All-New Member

Default Why I love Hellboy...

Hey everyone- brand new member of the community here. I noticed the Hellboy forum and simply had to drop a post about it.

I recently made a video about why Hellboy is such an important character, and such an expertly crafted book/universe. I did it as part of a new web show I'm doing, but I haven't officially made the video public yet. However, with the news from Mignola about him ending his run on Hellboy this year, I just couldn't help myself. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I wanted to share our thoughts on why the character has stood the test of time, and garnered the critical accolade to stand side by side with the big Marvel and DC characters throughout the year. And also why Mignola's decision to stop the on-going title speaks volumes for the character's reputation as one of the greatest comic characters in the last 25 years.

I really geek out on this, so I split it into two videos.

Part 1:

Part 2: https://youtu.be/GaqMMtkpyPw

If you're interested, please give it a watch. If not, no harm done, and thanks for reading this far; you're a trooper!

In the second part, around 11:20, you guys use an image from Head Lopper by Andrew MacLean. This image also appears twice in your intro in both videos. Just thought you'd want to know.

All-New Member

Gah- you're right! Good catch! I guess that's what happens when you're gathering imagery from the internet- That panel didn't immediately spring to mind when I stumbled on it, but I assumed it must've just gotten lost in a sea of recent Hellboy images from my latest re-read. Thanks for the catch middenway!
    Image errors aside, any thoughts on the videos overall? I appreciate the watch, and hope it didn't amount to a complete waste of your time

I watched both videos and found them very entertaining, thanks for sharing. The only thing that bothered me was Mike's name getting pronounced wrong, but a lot of people do it.

HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE YOUR LAST NAME?
    MIN-YO-LA

Art of Mike Mignola FAQ

All-New Member

Thanks topfueluhl! I appreciate the feedback and the corrections! Both of us on the show are guilty of not always doing our homework, or just not being able to cement the correct pronunciations into our long term memory... (just see us try to stumble through some of the character names in our 3-part Morrison Multiversity series we did)
    We'll def. make mention of it in later episodes, so we don't lose Mike's viewership

Thanks for the watch!

I'm always happy to see people sharing their love of Hellboy and its broader universe. Thanks for sharing.