Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default New to comics :)

Hi guys I am fairly new to comics and was wondering if you could recommend any of the new stuff too me?

I have recently picked up Daredevil #3 I had to skip 1 and 2 as I can't find them anywhere and will be picking up #4

I also picked up Star wars darth vader #1 and the new deadpool.

Will you guys be able to recommend any other new marvel comics?

Thanks all

Welcome aboard! I am fairly new myself..if you like DareDevil I am going to recommend Samnee/Waid/Wilson's Black Widow for sure. The first issue just came out this month so you won't have a lot of catching up.

I am also going to recommend both All New and uncanny Inhumans, and the Ultimates to start.

Try a little I of everything. You'll find what comics click with you before longtime.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Incredible Member Moral_Gutpunch's Avatar

I've been new to comics for years and I'm still a fan. Try not to be overwhelmed and start poking around genres you like. If you're truly baffled by continuity, there's always wikipedia, Marvel wiki, wikia, and even better, us.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moral_Gutpunch View Post
    I've been new to comics for years and I'm still a fan. Try not to be overwhelmed and start poking around genres you like. If you're truly baffled by continuity, there's always wikipedia, Marvel wiki, wikia, and even better, us.
    Thanks guys, what is Doctor Strange and Nova like? Any other suggestions guys ?

I would encourage you to check out Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Power Man and Iron Fist, Mockingbird, and Black Widow. Those are all really good and just started recently, so they're easy to get into.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    I would encourage you to check out Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Power Man and Iron Fist, Mockingbird, and Black Widow. Those are all really good and just started recently, so they're easy to get into.
    Thanks man I will have to check those out!

Any other recently started ones?

Those are the ones I would most recommend checking out that are pretty recently started. Take some time to browse though, see what looks good to you. Take a look at the stuff on Marvel's online store, you can preview the first three pages from any issue: https://comicstore.marvel.com/comics-best-sellers

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    Those are the ones I would most recommend checking out that are pretty recently started. Take some time to browse though, see what looks good to you. Take a look at the stuff on Marvel's online store, you can preview the first three pages from any issue: https://comicstore.marvel.com/comics-best-sellers
    Thanks I will definitely use that to preview the pages, do you buy paper version or digital? I prefer paper myself.

Tempted to give Nova a shot as well.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EndOfTimes View Post
    Thanks guys, what is Doctor Strange and Nova like? Any other suggestions guys ?
    Nova has been OK. Strange has been really good.

Normally, I suggest to new readers, if they have found a book they already like, to check out the writers other work. In your case, that would be Soule's Inhuman books.

I'm a big fan of Ewing too,so I'd suggest New Avengers and the Ultimate's.

Ultimates, New Avengers, Contest of Champions for high concepts, cult characters, multiverse showcase, respectively.
    Ultimates even gave you reading suggestions after each issue.
    Last edited by itspopularnowitsucks; 03-22-2016 at 11:47 AM.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Nova has been OK. Strange has been really good.

Normally, I suggest to new readers, if they have found a book they already like, to check out the writers other work. In your case, that would be Soule's Inhuman books.

I'm a big fan of Ewing too,so I'd suggest New Avengers and the Ultimate's.
    Thanks for the advice any more advisories guys ?

Spectacular Member

If you end up liking Dr. Strange, then check out Thor, same writer and it's one of the best Thor runs.

Incredible Member Moral_Gutpunch's Avatar

If you have Marvel Unlimited (or know someone who does), they have character, story, and theme spotlights and changes them every few days. You could always explore that.

BANNED

If you started so recently, my suggestion would be to forgot monthlies and go for collections. You get more story for less money, they are easy to find even online at good prices (check amazon) and you can start from the first volume and if you like it buy the others. The best stuff available in collections from recent times for me are: Mark Waid's Daredevil, Matt Fraction's Hawkeye (the previous run, not the recent one by Lemire), Willow's Ms. Marvel, Gillen's and Mc Kelvie's Young Avengers, Spencer's and Lieber's Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Some link to help you:

Hakweye Vol. 1

Daredevil Vol. 1

Young Avengers Vol. 1

Ms. Marvel Vol. 1

Superior Foes of Spider-Man Vol. 1
    Last edited by penthotal; 03-22-2016 at 02:55 PM.

It's hard to suggest something without knowing a bit more about you and your tastes. Marvel currently puts out over 70 books, and has many, many more runs in it's history which can be read in trade. All of them are different and appeal to different types of fans.

What TV shows, movies, and books do you like?