Mighty Member

Default Spawn the animated series

Who else remembers watching this awesome adult animated horror fantasy crime thriller series on HBO in the 90s? i did when i was 15/16 when it first aired as i was excited for it being a Spawn fan since issue 1 and hearing about it the previous year in Wizard magazine and when i started to get on the net in 96 about an animated show for HBO and i was excited.

This show blew me away as it was well done and produced with nice animation by Madhouse animation in the second and third seasons. This had a nice solid cast and i knew the guys who did Gargoyles and Batman TAS did this show even in influence and one of the things that made adults like animation. This show reminds me of Heavy Metal, Hellraiser, CSI, Wicked City and Batman TAS/Gargoyles combined.

One of my favorite animated shows.

I used to watch it with my dad when I was a teenager. We both loved it.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Probably the best Spawn media there has been, including the comics :P

Wish theyd gotten that new series they teased years ago off the ground.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Probably the best Spawn media there has been, including the comics :P

Wish theyd gotten that new series they teased years ago off the ground.
    Agree man.

And who else thought Keith David was perfect for the voice of Spawn including Richard Dystart as Cogliostro? it's like a "Thing" reunion for those actors.

And when someone saw this show, who else noticed the guy who voiced Trevor Goodchild on MTV's Aeon Flux voiced Wynn? i noticed that voice too.

Absolutely brilliant and it hasn't dated at all. It's still engaging and affecting.

BANNED

I don't know which one your talking about OP. The Spawn animation I remember was this sick terrible animation. They had the hero with a hooker of some sort cheating on his wife ( before he died ). Then the old OMGSH the demonic clown doing things to innocent bland looking people. Seriously Spawn the animation attempted to gut wrench people into thinking it was as bad ( like Michael Jackson bad ) as possible in order to compete with Japanimation.

With all of the commercial stereotypes in it I was unable to enjoy it then and I doubt I would enjoy it now. I would have to go back and look it over again. Otherwise as with "Lady Of Death" it is a failure as an animation and played on the need for mature content.

I am not saying the animation or art style was bad at all. I am saying the story was not decent enough. Take the "Maxx" itself. It was far more likeable as a story and while it was up to the viewer/reader to decide which world was real. It also contained too much Political rubbish in order for it to be truly enjoyable.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
    I don't know which one your talking about OP. The Spawn animation I remember was this sick terrible animation. They had the hero with a hooker of some sort cheating on his wife ( before he died ). Then the old OMGSH the demonic clown doing things to innocent bland looking people. Seriously Spawn the animation attempted to gut wrench people into thinking it was as bad ( like Michael Jackson bad ) as possible in order to compete with Japanimation.

With all of the commercial stereotypes in it I was unable to enjoy it then and I doubt I would enjoy it now. I would have to go back and look it over again. Otherwise as with "Lady Of Death" it is a failure as an animation and played on the need for mature content.

I am not saying the animation or art style was bad at all. I am saying the story was not decent enough. Take the "Maxx" itself. It was far more likeable as a story and while it was up to the viewer/reader to decide which world was real. It also contained too much Political rubbish in order for it to be truly enjoyable.
    Do you think it was better than the movie?

Would you compare this to stuff like Felidae, Ninja Scroll, Urotsukidoji and Wicked City?
    Last edited by TomServofan; 03-26-2016 at 05:33 PM.