Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    I know. This doesn't exactly feel like a reboot.
    I guess some could be considered reboots, like Thor, but since there's clear chronological storytelling on how the new status quo came to be, then it's just a continuation of the story right?

A reboot would be something like Waid's new Archie series.

Tho the shake-ups with ANAD through roster changes and fairly daring experimental stories in some cases (for Marvel), have been interesting.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I've been reading Extroadinary X-Men and it hasn't been really enjoyable. I plan on dropping it once my subscription finishes.

I think that the current X-Men status quo is interesting, but isn't being executed well.

The Avengers titles seem to be doing good. Uncanny Avengers has been fun, and so have what little I've read of ANAD Avengers.

For me the most fun titles have been Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Woman.

Vision is probably my pick for best book. A shame more people aren't checking it out (and a shame that King is leaving with #12. But it is an absolutely incredible book and I will enjoy it while it lasts.)

Spectacular Member

It's been a mixed bag for me.

I was excited about a lot of the new solo announcements. Ongoings for Hercules and particularly Black Knight meant that some under-served favourites were finally going to get some attention, but it looks like both books are cancelled (BK has already finished) and I can't see where they'll fit elsewhere.
    Of the surviving solos, Vision has definitely been a masterful surprise, probably the best book Marvel are putting out.

Of the Avengers books, I'm really enjoying ANAD, and Uncanny has been quite fun. The Standoff crossover has been great so far. However, I'm not so interested in the line-ups of New Avengers and Ultimates. I'd love to see an additional title with some of the more 'classic' members.

I'm totally turned off the X-Men line at the moment. The Gillen/Aaron runs were great, and I enjoyed the Bendis era a lot too....but the current status quo is doing nothing for me, and the removal of Cyclops from the table is a shame. He was the most compelling character.
    I'm on Twitter! @alex_jamieson

My review is simple: I enjoy most of what I've read, but remain confused about the overall state of the universe and its history. The latter doesn't affect the former--I can enjoy things on their own merits--it just seems weird to me.

Spectacular Member

I have to say I used the end of Secret War as a stepping off point for Marvel comics. For me the continuity was a link to my childhood. Reading them reminded me of how I felt when I was 8 and that was a great feeling once a week in the world of families and mortgages and all that stuff. Without that, they just seem like an outdated medium, compared to the films and TV shows.

But that's a bit of a creative dead end so I see why they did it.

Quote Originally Posted by teepee View Post
    I have to say I used the end of Secret War as a stepping off point for Marvel comics. For me the continuity was a link to my childhood. Reading them reminded me of how I felt when I was 8 and that was a great feeling once a week in the world of families and mortgages and all that stuff. Without that, they just seem like an outdated medium, compared to the films and TV shows.
    Pretty much the same for me, except I don't watch the tv shows or movies.

But that's a bit of a creative dead end so I see why they did it.
    You act like there was an actual reboot.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    You act like there was an actual reboot.
    Wasn't there? All the comics I liked disappeared simultaneously. The Hulk became an irritating teenager mid-story. Avengers are unrecognisable. X-Men are a mess. Everyone died and was put back together slightly differently. I'm not quite sure whether it was a reboot or not.

The Avengers team books are bad. The Avengers solo titles have been good. I am enjoying the Vision and Scarlet witch solos.

Wasn't there? All the comics I liked disappeared simultaneously. The Hulk became an irritating teenager mid-story. Avengers are unrecognisable. X-Men are a mess. Everyone died and was put back together slightly differently. I'm not quite sure whether it was a reboot or not.
    Everything you mentioned is just a new status quo. Its really just a relaunch.

Amazing Member

More Reviews:

Marvel continues with some lighter more humorous comics:

The Totally Awesome Hulk: Just reading the title it already spells out a comic that should be more humorous and comedic than serious. With a brand new Hulk in the form of Amadeus who has a sister complex (goes nuts when sister is in danger) - the first few issues are a light and humorous ("Come dude, Hulk it up" dialogue); along with the almost cartoonish coloring of the art - it reads as humor. For Hulk fans - they might be cringing at this latest Hulk (Marvel now has 2 hulks- that should prove fun); and for new fans they might find it light and refreshing without all the Hulk baggage.

7/10

Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat: Hellcat gets her own comic and it falls into the category of humor. It reads like a day day life of a superhero who is sort of not a superhero as Hellcat works as a retail salesperson while trying to start her new superhero temp agency. There is some light superhero action included in each issue and some minor obstacles as well (as Patsy gets fired again). The light touch of humor along with the cartoon-like art makes it a humor comic. The comic feels like a Saturday morning cartoon with its humorous writing and art.

If you enjoy something lighter you might want to give it a try - sadly I don't see it lasting.

6.5/10

Amazing Member

With the relaunch the All-New All-Different Marvel universe is a lot more diverse than we have ever seen:

The new Hulk - is Asian (Amadeus Cho) and a genius - so keeping with the science turned Hulk theme - this time we have a young genius who becomes the Hulk.

Ms. Marvel - is Pakistani American (Kamala Khan) and also a Muslim, in addition to being a Nuhuman.

new Spiderman - is a half-Black/half-Hispanic (Miles Morales)

new Captain America - is the superhero formerly known as the Falcon (African American) - who has accepted the role as Captain America.

There is a lot more superhero characters from a diverse cultural, gender + (sexual orientation), and ethnic background - the Ultimates for example with Black Panther, Spectrum, Blue Marvel, Ms America and Captain Marvel; and the New Avengers with White Tiger, Hulking, Powerman, Wiccan, Sunspot etc

And we have a lot more women in this new universe that have a leading role and their own series:

- A-Force - composed of an all-women team

- Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel with their own comics

- Black Widow - with her own comic and Hellcat with one as well.

- All New Inhumans - with Crystal as their leader and the Inhumans in general lead by Queen Medusa

- a female Thor - has her own series - and stars in ANAD Avengers

- Angela - with her own series and making her mark in the Asgardian world

- Mockingbird - with her own series

- Laura takes on the mantle of Wolverine - in her own series

- Kitty Pryde - seems to be at least the co-leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy

- Spiderwoman, Silk and Spider-Gwen - have their own series

- Scarlet Witch in her own series

- Storm continues to lead the Xmen (or at least one team)

I think one of the more amazing things about the All New All Different Marvel universe is the diversity in the characters and comics that came with this relaunch of the Marvel universe.
    Last edited by magisensei; 03-18-2016 at 12:56 PM.

They are slowly explaining what happened to Bruce Banner.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by magisensei View Post
    I think one of the more amazing things about the All New All Different Marvel universe is the diversity in the characters and comics that came with this relaunch of the Marvel universe.
    I've read the various X-titles since the late 80s and they have always been diverse and it didn't take an editorial push to make it happen, it flowed naturally.