Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Fantastic Member

My own view on this is that, for the most part, the metaphor doesn't work well at all. The problem with it is that it does not account for the fact that mutants have among their number fantastically powerful and dangerous beings. Putting aside for the moment the question of how numerous such dangerous mutants are, the reality of power completely changes the dynamic and the conversation. In the real world, most discriminated against and abused minorities don't have that much power. (There are a few cases where they do, but it is rare). They are, fairly consistently, the victims of others. With mutants, the reality that a single angry mutant could, potentially, destroy cities and kill millions of people is a factor that simply can't be wished away or separated from the question of how ordinary humans react to mutants.

This problem is particularly apparent in the X-Men movies, especially "First Class." In that film, a cabal of mutants literally manipulates the superpowers into a confrontation that almost ends in a hoped-for nuclear war that will kill the humans and create the conditions for more mutants. After that experience, Magneto's going on about how he hates and fears humans becomes almost unimaginably narcissistic. If he can't even perceive why humans' fears of (at least some) mutants are not justified, then he is not paying attention. This issue of powerful mutants pushing the entire world to the brink of destruction seems to come out even more strongly in the new movie, if the trailers are any indication.

My point here is not that all mutants should be discriminated against or treated as dangerous. It is, however, that the reality of mutant power makes the use of mutants as an analogy to almost any real-world group very difficult to sustain. The fact that some mutants can and have tried to destroy the world means that it is not unreasonable to treat all mutants - or at least those of a particular power level - as potential threats and to develop laws and rules around the use of their powers. This is not unreasonable and, indeed, quite logical.

I think that the X-Men metaphor could delve into these much more sophisticated interpretations of how ordinary humans co-exist with those they fear and the relationship of power to the powerless, but it would greatly complicate and even undermine the "minority discrimination" metaphor.

I think that the upcoming "Batman vs. Superman" movie actually touches on some of these issues, judging from the trailers and clips. From what we can tell, Batman decides that Superman is too dangerous to be allowed to run free - maybe even to live. He bases his conclusion on the fact that Superman has already fought one battle that has killed thousands and that he could destroy the entire human race if he wanted to do so. We know that Batman's reaction is based on fear and hate and he will, undoubtedly, come to realize that Superman can be trusted not to abuse his power. But, on the other hand, the fear is justified and understandable, based on actual events. I think that DC comics has dealt with this issue in a number of storylines that have placed the fear of normal humans of their superhuman protectors at the center. I think that this kind of approach makes more sense than the X-Men analogy.

I'm trying to think of a real-world example where the X-Men analogy works and the best I can come up with is the treatment of Muslims in the West after 9-11. The argument that a group of Muslims did commit a terrible act that killed thousands and that they should all, therefore, be mistrusted and treated as "enemies" comes close. The idea that a Muslim terrorist might do something similar in the future and that this justifies continued discrimination makes sense to some people. However, the reality is that most Muslim people are harmless and, of course, most lack the capability or intent to kill thousands of people. Even so, these are possibilities that can be guarded against by increased vigilance, limited security changes, etc. (I'm not going to get into the reality of the tens of thousands of Muslims the West has killed in retaliation, though it is not entirely irrelevant - Magneto, after all, is a terrorist who conducts his war as a retaliation and preemptive attack on those he sees as his oppressors). If most Muslims possessed genuinely dangerous abilities, the extent of what "reasonable response" would require would change. That is closer to the reality of mutants (and other superhuman beings) in the Marvel Universe.

So, in my view, while the analogy is interesting, it doesn't work that well. It requires ignoring or leaving out all of the overwhelming evidence that mutants (some/most) can be incredibly dangerous to ordinary humans (and each other).
    Last edited by ShaunN; 03-19-2016 at 06:28 AM.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I like that scene in UXM #200 ('The trial of Magneto') in which Kitty (who's short-sighted although she doesn't know it yet) is looking through the window and muttering for the demonstrators outside, since she takes for granted that they're protesting against mutants. Then someone with a sharper eye says that actually the placards claim in their favour instead. It's a very smart moment.

On the other hand, what I always miss in X-Men is a little bit more of solidarity towards another alienated minorities. They should know better...and act accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    I think the metaphor works fine for the most part. I think problem stems more from people thinking that a metaphor is more than what it is. By definition, a metaphor is an implied comparison based on some shared characteristics. Its not a one for one swap, and it is not meant to be interchangeable with an existing group. Just that it is similar (in a very superficial way) to some of what those groups may face. The X-Men metaphor is also general enough that one story can be a bit more relatable to a one group while another story my shift more towards another.

In the X-Men mutants are a persecuted minority, full stop. Its not Black/White or Gay/Straight or any other stand in and in general its not supposed to be, but using a metaphor allows for conversation on those issues without (for the most part) the baggage that comes with using an actual group. It also allows for people from marginalized groups someone to identify with and gives them a hook into the series.

[...]

Along those lines while I value the metaphor and wouldn't want to see it lost, not every story needs to be about it. Going back to Claremont, he wrote some amazing stories dealing with racial persecution but he also wrote space operas and ninja fighting underworld stories too so balance is needed. Not every story needs to be about mutants being hated and the comics in general would benefit from more "normal" people who weren't a bunch of racist bastards. That however is, in my opinion a weakness of the writers, not of the metaphor.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    X-Men works best when it has the social justice metaphor at the core, but also embraces the wholeness of a being. Even as an oppressed minority, you can still have wonder, still fall in love, still make art and find joyous moments. Its the interplay of those two extremes that allow people to enjoy them as a superhero concept that elevates itself beyond just punching bank robbers and getting kittens down from a tree. Since No More Mutants, they have been so focused on pure survival and moral degradation/infighting that it becomes laborsome to actually support them.
    And this.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    So, in my view, while the analogy is interesting, it doesn't work that well. It requires ignoring or leaving out all of the overwhelming evidence that mutants (some/most) can be incredibly dangerous to ordinary humans (and each other).
    Actual minorities haven't got superpowers. But many of them are pretty 'majority' minorities, and they keep growing. Therefore, mainstream fears them not because of their power, but because of their increasing number: people are afraid of contamination. This works exactly with mutants, since they're the next step in human evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, Trump wouldnt be that different from Senator Kelly.
    Trump would probably built the sentinels for the mutants and the muslims.