Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Unhappy Web-Warriors #5 SPOILER / Review

Um...
    spoilers:
    With the Web-Warriors evicted from their Earth-001 HQ by the Electros and separated in different universes, Spider-UK issues a challenge through the Web of Life to call out the Dillons and their expies to a showdown on Earth-803 (Lady Spider's world). This is a delaying tactic for Spider-Gwen, Spider-Uncle Ben and their ally Octavia Otto on Earth-983 to re-infiltrate the Electro-Warriors' base in Earth-449 to confront their eldritch leader, Battery!Electro. Octavia's plan to wipe Battery's collective minds with a teleconsciousness helmet (ooh, remember this, SpOck-critics?) fizzles out, so Gwen teleports her group and Battery to Karn's (and the others') location. The Web-Warriors encase the Electros with Pavitr's special conductive (and apparently permanent) webbing cage to neutralize and trap them, but Karn is slowed by hunger to clear the web's general area. Spider-UK lets Karn drain him to give him enough strength to be dragged out by Spider-Gwen, but Mayday drops into the cage to rescue the depleted UK. With little time before the Elcetros wise up to their plan, Anya - as UK's second in command - orders the others to completely seal the cage. Karn assures the other Warriors that UK and Mayday have used their damaged teleport watches to escape, but is unsure what universe them may have gone out due to the Electros damaging the Web of Life back in 001. Uncle Ben takes his leave to look after his adopted universe and family in the absence of Mayday, while the other Warriors can only hope to locate their missing two any other time than now. As Karn says, the Web needs all of them.
    end of spoilers
    Wow, way to throw Mayday under the bus again. That fact that the letters page crew act as if Billy Braddock/SpUK and Mayday were KIA like they "promised" in the #5 preview solicit was just grating. And no hint on the next ish teaser what will happen on #6. Bad form.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Hahahaha- oh god this isn't going to be pretty.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

BANNED

So Mayday and Billy are "lost"? Sounds like a chance to have them on their own side-adventure until the others rescue them. Not seeing the problem.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    So Mayday and Billy are "lost"? Sounds like a chance to have them on their own side-adventure until the others rescue them. Not seeing the problem.
    You are giving them too much credit.

This was an ingenious in-universe way to erase Mayday and bury the most oversahdowing female Spider character and more vestiges of the Spider-Marriage whilst skating aside controversy.

They've turned her into a the comic book version of Schrodinger's cat, someone who exists in an uncertain state between life and death. Marvel can say they didn't kill her or erase her but this achieves that end nevertheless.

**** this hard

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    You are giving them too much credit.

This was an ingenious in-universe way to erase Mayday and bury the most oversahdowing female Spider character and more vestiges of the Spider-Marriage whilst skating aside controversy.

They've turned her into a the comic book version of Schrodinger's cat, someone who exists in an uncertain state between life and death. Marvel can say they didn't kill her or erase her but this achieves that end nevertheless.

**** this hard
    I can't tell if you're joking or not.

According to the OP, Karn even says they have to be found.

They make it clear that she's alive, but holy s*** this is one of those "Are you sh***** me?" moments.

It's the typical, "let's push out one character to put spotlight on another". Even worse, the characters involved are women, in a team where the ratio benefits the male members.

I wanted Anya to get more spotlight... but not like this...
    Last edited by Spider-Chan; 03-16-2016 at 12:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    They make it clear that she's alive, but holy s*** this is one of those "Are you sh***** me?" moments.

It's the typical, "let's push out one character to put spotlight on another". Even worse, the characters involved are women, in a team where the ratio benefits the male members.

So what you're saying is that they can't have Billy and Mayday on a side-adventure in an unknown universe while the rest of the team tries to find them and deal with not having their leader? The side-adventure may very well put focus on their relationship/friendship while they watch each other's back.

The idea that they're not gonna be shown doing their thing is simply baffling.

So what you're saying is that they can't have Billy and Mayday on a side-adventure in an unknown universe while the rest of the team tries to find them and deal with not having their leader? The side-adventure may very well put focus on their relationship/friendship while they watch each other's back.

I think he's saying that the comic clearly sucks because of what he thinks is going to happen in future issues.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think he's saying that the comic clearly sucks because of what he thinks is going to happen in future issues.
    Ohhhh.

Well, why didn't he just say that!

First, you really missed the point of my post. I was calling out a very tired trope that has at some point involved Anya and May. I even mentioned in my post that she's alive, leaving there the implication that we'll see more of her.

And where did I said that there couldn't be a side plot with them? Sure, there could be, and it could be fun. But this is a team book that has done very little on the team part. The fact that there could be a side story with them doesn't deny that there's a character who we know very little about who has had very little interaction with the rest of the cast (I mean, at least the rest had something in SW Spider-Verse) and now she's relegated to a side plot. At any other further point in the series I wouldn't have a problem, but at this point? When the main goal should be to consolidate the team, make their intentions clear and show us how their interaction works?

And again, I know she'll rejoin the team, but considering how this is selling, I wouldn't be surprised that by the time they rejoin the team it will feel really pointless.

And is so nice seeing a moderator jumping into the bandwagon of making fun of a user for something said user never said! It gives so much trust on the people managing the forums!

They should of killed off Anya.
    Last edited by mysterio1989; 03-16-2016 at 08:20 PM.

BANNED

I can't tell if you're joking or not.

According to the OP, Karn even says they have to be found.

It isn’t made clear if they are alive or not.

And as for having to be found, no they are going to try and find these 2 people who potentially might be alive but they dunno.

It’s the perfect way to write her out but leave enough hope dangling. Like how MJ said they will get back together in One More Day so people can hope but it wasn’t happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post

There was a moment which was practically the editors saying to the readers

“Anya is more important than Mayday”

I hope Spider-UK isn't out of action for too long. I mainly read the book just for him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    It isn’t made clear if they are alive or not.

And as for having to be found, no they are going to try and find these 2 people who potentially might be alive but they dunno.

It’s the perfect way to write her out but leave enough hope dangling. Like how MJ said they will get back together in One More Day so people can hope but it wasn’t happening.

There was a moment which was practically the editors saying to the readers

“Anya is more important than Mayday”
    Riiiiight.

How about this: When Mayday and Billy finish their side-adventure and return to the team, you have to write into the letter page and apologize for thinking so little of their staff. I think that's a fair wager.

I'm must write that while I picked this comic up because of Spider-Gwen I'm also a fan of Mayday plus I was hoping this series would build my interest in the other characters and establish the team and dynamic.

First the one big positive for me with the series thus far:
    Octavia Otto
    I list her as a positive as I wrote in a past topic involving the comic "Secret Wars Spider-Verse #3" http://community.comicbookresources....02#post1365502 my hopes:

"This comic has me thinking due to the nature of alternate universes and the knowledge that the Spider's have a sort of knowledge of the past life and natural instincts due to such. Each of the Spider's has his/her own sets of pros and weaknesses.
    Now the way Gwen was acting and her emotional state towards Norman has me thinking alot how even here people can be affected by what they know and have trouble adapting but for Gwen case it's far more subconsciousness level thus harder to shake if you don't recognize the situations causing it.
    What I mean is online and in shops I still read and hear people saying: "They brought Gwen back!? I though she was dead. I can't accept a Gwen not dead! It's her only destiny isn't it and ruins Peter's journey!" Now when I hear that I know they are referring to 616 version most of the time despite the Gwen alive is Earth-65 thus a different character in reality overall. Yet people are so cemented to what they know or use to that it's hard to adapt and open up.
    Now in the Spider-Verse we know this Gwen has probably been told many times by other Spiders about how their Gwen had died and who killed her. This would affect her mindset on every Norman that even during the mental effects of the Secret Wars in her subconsciousness she is negative to Norman(s) yet most likely going to be positive to Peter(s) without even knowing them or why. A fact however about alternate universes (which the Spider's don't truly understand that are in yet) however is everything that you know and the destinies of all characters that has come about in one Earth must be tossed out as it has no standing in every universe that could be visited. Thus THIS Norman could in fact be a hero but Gwen is subconsciously being affect by knowledge given to her during the first Spider-Verse by many Peters that causing internal subconsciousness friction between Norman and her. I would love for this Norman to be a hero and for Gwen (once her and the other Spider's are fixed) to give an apology and learn from the experience making her a stronger from the experience and set for future dimension adaptation needed for the Web Warriors comic.
    This comic is the gateway to the Web Warriors and establishing that you CAN'T let other versions establish history and destinies have any affect to future dimensions the Spiders and us the viewers will see during the Web Warriors. Open mind to everything and prepare to see anything."

Well none of that happened in that storyline. I was disappointed in that and found the SW Spider-Verse to be lackluster overall after everything was done and in resolution unfulfilling.

However with the Web Warriors series that has multiverse adventures as a draw a similar hope was with me that this factor could come into play. Now while majority of the Electros and Ocks met was villainous Octavia is not and has made comments to how her team of Young Avengers and parents was killed and possibly giving indication that whatever good Elecro and Ock power beings out there who wasn't villains was killed or captured by the evil Electro variations.
    Thus establishing in a way that not every character we have met and got to know in another universe (most likely a being from 616 or maybe even 1610) will always play the same part of the villain or hero in every AU out there.
    When having AU every possibility and potential is open and should be explored. That one character in terms of the broad expanding and almost infinite Multiverse a potential possibility of their different variety of fates is there. Good and evil, powers or non and what powers and more. I'm tired of Multiverse stories where every multiverse is basically the same variation of 616 but with just one small change (in the past the early "What If" tales presented that one change in just a non-serous comical fashion or as a way of saying that everything that has happened on 616 is how it should be for it would be worse for the heroes if any deviation happened).

In the comic Octavia states her Peter Parker has spider powers but is very evil. I'm happy to read that. Out there can be and should be evil Parkers of different powers and moral axis, Gwens of different powers and morality, and every other character with different variations also. Noir mentions a bad Professor X and on Earth-65 Matt Murdock is evil and it also appears Cindy Moon is as well with the upcoming event Spider-Women marketing has given. So I'm happy to meet a generally good different version and even age Ock powered being and brought to the fold. Plus her and Paviitr Prabhakar working together might be interesting. It can also be interesting and played upon having a Ock token teammate and friend among the Spiders (considering for her in her world the Spider is evil and in theirs Ocks are bad). It might be interesting to see what she can overall contribute plus her interactions and team dynamic. Thus for this series the potential not just revisited past AU worlds and characters fans love but also present other new and wide range of different AU and AU characters to discover and make use of. That wide variety and open mind against what might be well establish for fans and stereotyped is something I really wanted. Plus with her on the team plus now also it seems Steampunk Lady Spider, Gwen, and Anya the female and male ratio of the team has been leveled a bit more.

Cons for me however was this didn't feel like a great first team arc tale. It felt more like a story that is made after everybody and the team is iron out and the team dynamic is built with a solid foundation. More of a Mid tale put after a few others establishing team tales are made. While I entered for Gwen and Mayday I really wanted this series to build my interest in the other characters and their personalities. Spending time together with each one spending some time with another to help showcase how they all get along or play off of each other and not apart would of helped and not blogged down with this conflict also.
    Overall this wasn't the best starter story of a new team tale. Plus how they dealt with the Electro Army felt very off. Trapping them in a special web prison is one thing but this prison will ensure many of them will die without food or air to breath. As Ben said when Gwen threaten suffocation to the one Electro "We don't do that."

Plus that huge army fighting a few Spider's the odd by numbers really don't add up to how they even lasted that long without somebody dying. Plus I'm very disappointed they knocked out Mayday in that fashion and moreso how lacking in emotion such as mourning it felt for the loss and how Ben who became apart of her family and shown more care for her well-being in the SW Spider-Island side story I'll love to see how he going to break the news to Mother MJ.

Now they are not dead (that saving grace line thrown in means they have a great chance to come back randomly when they are suddenly needed) plus I would like a side story with them. If that happens not only will Mayday still be relevant and apart of the comic and eventual team again but it will help create a dynamic between the two after Mayday expressed leaving while Ben wanted a team in issue one thus they can work and understand each other better from this side adventure plus help further establish the Leader Billy as a individual and leader before regrouping. Meanwhile Anya shows what she has learned as 2nd in command taking the reins temporary and placing her and leadership position (I don't know if she was ever a leader of a team so this can be a character advancement point for her).

Overall I found the first story of the Web Warriors lackluster and not the strongest to start a team and AU book plus lacked heart but still has potential if everything is done right after this point and characters and team and character interactive dynamic and each character themselves becomes developed and stronger. However with this current writer it just doesn't feel like that might happen so I'm dropping this book but will be read on the forums for hopeful good things to get me jumping back on hopefully.

Of the Spider titles this one is very removed and doesn't make any impact in any other book including the Spider-Gwen series that I'm enjoying as Gwen makes no mention of these events nor have any impact on her or her series despite her being a member (the other characters that has their own books while also on some Avenger team makes at least a mention of it and how they balance the two out personally but this one doesn't). I'm finding more linkage to Silk/Cindy and Spider-Women/Jessica between the three books of theirs then this one has to anything (though that is most likely thanks to the upcoming Spider-Women event that the three writers are setting the stage a bit for it while making sure it doesn't stop their own stories they are making).
    You think a web that holds the Multiverse together might have a impact somehow to at least one book but that doesn't seem like it (which might also be a good thing that this book is separate from all others as this upcoming Civil War 2 that can hamper/bog all other tales will not have any effect on this book and what it's doing thus fans of this series doesn't have to worry about or follow Civil War 2 and the possible negative outcomes the Story might establish if that does happen).