Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Should Peter be more upset over Otto hijacking his life?

One thing that really stood out while reading ASM V3 #1 is how Peter just kind of shrugs off what happened with Otto taking him over. I particularly cringed at the line about making Aunt May walk again, something along the lines of "I really owe him big for that".

Ugh! Really? This isn't Kraven burying him and taking over for two weeks, this isn't the Chameleon hijacking Peter Parker's life and causing mayhem. Peter really feels indebted to the guy who killed him, took his life, screwed up his relationships, menaced his loved ones and killed in his name?

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

yes he should,I know I wouldn't be too happy especially if I all of sudden have a girlfriend & a company I just found out that I own.

Personally, I would've been and I think Otto got off too easy anyway, as I'm certain he'll be back and free to roam, but I get why Peter has this, "Im just happy to be alive" mentality and isn't really ticked off. He's made it back from "death" and he doesn't want to waste it sulking.
    Last edited by Raphael Edwards; 05-01-2014 at 11:54 AM.

From the preview pages and what I've seen in reviews and stuff, Pete's reaction to what happened to him did seem very shallow. There's a kind of 60's "Oh well, it's all just wacky hijinks" feel to it. But I guess with the book relaunching on the back of ASM2's release, and with the whole "Peter Parker is Back" vibe going around, you can understand why Peter dealing with what happened to him in a more real and believable way might have been a been a bit of a downer and not really suitable for the book's target audience.

Magick is Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Raphael Edwards View Post
    Personally, I would've been and I think Otto got off to easy anyway, as I'm certain he'll be back and free to roam, but I get why Peter has this, "Im just happy to be alive" mentality and isn't really ticked off. He's made it back from "death" and he doesn't want to waste it sulking.
    I think it's being saved for later issues when certain aspects of Otto's life as Spidey will have to be dealt with by Peter.

Slow simmer and all that.

Spectacular Member SilverSpider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightMage View Post
    I think it's being saved for later issues when certain aspects of Otto's life as Spidey will have to be dealt with by Peter.

Slow simmer and all that.
    I hope not. I thought that after all Peter went through he has learned by now that sulking doesn't help.
    If one of his loved ones is in danger as a direct result of the mindswap though I can understand it happening. It's only natural then.
    But not a random thing like my company is being ruined by Fisk now I have to sulk if only I hadn't gotten it in the first place.
    Creativity is awesome.

It's a cruel world, that doesn't care for you. Which is why remember to always smile.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'd have been quite.......annoyed to put it mildly if Doc Ock had done to me so yes I think Peter should be a bit more miffed about it personally. On the other hand I can understand him being in the ''Not wanting to waste my second chance by sulking'' mode as well.

BANNED

I'm sure he appreciates having his life back, given that Otto did kinda win. Peter may even owe Green Goblin some thanks for making it possible that returned. But of course Peter will just turn around and punch them in the face for something as trivial as murder and general mayhem.

Way to show gratitude, Parker

Personally I think it's fine, I mean there is a huge problem involving his new "girlfriend" and the fact that a lot of people hate him, but you have to think of it from a point where Peter has come back, Aunt May's walking again, he's a doctor, and is running his own business. So, not everything Doc Ock did was so bad.

formerly 'saucemaster' saucemaster's Avatar

Is Peter quitting the company that Otto stated for him? Or returning the doctorate that Otto earned? If not, he owes him for those, too.

BANNED

I can sense the "relax, it's just a comic" crowd coming.

I don't expect a lot of nuance, like Peter having angst over being buried alive in Soul of the Hunter. I think it just rings a little false to have Peter almost having awe in this issue for Otto in light of what he's done. He even considers finding a way to dip back in Otto's memories. It's like, did Peter not learn any lesson from the last year and a half of events?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I would explain that as Peter having gotten to know Otto on an intimate level (not that kind of intimate) that few people have ever reached and seeing the breadth and depth of everything Otto was and could have been leading to a profound respect in spite of everything Otto did to him. In truth, if you think about it a certain way, Otto wasn't coming from a place of pure evil so much as a place of pure misery and loneliness that drove him to lash out in the vain hope of getting the love and respect he felt was due him, however horrible his actions were. If anything, I think Peter's mourning the man Otto could have become and maybe should have become, with better influences and a better support system to steer him on the path of becoming someone whose actions and ideas would have made the world better instead of worse.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I think we have to understand is that Peter doesn't understand what Otto did in his body. I mean he has no idea that Horizon went under, the city was being spied on, Massacre was shot in the face, and every other thing Otto did. Right now all Peter sees are the things Otto did with Parker Industries, nothing else. Peter's gonna get angry later on, when he knows more of Otto really did.

Not only Parker should be angry against Spock for stealing his life and almost erasing him from existence (for at least several months), but he should be even angrier at himself at the moment.
    Maybe Spock wasn't as efficient as he thought to be Spider-Man, but he sure had some real successes in several areas that should give pause to Parker at the very least, professionnally and with his aunt May.
    He should be like "how is it that couldn't I do that for my family, for myself, all this time? How could Octavius achieved so much in months when I had a lifetime to do it and I didn't?"
    And so on.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

It seems more appropriate for the character to be happy to be alive. What he lost pales in comparison to what he almost lost.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets