Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Part of the reason I'd think twice about reading GL even if a favourite writer took them on is the ill conceived nature of the power set.

Basically the ring can do anything. And there's no readily exploitable weakness. Yes a writer can always claim "lack of will power meant so and so couldn't be done". But a comic later something much harder can be done by just wishing it.

I just don't find that kind of set-up appealing.
    The weakness of the power ring is that it has a finite charge.

I don't read Green Lantern anymore because the stories are either boring, or they don't make sense, or both, plus the editors and writers have a habit of burying my favorite character while focusing on characters I either don't like or don't care about. The franchise is currently cluttered with characters it can't properly facilitate. At least not all at once. Also, I'm tired of the events and lack of character development and proper, substantial relationship building. Plus, I dislike the whole emotional spectrum. I think it's an extremely hokey idea, and the stories tend to revolve around it a lot.

As for the constructs, they're okay, especially if used in moderation. I do think regular beams and bubbles do have their place, too.
    Last edited by Desh; 03-15-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I don't think a lot of people [who don't read] Batman and Superman regard [them]as silly.
    Really, then why don't they read them? Maybe cause it looks silly.

And as I said in the fist post .... I want to hear from people who have a problem with them. That's the audience I'm interested in.
    What do you think their problem with Batman and Superman is?

It can all look pretty silly to an outsider.

Make it like s star-ship. That's plenty powerful.
    Yes lets make the idea of GL Corps as generic as possible.

And star-ship? I thought you wanted to make them race car drivers?
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-15-2016 at 05:12 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    I used to like Green Lantern but Hal punched Batman in Rebirth (it may be another Green Lantern comics, i'm not 100% sure) while Guy Gardner was watching and so happy about it... and that does it... that was the death santance of green lantern...i won't tuch a green lantern comics till Batman gets even with hal... i want Batman to kick hal in the balls or someting... only this would make me read Green Lantern again.
    Bats got even like, six or seven months later.*

(Personally, I hate the Jordan punching Batman thing, but not because Batman got punched - he had deserving a good punch in the face for a while - but because Jordan should never been able to connect that punch. But that's a tired discussion.)

About the thread topic: the constructs are the concept. If one is to transform the GLs into something like a starship, they might as well just scrape them from the DCU and replace them with the Darkstars. Also, Starship capabilities are mostly destructive; the ring is such a great tool because of their versatility.

IF they want to make them "less silly" (I don't think that the constructs are a problem, but I'll indulge), they should just go for cooler constructs: make lanterens make stuff that has an specific function to deal with a specific problem, etc, etc. Their limitation should be intellectual alone. Do away with the willpower (not completely, just stop with the whole "willpower dick measurement contest" stuff) and just do away with things like box-gloves.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    I used to like Green Lantern but Hal punched Batman in Rebirth (it may be another Green Lantern comics, i'm not 100% sure) while Guy Gardner was watching and so happy about it... and that does it... that was the death santance of green lantern...i won't tuch a green lantern comics till Batman gets even with hal... i want Batman to kick hal in the balls or someting... only this would make me read Green Lantern again.
    Why? Because Batman must be #1 at all times?

At that point, Batman had been written as quite the a$$hole for years, and really had it coming.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    If you don't read Green Lantern......

then you save $2.99 every month.
    Isn't his book currently still $3.99 a month?

I gave up on the Green Lantern franchise back after the lame "War of the Green Lanterns" arc just before Flashpoint and haven't bothered to try it out again ever since.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Why? Because Batman must be #1 at all times?

At that point, Batman had been written as quite the a$$hole for years, and really had it coming.
    He shouldn't be #1, but Hal Jordan's not even close to being #2. Especially when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. I'd probably rank him 3rd among the Earth Lanterns there (Guy first, Stewart 2nd). He'd be above Kyle, but Kyle's the artist type.

Read some of John's run from a friend and enjoyed it. Felt no need to seek out more.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    He shouldn't be #1, but Hal Jordan's not even close to being #2. Especially when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. I'd probably rank him 3rd among the Earth Lanterns there (Guy first, Stewart 2nd). He'd be above Kyle, but Kyle's the artist type.
    Green Lanterns can accomplish anything with their rings and enough willpower. Including punching Batman in the face.
    -Ethan Van Sciver

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Part of the reason I'd think twice about reading GL even if a favourite writer took them on is the ill conceived nature of the power set.

Basically the ring can do anything. And there's no readily exploitable weakness. Yes a writer can always claim "lack of will power meant so and so couldn't be done". But a comic later something much harder can be done by just wishing it.

I just don't find that kind of set-up appealing.
    I sort of agree. But at the same time that simple concept gives so many opportunities. There's a lot of potential with the concept of willpower that hasn't been explored IMO.

How might a human GL interact with an Alien that doesn't ever feel any fear as a matter of biology? Can they be an effective hero?
    What happens when a GL is exposed to scarecrow's fear toxin? Or placed in a doomed or terrifying scenario?
    What kind of meditation techniques and exercises might GL's use to master and experiment with their rings?
    Beyond recreating Coast City, what other uses of the ring are morally questionable? Can they give life to the dead/dying? Could a type of telepath use the ring to alter reality?
    Are there certain constructs or aspects of constructs that emotional or intellectual blockages prevent?
    How important is perception? Can an illusionist use the power of mere doubt to make constructs porous or weak?
    Can the ring enhance one's senses? Vision, brain power? Could that become addicting? How would addiction affect will?
    Could a GL order the ring to block out or erase or store certain memories? Could a ring carry someone's consciousness?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flabbergaster View Post
    Green Lanterns can accomplish anything with their rings and enough willpower. Including punching Batman in the face.
    -Ethan Van Sciver
    EVS, hi! I'm a huge fan of your art. Will you be sticking around?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flabbergaster View Post
    -Ethan Van Sciver
    If it's canon that was all ring, I'm cool with it.

BANNED

I am perfectly fine with Batman not having a superpower that protects him from being suckerpunched. He's not Cassandra Cain or anything.

I stopped reading because of the crappy stories and endless events.

BANNED

Nobody would miss the constructs, and if they disappeared, some people would no longer get chased away. That's reason enough right there to flush them. Doing so wouldn't make Green Lantern generic. People used to complain that all the GLs had the same powers, but as Steve Englehart said, "It ain't about the powers." I would add, "As long as the powers ain't too silly."

Invincible Member

I've read random issues of GL at various times. The constructs were never a problem for me. I haven't tried it since the nu52 just cuz while there seem to be some interesting ideas going on, the storylines don't seem to grab me