Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Moon Knight #1

There's a bad moon rising in the Marvel Universe. Prepare for a Moon Knight adventure unlike any you've ever seen before as blockbuster creators Jeff Lemire (Extraordinary X-Men) and Greg Smallwood (Moon Knight) take you deep into the recesses of Marc Spector's mind! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look inside MOON KNIGHT #1 - the brand-new ongoing series debuting in April!
    For years, Marc Spector has defended New York City as the masked vigilante Moon Knight. Calling upon the powers of the ancient Egyptian God Khonshu, he has kept the city safe from street gangs and supernatural forces alike. Or has he? Waking up in an insane asylum will shake anyone's confidence. But it can't be true, can it? His mind is full of identities and he no longer knows which is real. His thoughts are clouded and he has no idea what to believe. If he calls to Khonshu, he believes he will receive an answer. But is this a sign he still clings to his sanity, or has it slipped from him completely?
    Something is wrong with Marc Spector. Will Moon Knight be his salvation? Or will it ultimately be his undoing? Find out as Lemire and Smallwood take you on a head trip through the psyche of a super hero this April in MOON KNIGHT #1!

Full preview here.

BANNED

Hot damn, those are some beutiful pages! I'm getting a "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" vibe from it, and I like it!

Wow, this looks great. I may have to pick it up and give it a try.

Never really been a huge Moon Knight fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Hot damn, those are some beutiful pages! I'm getting a "One flew over the cuckoo's nest" vibe from it, and I like it!
    Interesting. It seemed ripped right from "12 Monkeys" to me. I'm sure they were both influences...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Interesting. It seemed ripped right from "12 Monkeys" to me. I'm sure they were both influences...
    Yeah, I thought about that as well. Still, Lemire stated that there's a reason the asylum looks so "cliche", and I'm eager to find out!

Ultimate Member

The art looks good -- do you have any recommendations on which Moon Knight runs I should read first?

There are three of them on Marvel Unlimited.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    The art looks good -- do you have any recommendations on which Moon Knight runs I should read first?

There are three of them on Marvel Unlimited.
    The first series by Moench. There's more emphasis on spirituality and religious themes with supernatural twists rather than straight-up superhero stuff. Sure, he takes on crooks and the like, but he doesn't really have arch-enemies and "villains of the month". There are a couple of "costumed" antagonists in there, but they're more like something out of a Hellblazer book for example (albeit a bit watered down).

The 2006 series. This is more like a Punisher book with costumes. It's violent, grim and gritty and doesn't pull any punches, especially the first arc. It doesn't really explore his psyche that much, as it portrays Khonshu as a bloodthirsty maniac and Marc as a "hard as nails" SOB, but it does what it sets out to do well. If you liked Ennis's Punisher stuff, try it.

The most recent series, and especially the first 6 issues by Ellis. His stories are one and done tales, but they're great in their minimalism. Wood's run tells a story, but it's more political than spiritual, mainly dealing with war. Bunn's issues are straight-up pulpy supernatural goodness.

I would also take a look at Marc Spector: Moon Knight. This blends the spiritual stories of the first run with the super-heroics of the 2006 one (albeit with less ripped-off faces and blood). Apart from these, there's the second run which is just 6 issues and is titled Moon Knight: Fist of Khonshu and Vengeance of the Moon Knight, both of which are alright. The first is a straight up Egyptian Gods story, and the other takes a more Batman-y approach, but it handles it well. Bendis's Moon Knight is an awful MK book, but I guess it's a mediocre comic in its own right. There are also some minis and whatnot, the most notable being High Strangers. Think of it as an X-Files tale. 'Twas damn good IMO.

Ultimate Member

The most recent series, and especially the first 6 issues by Ellis. His stories are one and done tales, but they're great in their minimalism. Wood's run tells a story, but it's more political than spiritual, mainly dealing with war. Bunn's issues are straight-up pulpy supernatural goodness.
    I'll probably start with these and work back since I know Ellis and Wood and I tend to like more modern artwork -- though I know that can be subjective. I'll skip around as needed -- if one arc isn't for me I'm sure I can find one that is in another book or series.

I like the concept of a superhero with a fractured psyche -- Shade The Changing Man pulled it off and the Batman Arkham games do a good job of it as well, especially Asylum, which I actually like more than the book it originated from.

The Scarecrow sequence from that game is why I think the videogame medium is perfect for a character like Moon Knight.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-18-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This looks interesting, but I haven't liked any of Lemire's MARVEL work. I've always found his non-superhero stuff to be far stronger.

I'm kind of looking forward to this regardless, though. I hope to be surprised!

Can't say I trust Lemire after his bland take on Hawkeye and the completely unoriginal "Extraordinary" X-men :/
    Art looks great, but I think I'll pass.

Didn't Ellis just fix the (usually) badly done psycho set up for Moon Knight? Guess if the public perceives your character as a Batman rip off at its core, why waste any originality on it. Pass.

Bring back Christopher Priest to work on Moon Knight--

Incredible Member

The art for this looks damn good and the story sounds interesting but i'm a little worried about the longevity of this volume seeing as how Ellis isnt kicking it off...Hopefully we get at least 12 issues.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Smallwood's first issue of the last volume, I really didn't like the layout. This looks absolutely gorgeous, though. I haven't been into Lemire as a superhero writer but hopefully I come around to his work here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve068 View Post
    Didn't Ellis just fix the (usually) badly done psycho set up for Moon Knight? Guess if the public perceives your character as a Batman rip off at its core, why waste any originality on it. Pass.
    Usually badly done? Not sure about what that means or includes. I think MK by Bendis is the only "psycho" (I'm really struggling to use that word because I don't think it sums up the concept) run that people disliked.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Only ever grabbed a handful of Moon Knight books but never really been hooked by the character. I'm a fan of Lemire and that art is great so may check this out.