFi and magic. I'd prefer she didn't have one main love interest but multiple, a consistent supporting cast(hippolyta,Etta,Steve at the very least)
    Ares needs to be a villain and Aphrodite should be a very important, positive influence to her imo.

I'm keeping an open mind with bvs. I've liked or been indifferent to most news and the only thing I can say I'm not a fan of is her use of sword and shield but that's something she's been using for a while now in the comics so I expected it to some extent. I just hope they do a decent job with it which they seem to have at least done that and I've only heard great reviews
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 03-14-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I just want an adaptation that's true to the comics (preferably Perez' version), and doesn't take its inspiration from the 70's TV show.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I am willing to enjoy anything the movie has to offer.
    I'm convinced that most people, who hate on a comic, never read said comic.

Clay origin, utopian Themyscira, bracers as main defensive tool, lasso as main weapon, great compassion, intelligence and wisdom (brain and heart both in the driving seat).
    One of the most powerful beings on the planet, with incredible speed and reflexes, some degree of invulnerability, telepathic resistance and flight. Powers somewhat granted by the gods.
    A costume that makes sense for the character. I like the greek warrior costume, if it's not "too Xena".
    I prefer the modern setting over the world war setting. I don't have much love for the secret identity.
    An actress who can convincingly conjure the character (personality, beauty, athleticism). Focus on all the sides of WW, not only "the warrior".

I would be mostly fine with a lot of things, as long as the adaptions stays as far as possible from the new 52...

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My wish list:

1.) Made from clay and given life by the gods with abilities equal to the other Amazons.

2.) Wins the contest to be the Amazons' Ambassador of Peace to Man's world after Steve Trevor crashes on Themyscria in World War II. Upon winning the contest, the Olympians grant Diana her Superman-like powers to help in her mission.

3.) Uses her bracelets, lasso, Mental Radio/tiara, and Invisible Jet as primary accessories.

4.) Joins the Justice Society(as a full member, not secretary) and the All-Star Squadron.

5.) Has a variety of Axis villains such as Baroness Paula Von Gunther, Baron Blitzkrieg, Armegeddon, Gudra, Red Panzer, Kung, Dr. Poison, & Sumo the Samurai. Other WWII foes include Cheetah(Priscillla Rich), The Mask, Duke of Deception, Queen Clea, etc.

6.) After WWII, Diana and Steve retire to Paradise Island and get married. They stay on the island for several decades which keeps them both young.

7.) In the modern age, Ares attempts to instigate WWIII which brings Diana and Steve back to Man's World to stop him.

8.) Diana helps found the Justice League.

9.) Donna Troy is Wonder Girl.

10.) Diana's major modern foes are Cheetah(Barbara Minerva), Giganta, Circe, Ares, Dr. Poison II, Dr. Psycho, Angle Man, Grail, Queen Clea, and Osira.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Amazon from a Utopian society, daughter of Hippolyta (natural or clay doesn't matter to me), Bracelets and Lasso as her primary equipment. Love and compassion as core to the character. Intelligence and knowledge (i.e. she knows sciencey stuff too). At least some degree of her powers should be from Amazon training and include mental abilities.

Hmmm...there's a difference for me between 'essentials' and 'wish list.'

Essentials?

1. Diplomacy before combat, non-lethal before lethal force is used. Summed up by Diana's own words, "Don't kill if you can wound, don't wound if you can subdue, don't subdue if you can pacify and don't raise your hand at all until you've first extended it.' This more than anything sums up the character for me.

2. Compassionate. This sort of goes hand-in-hand with #1, but should apply across the board. I remember this great scene from the Sacrifice storyline where she was tending to an injured teammate in the JLA and Flash was narrating about how everyone loves her. She genuinely cares and takes time out for people.

3. Alpha power level - stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Superman in this regard. Flight, super strength, super speed, etc.

4. Lasso, bracelets and tiara as her weapons of choice. Armor and melee weapons for special occasions. I guess this is more a 'wish' than a 'necessity.'

5. Prominence in the DCU. No more replacing her in history with Black Canary. She was the first with her own book, on the JSA and the JLA and should be treated as the Grand Dame of heroes, not just as an example for the female heroes but for *all* heroes. She's a leader and a stateswoman and should be held up as such. I want the same concept applied to the movies.

6. Peaceful Amazons. Not an oxymoron, either. Warriors for peace has been a concept for ages, from sects of monks to the Jedi (ambassadors, diplomats, butt-kickers ). Ready to go to war if needed, prepared to defend and to do their duty in guarding the Gates of Tartarus, but preferring a life of peace, seeking advancement through art and knowledge.

7. Make her smart again. In her initial incarnation she was a scientist and an inventor who created the Purple Healing Ray. She's a warrior and tactician, but also a highly intelligent woman. I want to see that come back.

BANNED

Overall I'm quite happy (though I don't seem it) there are tons of little things here and there I don't like but all things considered I have reasonably good feeling about WW, as well as some concerns. What I like is Gal Gadot, she's a bit thinner than I would've liked but she's very congenial, she's very pretty, I like her smile and I like her voice, I think she might knock it out of the park. I like the outfit but some of the props, namely the headpiece, is a little bit ugly imo and the colors are too dark and muddy. I don't like the sword, I understand why they've given her one but I think it dumbs Wonder Woman down. I also quite like that she's very old and well-seasoned, I'm not a big fan of the naive, bland Wonder Woman so that's great. Obviously I wish she could fly but if she's otherwise very powerful I'll let it slide. What I don't like is the dumb bond girl schtick, I think it cheapens her, and that she's world-weary, she should never be that imo. Other than that, everything they said about Wonder Woman sounded good on paper, I hope she has an invisible plane, that she invents the purple healing ray and that Themyscira is not some bronze-age backwater

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    For me, I prefer the clay origin and her first adventure to be set in the present (as opposed to the World Wars). I'd rather she be capable of flying and have strength on par with Superman. I also don't like when she uses a sword & shield more than her Lasso or bracelets.
    In terms of character, I think the two most critical attributes Diana must have are compassion and idealism. She is who she is because she sees the best in people—women AND men—and strives to make the world a better place because of it. I also believe Diana should be someone who always seeks the peaceful resolution and only fights as a last resort.
    That's a good start. The specific clay origin doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

But to be Wonder Woman, Diana has to be an ambassador or at least a representative of an enlightened, utopian civilization, a paradise that she chooses to leave for love or duty. This is key to what makes her interesting as a character. Her idealism and compassion flow from the values she learned in that utopian civilization.

Because of this utopian background, Wonder Woman stories need to have an essential optimism and sunlight that's too infrequent in comics today. Wonder Woman is like Star Trek in this regard; without utopianism and a positive message, she doesn't work.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Confident
    She needs to be shown to be 1000% confident in any and everything she does in the movie.
    Even if she may question the success chances of something she may be doing, she must
    still be totally confident that she will get the win and job down in the end and not
    crawl up in the corner waiting for Batman to come up with a game saving plan Superman
    can implement.

All-New Member

Definitely made of clay.

We don't know at which point between WW1 and the present day she'll decide to retire, but I'd like to see a time montage of what happens in between, with just a hint at the 40s and at the 70s. We know her costume stays pretty much the same in WW1 and BvS, otherwise I would have liked to see something like this...

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Hmmm...there's a difference for me between 'essentials' and 'wish list.'

Essentials?

1. Diplomacy before combat, non-lethal before lethal force is used. Summed up by Diana's own words, "Don't kill if you can wound, don't wound if you can subdue, don't subdue if you can pacify and don't raise your hand at all until you've first extended it.' This more than anything sums up the character for me.

2. Compassionate. This sort of goes hand-in-hand with #1, but should apply across the board. I remember this great scene from the Sacrifice storyline where she was tending to an injured teammate in the JLA and Flash was narrating about how everyone loves her. She genuinely cares and takes time out for people.

3. Alpha power level - stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Superman in this regard. Flight, super strength, super speed, etc.

4. Lasso, bracelets and tiara as her weapons of choice. Armor and melee weapons for special occasions. I guess this is more a 'wish' than a 'necessity.'

5. Prominence in the DCU. No more replacing her in history with Black Canary. She was the first with her own book, on the JSA and the JLA and should be treated as the Grand Dame of heroes, not just as an example for the female heroes but for *all* heroes. She's a leader and a stateswoman and should be held up as such. I want the same concept applied to the movies.

6. Peaceful Amazons. Not an oxymoron, either. Warriors for peace has been a concept for ages, from sects of monks to the Jedi (ambassadors, diplomats, butt-kickers ). Ready to go to war if needed, prepared to defend and to do their duty in guarding the Gates of Tartarus, but preferring a life of peace, seeking advancement through art and knowledge.

7. Make her smart again. In her initial incarnation she was a scientist and an inventor who created the Purple Healing Ray. She's a warrior and tactician, but also a highly intelligent woman. I want to see that come back.

I'll co-sign all of this as well.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Fantastic Member

Personally, I'm very upset that the movie version of WW will not be able to fly. That has been one of her signature powers for the past 30 years and I can see no reason why the character should be reduced in power in her first big screen outing. I also have not heard any good explanation for why this was done. The one thing that seems to keep coming up is the idea that, in the movie DCU, the producers somehow want to leave Superman as the only flying character. But that seems preposterous (will Cyborg not fly either? Or Green Lantern?) and is a weak excuse at best. Again, I'm very angry that they have decided to depower the most prominent and powerful female character in DC, apparently to not "detract" from their male hero.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    Personally, I'm very upset that the movie version of WW will not be able to fly. That has been one of her signature powers for the past 30 years and I can see no reason why the character should be reduced in power in her first big screen outing. I also have not heard any good explanation for why this was done. The one thing that seems to keep coming up is the idea that, in the movie DCU, the producers somehow want to leave Superman as the only flying character. But that seems preposterous (will Cyborg not fly either? Or Green Lantern?) and is a weak excuse at best. Again, I'm very angry that they have decided to depower the most prominent and powerful female character in DC, apparently to not "detract" from their male hero.
    We don't know the extent of her powers yet and given that we have multiple films to explore them I'm guessing neither does most of anyone involved outside of maybe behind the scene people
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 03-19-2016 at 01:37 PM.