Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supergirls

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    With the TV show making great emphasis that Kara Zor-El and Kal-El are cousins I doubt any future comic books would have them not being related as this would just confuse people who buy the comic books as a result of the TV show. And most comic books do get a big spike in sales after the characters are presented in a movie or TV show. So to continue to sell they have to be familiar.
    Do you have proof for this? Everything I've ever seen says that floppies see little to no increase in readership when a show or film hit, with the extremely rare exception like Guardians of the Galaxy. Trades apparently see a nice spike, but only for the short term.

Not calling you a liar or anything, just curious if there's a study out there with contrary findings that I haven't seen. If you have a link I'd love to research it. I study business, so, y'know....I enjoy weird stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The "cousin from Krypton" thing isn't my favorite, but I can get past it. I prefer her to not really be related to Kal-El at all, but be "family" to him regardless. Kal has always been about building family, so it fits. Being a direct cousin always seemed forced. As someone from a largely old world/immigrant family I barely know any of my own cousins, so it seems poetic to me that Superman would build a family for himself. I'm also a pretty big proponent of Kara being pretty young.

I was thinking of bringing Lois in through Cir-El. I'd love to do a real Cir-El story. I loved her design so I'd really like that character to get a chance to be something more than what she was. I like "vague ancestor without much memory to why she's there" as a trope, not outright daughter but sprung from the Kal-El/Lois Lane bloodline. Lois could easily be a big part of the book, Lana too.
    Oh, there's no chance of Kara not being Clark's cousin, at least for the foreseeable future, but conceptually it's always been a terrible idea in my mind, even when Kara herself is well written and enjoyable. Just say she's a Daxamite or something, is what I say. They're vaguely related to Kryptonians, there's your "cousin" connection right there.

If you were to mess around with Cir-El's origin a bit, why not tie her into the 31st century? Superman has always had strong connections to that era (even post-Crisis eventually brought those back) and you could say that Cir-El was sent back for some critically important reason, if only she could remember what that is.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Speaking of Daxamite's, I'd love to see Laurel Gand re-introduced into the mythos. Highly unlikely though it may be...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Cir-El is one of those bad ideas best left forgotten and buried in the past.

Retired

Personally I'd prefer to have a SUPER GIRLS book in the TINY TITANS style of Art Baltazar and Franco Aureliani. It would be out of continuity, but it would have the girls as little girls--the Karas, plus Raven, Wonder Girl and Miss Martian.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh, there's no chance of Kara not being Clark's cousin, at least for the foreseeable future, but conceptually it's always been a terrible idea in my mind, even when Kara herself is well written and enjoyable. Just say she's a Daxamite or something, is what I say. They're vaguely related to Kryptonians, there's your "cousin" connection right there.

If you were to mess around with Cir-El's origin a bit, why not tie her into the 31st century? Superman has always had strong connections to that era (even post-Crisis eventually brought those back) and you could say that Cir-El was sent back for some critically important reason, if only she could remember what that is.....
    Yeah, I agree man. I never really liked Zor-El being the same as Jor-El either. Too derivative. I like Argo being a space colony of Kryptonians that survived a bit longer on artifical life support. I like your Daxam idea (though in the 21st century there exists no cure for their lead aversion). I even like her just being Matrix (though I more comfortable with that being a separate character).

I love the idea of tying Cir-El to the 31st century! We could even push it farther and have her come from a LoSH in the far flung 50th century or some such. Let it be kinda crazy and her memory a bit fuzzy. She's just happy to be getting to know "grandma and grandpa".

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Cir-El is one of those bad ideas best left forgotten and buried in the past.
    Eh I think any character can take shape with the right creator behind em. I love Cir-El's look, so beyond that everything else would be different! Maybe the Futuresmiths could take in a new form/role as well.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-20-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Personally I'd prefer to have a SUPER GIRLS book in the TINY TITANS style of Art Baltazar and Franco Aureliani. It would be out of continuity, but it would have the girls as little girls--the Karas, plus Raven, Wonder Girl and Miss Martian.
    I'd support this idea, too! More in the vein of COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE 8TH GRADE by Landry Q. Walker, though. I liked the optimistic, kinetic fun of that book.

I'd support this idea, too! More in the vein of COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE 8TH GRADE by Landry Q. Walker, though. I liked the optimistic, kinetic fun of that book.
    Was that any good? Thought about tracking it down for my daughter. She's two, thinks she's a superhero, and I do everything I can to encourage that mindset.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Was that any good? Thought about tracking it down for my daughter. She's two, thinks she's a superhero, and I do everything I can to encourage that mindset.
    I enjoyed it! I don't remember anything in there that wouldn't be appropriate for your daughter (Comet is a major character but he isn't rape-y/uncomfortable Comet). Supergirl is learning the ropes in it and has a good wit and sass about her. Superman is actually quite witty himself. Always hoped we'd get more since it would make a pretty good kids show.

There's a weirdness to a lot of the Silver Age Supergirl stuff that is really untapped. Peter David came closest with his run, touching on the creepier/stranger elements of Supergirl. A whole world that a cartoon could easily tap into.

Off topic, but have you showed her the KRYPTO cartoon from a few years back?
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-20-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Was that any good? Thought about tracking it down for my daughter.
    I believe a new release of the tpb collection is coming towards early May.

amazon.com

barnesandnoble.com

SUPERGIRL: COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE EIGHTH GRADE NEW EDITION

Astonishing Member

Cir-El's definitely my favorite iteration of Supergirl so I'd love to see her appear again.

I've even kicked around the idea of having her be renamed to avoid conflict if necesssary. Call her Sunburst on account of her red sun sunburst power. It wouldn't be all that difficult to mainline her in the universe SOMEHOW.

I even once thought it might work to make her the daughter of the Russian Zod.

I'd actually love to see a Super person's Web Warriors esque bit. Like an extended version of the Superman Beyond storyline.

I'd LOVE to see the Kara from the Superman/Aliens story brought back too. She's theoretically just off in space somewhere. I know it's its own AU but there's no reason they couldn't use her and just not mention the type of Alien they met because of. Plus it amuses me that a Kara first appeared Post Crisis in such an odd book.
    Last edited by PyroTwilight; 03-21-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Retired

After watching the SUPERGIRL TV show, it occurred to me that they had an opportunity to do diversity and they wouldn't have had to change almost anything in the story. If Zor-El had married a woman of colour on Vathlo, then Kara would have been mixed race. That would have fit with the shows theme of fitting in. Superman can pass, where J'Onn can't. Kara could have had a similar challenge. Not that I have anything against Melissa Benoist as Kara--or Laura Benanti as her mother and aunt. But it would be an interesting idea to pursue in an Imaginary Story or alternate universe.

I enjoyed it! I don't remember anything in there that wouldn't be appropriate for your daughter (Comet is a major character but he isn't rape-y/uncomfortable Comet). Supergirl is learning the ropes in it and has a good wit and sass about her. Superman is actually quite witty himself. Always hoped we'd get more since it would make a pretty good kids show.

There's a weirdness to a lot of the Silver Age Supergirl stuff that is really untapped. Peter David came closest with his run, touching on the creepier/stranger elements of Supergirl. A whole world that a cartoon could easily tap into.

Off topic, but have you showed her the KRYPTO cartoon from a few years back?
    I forgot about that Krypto show. I think she has a book or something but I forgot it was an actual cartoon. Gonna have to try to hunt that down too.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I believe a new release of the tpb collection is coming towards early May.

amazon.com

barnesandnoble.com

SUPERGIRL: COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE EIGHTH GRADE NEW EDITION
    Awesome, thanks!

~ Black Panther.

I forgot about that Krypto show. I think she has a book or something but I forgot it was an actual cartoon.
    By the way, there several DC Super Pets books that are geared towards younger readers.

http://www.capstonekids.com/characte...ets/index.html

Here's a link to get to a DC preview to one book called Pooches of Power:
    http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/03...review-chapter
    (Hopefully it's still working.)

Thanks again for the info, MajorHoy!

It amazes me how much she loves her superheroes. I mean, my wife and I have encouraged it, but our son (who's 9) has never taken to them like she has. He likes them and I think we've bought just about every Disney Infinity figure from Marvel, but his sister.....all she watches is Daniel Tiger and every superhero cartoon I can find, from Avengers Assemble to the 90's Batman and Young Justice. But Superhero Girls is definitely her favorite. All those episodes amount to about 20 minutes of footage and she'll watch them for hours if we let her.

~ Black Panther.

It amazes me how much she loves her superheroes. I mean, my wife and I have encouraged it, but our son (who's 9) has never taken to them like she has. He likes them and I think we've bought just about every Disney Infinity figure from Marvel, but his sister.....all she watches is Daniel Tiger and every superhero cartoon I can find, from Avengers Assemble to the 90's Batman and Young Justice. But Superhero Girls is definitely her favorite. All those episodes amount to about 20 minutes of footage and she'll watch them for hours if we let her.
    There were also several animated shorts with Supergirl, Batgirl, and Wonder Girl called something like "Super Best Friends Forever" they had on Cartoon Network a few years back, but I'm not sure where to find them.