Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Goddess and she is one.
    That's how the African people worshiped her, as a Goddess and no, she is not one

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    It was confirmed in Storm's mini-series that tribe never really believed her to be a goddess, an old woman told Ororo to her face that they were just humoring her because they needed the rain.
    Exactly. Forgot to mention this.

BANNED

It was confirmed in Storm's mini-series that tribe never really believed her to be a goddess, an old woman told Ororo to her face that they were just humoring her because they needed the rain.
    I did not like that part of Storm's ongoing solo.

Pak's story was very disrespectful of pagan spirituality. He basically called the entire idea crazy. I would like to see how that would fly if he called all Christians 'crazy', or all Muslims, or Buddhists or capitalists, for that matter.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Is it left up to the reader why? Did they humor her because they could not believe in spirits? Did they humor her because she was not affiliated with a political power organized religion? Did they humor her because she was a woman?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    or capitalists
    My Religion ♥

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetoWasRight View Post
    That's how the African people worshiped her, as a Goddess and no, she is not one
    She has been a telepathic space whale, controls weather, been through a 2nd childhood. What else does she need on her curriculum?

She was and still is a goddess. All that word means is a female of great power or beauty that is worshipped.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I did not like that part of Storm's ongoing solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Is it left up to the reader why? Did they humor her because they could not believe in spirits? Did they humor her because she was not affiliated with a political power organized religion? Did they humor her because she was a woman?
    They were humoring her because the writers wanted to get away from the stereotype of "primitive" Africans worshipping a "civilized" foreigner they mistake for a deity because they are too ignorant to know better.

I'm no fan of retcons, but seriously, that trope should be killed with fire and forgotten. It was born in colonial times as a justification of sorts "look, they recognize us as superior and worship us, and that's the reason they obey us, and not at all because we shoot them in the face with our rifles"

And no, the fact that Ororo has black skin doesn't make it any better. She's still an American woman (born in Manhattan from an American father) getting worshipped by "primitives".

She was and still is a goddess. All that word means is a female of great power or beauty that is worshipped.
    She wasn't really worshipped. They only pretended to worship her. And in the Marvel Universe gods are a species or group of species (Olympians, Asgardians, Heliopolitans...etc.) with well-defined characteristics. They are powerful mystical beings, most of them descended from Gaia, who get their power and are shaped by human belief and faith. Storm isn't a member of that species, but a Homo Superior, and she gets her power from her mutant genetics, not from belief or faith.

Pak's story was very disrespectful of pagan spirituality. He basically called the entire idea crazy. I would like to see how that would fly if he called all Christians 'crazy', or all Muslims, or Buddhists or capitalists, for that matter.
    It was a crazy idea because Storm is a mortal woman, not a superior being. Yeah, she has powers, but in the MU people with powers are a dime a dozen.

And you know what is really disrespectful of pagan spirituality? Implying that it is about worshipping mortal people who trick you into believing that they are deities using sleigh-of-hand tricks.

Try to write a comic in which Jesus and Muhammad are mutants who lie about being prophets. Christians and Muslims will be furious.
    Last edited by Habis; 03-18-2016 at 03:00 AM.

When they prayed to Ororo, she brought the rain. Every time. And she didn't even take their offerings. Sounds like a pretty good deity to me! Looking for tricks, you will have to look to other deities....

As for your assertion that Storm was always a foreign Westerner, that is simply not true. Len Wein and Dave Cockrum intended for Ororo to be from there. It was Chris Claremont who later specified her American birth and Cairo upbringing. Len and Dave were even considering her being an immortal, but they certainly meant for her to be from there. And since that is the original depiction of her time as a goddess, that is the basic truth. Even under Claremont, though, he did have her mother from Kenya and that bloodline was a mystical one with priestesses going back to Ayesha, the first Sorcerss Supreme of Earth, a bloodline as old as humanity.

The specification of a goddess as a super natural immortal being is not a definitive trait. It can be used that way, but it is not always used that way.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I wonder when Ororo's gonna bring back her hammer.

BANNED

They were humoring her because the writers wanted to get away from the stereotype of "primitive" Africans worshipping a "civilized" foreigner they mistake for a deity because they are too ignorant to know better.
    I don't think the tribe were foolish worshiping Storm since they had undeniable evidence of her power. I think they were smart. Because here's what happened. They came across a person who could bring them a lot of good fortune. They treated that person right, gave offerings and got good things in return. They had a good deal between them.

If racist people read their racism into this and if extra sensitive pc brigade reads all people who might enjoy this story as racists, there's nothing anybody can do to exert thought control about it.

The trope is about people with little knowledge being taken advantage of through religion by people who should know better. That's not what Storm did at all.
    Last edited by DDD; 03-18-2016 at 10:04 AM.

Niffleheim

They are all crazy. Enjoying reading fantasy as a hobby is great but believing in it is something else entirely
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

BANNED

When they prayed to Ororo, she brought the rain. Every time. And she didn't even take their offerings. Sounds like a pretty good deity to me! Looking for tricks, you will have to look to other deities....

As for your assertion that Storm was always a foreign Westerner, that is simply not true. Len Wein and Dave Cockrum intended for Ororo to be from there. It was Chris Claremont who later specified her American birth and Cairo upbringing. Len and Dave were even considering her being an immortal, but they certainly meant for her to be from there. And since that is the original depiction of her time as a goddess, that is the basic truth. Even under Claremont, though, he did have her mother from Kenya and that bloodline was a mystical one with priestesses going back to Ayesha, the first Sorcerss Supreme of Earth, a bloodline as old as humanity.

The specification of a goddess as a super natural immortal being is not a definitive trait. It can be used that way, but it is not always used that way.
    I want her royal blood explored further.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    They are all crazy. Enjoying reading fantasy as a hobby is great but believing in it is something else entirely
    Believing in thousands of years old story books is crazy. Believing in a woman who brings rain when you ask her is not crazy in the slightest.