Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by penthotal View Post
    Ex Nihilo's actions from mars have been solved by Hickman in Avengers. One of the bombs became Pod, another was absorbed by Shang Chi that acquired new powers. Another was destroyed by Starbrand. Another made Vanguard is vehicle on earth, one became the zebra kids that worked in the savage island to build the multiversal travel machine used by Sunspot's Avengers and the last one served its purpose of contacting the Builders and letting the know Earth was the center of a multiversal collapse. There is nothing left unsolved.
    Certainly Ex Nihilo achieved some lasting effects with his bombs, but it was all short circuited by Starbrand, so whatever its intention, it never found its resolution to evolve the Earth into something new. Unless we think Secret Wars was a result of Ex Nihilo?

Quote Originally Posted by teepee View Post
    Wasn't there? All the comics I liked disappeared simultaneously. The Hulk became an irritating teenager mid-story. Avengers are unrecognisable. X-Men are a mess. Everyone died and was put back together slightly differently. I'm not quite sure whether it was a reboot or not.
    Very nice teepee. I've been looking for a way to state that.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    They are slowly explaining what happened to Bruce Banner.
    Is that the assumed Hulk Bruce in Pleasant Hill?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    But it won't. The Inhumans only need the Terrigen Mist to activate their Inhuman powers. They don't need it reproduce.

At present, the Mist causing mutants and normal humans, exposed to the infected mutants, to die. Removing the Mist seems to be the smarter option. The Inhumans could just use their brains and re-create the Terrigen crystals or something.
    Here's some food for thought. Before the events of AVX, mutants were supposedly heading for extinction due to the dormancy of
    the X-gene, their own particular version of terrigen mist. But they still would have been born and lived their lives as regular human
    beings. Yet it was treated as the most horrible thing to have ever happened to mutants, so how can you suggest that doing basically
    the same thing to the Inhumans is okay? Why should mutants, or any of the different categories of superpowered people in the
    Marvel Universe have their own set of values, depending on the situation they find themselves in, when other groups are crucified
    by readers when they take the same actions? I don't think X-fans want equality at all for their team. They want extra special
    treatment and are blinded to how hypocritical some of their comments are.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Is that the assumed Hulk Bruce in Pleasant Hill?
    What do you mean? I know that in the new Hulk series there are flashbacks to some disaster that the Hulk saved by absorbing all the radiation into himself.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

The bright lights:

Dr Strange (and it's really bright - Bachalo has really found a venue to go batcrap crazy and it looks great)
    Silver Surfer (though we've only just begun again)
    Vision (so damned.... weird. Tom King is leaving after issue 12 for permanent work at DC so get reading, it's going to be a good run)
    Iron Man (Dr Doom as a recurring character? Sounds good to me)
    Uncanny Inhumans
    Uncanny X-Men (I'm a sucker for Magneto)
    (Miles Morales) Spider-Man
    Amadeus Cho Hulk (this book has no business being good, but it's somehow entertaining me)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (plugging along, still entertaining as it was before the Secret Wars... and hey... Kitty Pryde)
    Ultimates (it's a good comic, trust everyone - they're right)

Bringing up the rear but still worth my money - for now:

Daredevil (and it pains me to say it, I've been a reader for many years but it has slipped to the bottom of the "to read" pile for the first time ever)
    Waidvengers (something interesting better happen & quick)
    All-New Inhumans (we don't need two titles, but I can't force myself to send that message to Marvel by dropping this book quite yet)
    Extraordinary X-Men (it's ok. We'll see how the first big event goes, it started this past week)
    Old Man Logan (potential exists here)
    Karnak (I have no clue what to do with this book - they could easily have Moon Knight or Iron Fist or Shang Chi drawn in place of Karnak & you wouldn't know the difference - giving it one more issue)

Didn't make the cut (I started reading but tapped out after 1-2 issues):

Amazing Spider-Man (Dan Slott is writing a big What If story as far as I'm concerned, it's way too far removed from the Parker I cared about)
    All New X-Men (I wish they had wrapped up the time travel story line neatly & tidily before Secret Wars - this is a mess that isn't going away any time soon at this point)
    New Avengers (nope, not one thing interesting to me here)
    Contest of Champions (ugh)
    Starlord (origin story to start, but I didn't care to continue with it)
    Last edited by jjreason; 03-19-2016 at 04:55 PM.

The comics I'm reading each month are - save for one - totally knocking it out of the park. Except for Spider-Gwen, all of the other monthlies I buy have awesome creative teams who have not just a clear, effective understanding of what the their title should be but also the artistic capability to see their ideas to fruition.

The first two issues of Power Man & Iron Fist is nailing the relationship of the titular characters and provides a fun, colorful setting for their adventures.
    Dan Slott and the Allreds' Silver Surfer continues to give me everything I never knew I wanted from an SS comic.
    The Vision reads like something Alfred Hitchcock would write for Marvel. It's that good.
    But Weirdworld is just so amazeballs each and every month that nothing tops it for me. I love it.

Spider-Gwen, on the other hand, just isn't capturing what I hoped it would be. Nothing against what it is - and I'm still buying it for now. It's just not hitting the notes I hoped it would hit.

-Pav, who thinks the new Moon Knight comic looks cool too...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    What do you mean? I know that in the new Hulk series there are flashbacks to some disaster that the Hulk saved by absorbing all the radiation into himself.
    I didn't know the radiation thing. I was referring to in Pleasant Hill there was a guy named Bruce there as one of the prisoners.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Here's some food for thought. Before the events of AVX, mutants were supposedly heading for extinction due to the dormancy of
    the X-gene, their own particular version of terrigen mist. But they still would have been born and lived their lives as regular human
    beings. Yet it was treated as the most horrible thing to have ever happened to mutants, so how can you suggest that doing basically
    the same thing to the Inhumans is okay? Why should mutants, or any of the different categories of superpowered people in the
    Marvel Universe have their own set of values, depending on the situation they find themselves in, when other groups are crucified
    by readers when they take the same actions? I don't think X-fans want equality at all for their team. They want extra special
    treatment and are blinded to how hypocritical some of their comments are.
    The X-gene is not mutants version of the Terrigan Mist. The mutants are born from HUMANS if there is no X-gene then they would not be born MUTANTS. Cutting off the X-gene prevented the birth of MUTANTS.It is not the same thing it is 2 very different circumstances.

Without the mist INHUMANS would still be born without the mist.The mist has proven harmful to Humans and Mutants.

I see you are once again taking jabs at X-fans. So instead of generalizing a whole fanbase i will point out your own hypocritical viewpoints.

I think you are projecting your own feelings on X-fans. You want extra special treatment for the Inhumans it is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    They want extra special treatment and are blinded to how hypocritical some of their comments are.
    Wanting our favorite characters able to leave the hell dimension they were force into so they'd be out of the way isn't asking for special treatment.

I have to say I used the end of Secret War as a stepping off point for Marvel comics. For me the continuity was a link to my childhood. Reading them reminded me of how I felt when I was 8 and that was a great feeling once a week in the world of families and mortgages and all that stuff. Without that, they just seem like an outdated medium, compared to the films and TV shows.

But that's a bit of a creative dead end so I see why they did it.
    Well it wasn't a reboot or better said it wasn't a new start to clean things up so the mashing of continuum, hero to anti-heroes and villains to heroes or anti-heroes continue.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by TakoM View Post
    Well it wasn't a reboot or better said it wasn't a new start to clean things up so the mashing of continuum, hero to anti-heroes and villains to heroes or anti-heroes continue.

Hmm I saw Magneto (for example) die. Also Cyclops. I read a whole 2 year series about the Illuminati struggling to prevent the end of the universe. Did any of that happen? Is it remembered?

Amazing Member

Hmm I saw Magneto (for example) die. Also Cyclops. I read a whole 2 year series about the Illuminati struggling to prevent the end of the universe. Did any of that happen? Is it remembered?
    My rant....

Probably not. Personally, I'd rather forget everything after One More Day or maybe it was when the entire AVX started (actually for the Xmen I'd like forget everything since Messiah story line but that's just me) or rather when Spidey and Wolverine got drafted into the Avengers and everything that has since happened. I think everything in the last several years will be mostly forgotten as the All New All Different will allow for new stories without some of the baggage from before - you notice there hasn't been baggage from the first Civil War - totally forgotten - so it is not surprising that just a couple of years can be so easily forgotten I mean 25+ years of Spiderman was erased with one story. Okay that's my rant .... back to the topic of the post....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Review continued:

Dr. Strange - one of the better solo issues to appear out of the new Marvel universe. I enjoyed it - solid writing, good art, and a story that makes you want to pick up the next issue. It's been a while since I've read Dr Strange but if the writing continues as well as the first issue then I will continue with it as one of the better solo comics that has emerged.

9/10

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by magisensei View Post
    My rant....

Probably not. Personally, I'd rather forget everything after One More Day or maybe it was when the entire AVX started
    I think it boils down to the proposition that this was a universal reboot carried out in-story by Reed Richards. But a reboot nonetheless. The narrative thread with Stan Lee's original characters is broken.