Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: International Iron Man, #1

Brian Michael Bendis' "International Iron Man" #1 is primarily a flashback to Tony Stark's college-age years, but it's Alex Maleev's art that's the selling point.

Full review here.

I can't remember this Cassandra ever in Iron Man. I suppose there's a link between her and the secret history of the Marvel Universe Victor Von Doom introduces to Tony, so she has to fit in there somewhere.

I am just so intrigued by the thought that something secret was going on all this time, and now, here is Cassandra with her new eye patch looking at Iron Man. Together with Avengers Standoff, (where a secret prison was making villains into waiters), this secret about where Tony's parents came from holds a lot of mystery surrounding how these things are going on? What did Franklin do when he made ANAD?
    Last edited by jackolover; 03-17-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Awful, crass Bendis at his worst. Cheap cracks about British food (which was a tired, redundant cliché even "twenty years ago", whenever that's supposed to be - characters are shown using smartphones in several panels), "soccer" hooliganism by means of providing supposed local flavour, and Bendis demonstrates staggering levels of American geoglobal ignorance by suggesting that Cambridge University is situated in London. As opposed to, you know, Cambridge. Another title it'll be easy to pass on by dint of the fact it's got Bendis' name on the cover.

Anyways I was a bit disappointed in the first issue. It wasn't what I had hoped. I had hoped for a more espionage driven title, but it looks like Bendis is churning out another attempt at RDJifying the character some more while Tony looks for his mommy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Psientist View Post
    Awful, crass Bendis at his worst. Cheap cracks about British food (which was a tired, redundant cliché even "twenty years ago", whenever that's supposed to be - characters are shown using smartphones in several panels), "soccer" hooliganism by means of providing supposed local flavour, and Bendis demonstrates staggering levels of American geoglobal ignorance by suggesting that Cambridge University is situated in London. As opposed to, you know, Cambridge. Another title it'll be easy to pass on by dint of the fact it's got Bendis' name on the cover.
    I can believe that Bendis has forgotten that smartphones didn't exist 20 years ago and doesn't know where Cambridge University is located, but, doesn't anybody else read this before (or while) it is sent to the artist, inked, colored and published?.

I guess this proves that Bendis is the Don of Marvel and he can do whatever he wishes with zero oversight. That, or Marvel no longer has editors (nobody edited Axis, Original Sin and Times Runs Out for certain...).

Quote Originally Posted by Habis View Post
    I guess this proves that Bendis is the Don of Marvel and he can do whatever he wishes with zero oversight. That, or Marvel no longer has editors (nobody edited Axis, Original Sin and Times Runs Out for certain...).
    I think you're probably right on both counts.

Bottom line, IIM is a bit of fluff entertainment. It's not like it's the first time actual facts have gone out of the window in the name of entertainment (JFK, U-571, The Patriot, etc.).
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-10-2016 at 04:06 PM.