Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

^ Found it. 75% isn't bad, given the number of people who have actually reviewed the season. I am surprised however, by how many rotten reviews season 2 has compared to season 1.

I stopped listening to critic opinions years ago, but I plan on reading these negative reviews to see what they didn't like about the second season and if they reviewed season 1.

Currently about halfway through my binge on this show. It's met and exceeded my expectations every step of the way. I just hope Marvel lets us skip the debate about whether there should be a Punisher series on Netflix. After the first four episodes of this season, I think that debate is over.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I'm still digesting the show, since I just finished watching now. I love the idea of binging, and I will always defend the Netflix model, but it does make it difficult to form an overall opinion. A systematic week-to-week viewing allows the brain to approach an opinion a lot more easily. That said, I loved the first half of the season -- did not necessarily love the last half. The middle episodes were really good, but I don't necessarily think they finished with a flourish in the final three.

The strengths of the season were definitely the additions. I found Punisher and Elektra to be very well done, from a character perspective. I feel like Bernthal probably deserves some Emmy consideration for his performance in the first four episodes. The rooftop/cemetery stuff was pretty stellar. I love dialog and love movies/shows/books with tons of it, so this show really scratches my itch for superhero media with rich, embellished dialog. Some may hate the exaggerated nature of it, but I love every syllable.

I thought the Blacksmith resolution was fairly anticlimactic and probably could've been connected to the Hand stuff for a more fully cooked arc for Frank. I'm not sure if I necessarily love the way Elektra's origin played out. I preferred the way it was initially presented and wasn't so sure I was all that enthusiastic when she was part of Stick's plan all along. I'm also not sure I even understand what Black Sky is. I know it's Elektra, but what does she/it do, exactly? I'm not so sure the show has done a great job folding in a lot of the mysticism. It still comes across a little awkwardly.

Other than that, I loved the DD/Elektra chemistry. The Matt/Karen/Foggy stuff was strong. I think these superhero shows always struggle with the non-powered supporting characters. It's a challenge to make their arcs compelling when people want to see the hero, not the mundane best friend or "regular" love interest. This show makes the supporting characters interesting, and even though I prefer Matt and Elektra, the show does a great job with Karen making sense as an option for Matt.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I really thought for a minute there that the guy Elektra was having a drink with at the airport was going to turn out to be Bullseye especially when he pulled out the sais. I ma glad they are waiting on him which means we will probably see him in season 3. As good as Netflix has done on pretty much all the marvel characters I can't wait to see their version of Bullseye so it can finally wash away that garbage version Colin Ferrell played in the Daredevil movie since I hated the jokey over the top cartoon version they made him there.

Question who's this Blacksmith guy is he from the comics? The only Blaquesmith I know is a time traveler who sometimes hang out with Cable.

Just finished and I loved it. Elektra and Punisher are obvious standouts. Both are such dangerous characters but in different ways, but I also think Cox deserves credit for play Matt with such conviction. When he takes a stand I want to listen even though I might not agree with what he's saying. After struggling with initial doubt in the first season it's good to see a hero who can still be vulnerable but ultimately move past the nagging self doubt to be a more confident hero.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    ^ Found it. 75% isn't bad, given the number of people who have actually reviewed the season. I am surprised however, by how many rotten reviews season 2 has compared to season 1.

I stopped listening to critic opinions years ago, but I plan on reading these negative reviews to see what they didn't like about the second season and if they reviewed season 1.
    For me, the last few episodes brought it down quite a few points. It's not BAD, it's still good. But boy did it limp to the finish line for me.

The critics may have thought this season was a slight step down from the phenomenal first season (it still has an overall positive response), but I liked it even better than the first. It did a great job of embracing the source material. As usual, they are spot on with their casting. I loved Jon Bernthal as the Punisher and Elodie Yung as Elektra.

On a sidenote, Daredevil's opening credits/theme has got to be one of my favorites of all time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    For me, the last few episodes brought it down quite a few points. It's not BAD, it's still good. But boy did it limp to the finish line for me.
    And I disagree. The Punisher plot does kind of limp to the finish line, with the whole Blacksmith plot point. But it still ends with Frank embracing who he really is. Which is ultimately the most important thing the season was trying to say. You can't hide from yourself. Elektra needs to accept that she's a ninja killing machine and still find someone to love her. Matt needs to admit to himself that he's DD at least in part for the thrill of it, the violence, etc. I thought the conclusion to season 2 was quite a bit more compelling than the end to season 1, at least in part because the important elements had time to breathe, rather than being thrown into high gear for a final showdown that was, to a degree, anticlimax.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Doesn't born again kick off with Karen selling out Murdock's identity? Given her present status in the show, i think you would need all of season three to tear her down and make her sell him out in the season finale to three and have 4 be Fisk royally screwing up Matt's existence.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

The problem is that season 1 ends with a series of bangs and season 2 fizzled out with a bad last few episodes and then the 'bang' was an anticlimax. I can see why a few people are a lot less impressed.

It's a shame though because episodes one through ten of season 2 are head and shoulders above season 1.

Another random pondering: how did they determine who gets credited during the opening credits? Stephen Rider (who plays Assistant District Attorney Tower) gets billing while other characters just as minor as him don't like Michelle Hurd (as District Attorney Reyes) and Royce Johnson (as Officer/Detective Mahoney). ADA Tower didn't feel like he was important enough to be included with other new or recurring characters like the Punisher, Elektra, Claire Temple, Stick, or Wilson Fisk.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Another random pondering: how did they determine who gets credited during the opening credits? Stephen Rider (who plays Assistant District Attorney Tower) gets billing while other characters just as minor as him don't like Michelle Hurd (as District Attorney Reyes) and Royce Johnson (as Officer/Detective Mahoney). ADA Tower didn't feel like he was important enough to be included with other new or recurring characters like the Punisher, Elektra, Claire Temple, Stick, or Wilson Fisk.
    Contract negotiations maybe?

Loved it! 10/10! I'm kinda sad I watched it all this weekend, and have no more episodes to watch, but I couldn't risk being spoiled...

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Question who's this Blacksmith guy is he from the comics? The only Blaquesmith I know is a time traveler who sometimes hang out with Cable.
    Ray Schoonover is from the comics
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_(comics)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I really thought for a minute there that the guy Elektra was having a drink with at the airport was going to turn out to be Bullseye especially when he pulled out the sais. I ma glad they are waiting on him which means we will probably see him in season 3. As good as Netflix has done on pretty much all the marvel characters I can't wait to see their version of Bullseye so it can finally wash away that garbage version Colin Ferrell played in the Daredevil movie since I hated the jokey over the top cartoon version they made him there.
    I think the guy in the airport may of been a version of Moon Knight's sidekick DuChamp