Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

yeah

I stand by the belief that the musical director for ams2 needs to be ridiculed whenever it comes up.

he absolutely ruined one of the strongest scenes in spiderman's history.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Love Field to death, but I never did buy her in the role of Aunt May. May is supposed to be a white haired timid and fragile old lady. While she is up there in age, Field is very sexy and youthful looking.

Hence why I'm a bit iffy on Tomei taking on the role. Though I kinda hope she's based off of Ultimate Aunt May, who is very active and sexy.
    The BEST thing Bendis did to Spider-Man lore was to change the frail, redundancy that was classic Aunt May. It was a tired and overused trope. Ultimate Aunt May was one of the better aspects to come out of Ultimate Spider-Man. I would rather have former hippie Aunt May who can handle nonsense and is strict but fair over the whole wheat cakes aunt may any day.

So, her acting is "ten pounds of shit" and the role is a 5 lb bag?
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Fantastic Member

I know that there are some supporters of the first Amazing Spider-Man movie and there are even some sick freaks who liked the second one, but I think that both movies will sink in level of support over the years. Neither were directed very well, Spider-Man came off as a jerk and sometimes even sadistic in his joking attempts, and Peter seemed barely sane. In fact, I would probably be legitimately worried/afraid if I shared a class with him because his isolated/loner routine was so over-the-top to the point where he was kind of scary at times. Both of the movies weren't very good and the second one was actually terrible. I hope the new MU Spider-Man rendition will be better.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

It sounds like Fields just isn't a fan of the superhero genre, or at least supporting roles in them, which is fine. I don't find anything offensive about what she said, and I tend to like it when actors, sports figures and other celebrities are honest about their work.

ASM wasted a lot of talent. I mean, younger Aunt May was a concept with a lot of promise, but they didn't do anything with that. The change was largely cosmetic. And if you're not going to make something of her being younger and more active, then you're better off with a charming old woman.

I thought Aunt May had more to add to the Raimi franchise, particularly the scene in SM2 where it's heavily implied she may know Peter's secret and gives him her indirect blessing.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I thought Aunt May had more to add to the Raimi franchise, particularly the scene in SM2 where it's heavily implied she may know Peter's secret and gives him her indirect blessing.
    Yeah there's stuff like that you can do with Aunt May. Sally Field was wasted in the role.

I think the ASM movies benefited from not being Spider-Man 3 but they never achieved a much as Spider-Man 2 did.
    Andrew Garfield is cute and all but he never sold me on nerdy any more than Chris Hemsworth in glasses is in NuGhostubsters

BANNED

I think people are over reacting to what Field says. It's not like she's going on an angry, cursing rant. She makes some perfectly valid points in a calm, straightforward fashion. Also, don't see why people are getting indignant over the notion that Field may have taken the ASM role for the money. I mean. it's called a job for a reason, right? Acting is a profession, actors get paid to show up on set. And, just like every other working stiff on the planet, they don't always have the luxury of being able tom pick and choose what jobs to take or turn down based solely on their own personal satisfaction index. Sometimes, like everybody else, they do what they have to do to pay the bills.

Such is life.

Ultimately this is her job, sometimes you like the work and sometimes you don't. It is what it is, not sure why this is such a big deal.

Not everyone has, or needs to have, the same relationship with the characters fans do.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

23 comments and not a single Smokey and the Bandit joke. FAIL!

I'm beginning to wonder if anybody who worked on these ASM films actually liked them

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebolt1967 View Post
    I know that there are some supporters of the first Amazing Spider-Man movie and there are even some sick freaks who liked the second one, but I think that both movies will sink in level of support over the years. Neither were directed very well, Spider-Man came off as a jerk and sometimes even sadistic in his joking attempts, and Peter seemed barely sane. In fact, I would probably be legitimately worried/afraid if I shared a class with him because his isolated/loner routine was so over-the-top to the point where he was kind of scary at times. Both of the movies weren't very good and the second one was actually terrible. I hope the new MU Spider-Man rendition will be better.
    Don't you think that's a somewhat extreme and uncalled for thing to say?... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey616 View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if anybody who worked on these ASM films actually liked them
    I'm sure there are, but since the masses disapprove of these movies so much apparently, it is easier to remain mute on any thing positive about the films...

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Field speaks bluntly about her role as Aunt May in the Spider-franchise, saying "you can't put ten pounds of s--t in a five pound bag."

Full article here.
    I desperately hope she felt the same way about the "Smokey and the Bandit" movies.

She is right that her role was just "Big name actress we can say is in the movie". She's just there to say reassuring words to Peter Parker. He's got all the substance. Now, if she means to imply that the two movies lacked substance, that is one accusation that absolutely boggles me just as I don't get at all why the second one flopped. I put it among the best ever done in the superhero genre. But maybe that's the problem. It spends too much time ala "Hulk" trying to be a good story with great characterization rather than simply a "superhero movie".
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I think people have been overly harsh with Asm 1+2. Tbh, I liked Andrew Garfield better as Peter by far than I did Toby...
    Andrew looked more like Peter and had a cooler edgier vibe about him --like what I get from Peter in the comics.. Also, the chemistry between
    Andrew and Emma Stone was fantastic and made it almost unbearable to watch Gwen Stacy die in Asm 2 (my heart strings would not have been pulled
    as much for Kisten Dunst's portrayl of May Jane).Heck, the suit in Asm 2 even LOOKED like the comic book version more than the Toby version (the new suit with Tom Holland may have this beat though since it looks so much like the Romita suit I first grew up with). I think it's unfair that Sally Field is dumping on these movies now more that's the cool thing to do apparently...
    I really liked the first two of the first series and liked both of these. I thought Part 2 of both series were among the best superhero stories ever done. This is, of course, entirely subjective, but I thought Toby McGuire looked much more the way I would envision Peter Parker. Maybe not in terms of sheer scrawniness but in most ways. And the Garfield protrayal, as written, just seemed like a character who was too aggressive and not as timid or shy. But it's perception. The edgier vibe, for me, made him seem less like Peter. Maybe later Peter but not in the early stuff.

I did love that the Garfield version kept the Gwen Stacy era. I assume that Mary Jane would have appeared in the 3rd one had they not yanked the rug out of this. It was shaping up as a very character driven and "realistic" take on Spider-Man and it still just stuns me that it flopped or at least maybe there was just more money to be had in restarting with Spider-Man in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by HARDAC View Post
    23 comments and not a single Smokey and the Bandit joke. FAIL!
    You ninja'd me but I wrote a "Smokey" comment before I saw this.