Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is the current X-Line-up the worst its ever been?

Like ok...Marvel isn't trying to kill the X-Men, but if they WERE, the current creative direction would be a great way to do it. There's never been a better time to NOT read the X-Men then right now. All-New Wolverine is aight, but besides that the current collection of x-books are completely tone deaf, monotonous, and ugly.

Like even in the much maligned 90s, they were at least INTERESTING! Rob Liefeld and Joe Mad were at least interesting! The things happening to the characters, I mean...you could talk about em!

There's absolutely nothing worth talking about in the current lineup of X-Books. If they're not worn out records repeating themselves, then they're ugly caricatures of previous ideas that have been done better. Its a sad state of affair for a franchise that used to be one of the biggest, coolest, most interesting in comic book pop culture.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Worst period was easily late 90s.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Magneto, Psylocke, M, Angel, Fantomex, Mystique, and Sabretooth is a top 15 X-Team with one of the best X writers in years

BANNED

Uncanny has the worst cast by far. Every time there is a "dark" lineup they roll out the exact same tedious "dark" cast.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Uncanny has the worst cast by far. Every time there is a "dark" lineup they roll out the exact same tedious "dark" cast.
    Good thing the dark lineups usually have the best of the X-Book writers then.

The lack of Cyke, Emma, Rogue, Beast and Kitty on any team makes me think they're not worth reading. Not to mention that the characters really seem to have gotten stupider in the EXM book (I'm looking at you Storm, and Sinister). It would've been a nice change of pace to see a more serious Iceman take the lead (it also helps that he's currently the strongest X-Men, and probably strongest mutant in general), but whatevs.

Hell, maybe Mags could've been the leader. It'd be nice to see a present time take on a sort of Age of X tone. With all the surviving psionics creating an epic force field that separated them from the world. It'd certainly make the build up to the inevitable Mutant vs Inhuman war way more interesting, if, seeing as Mags is always made right about their potential extinction, the mutants finally rallied behind him after Cyke's death.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 03-18-2016 at 04:16 PM.

BANNED

If I'd enjoy reading the exact same thing over and over, sure.

BANNED

From Axel-in-Charge it sounds like Emma, at least, will be resurfacing sometime around Civil War II (though not part of the event).

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Yes. This is the worst state the X-Men has been in. It combines a lot of the unpopular stuff of the past like Decimation and we have a ridiculous number of mia characters who are pretty popular.

I might buy an X-Men comic again when we get Cyclops, Emma and Rachel back as long as they're well written and not wallpaper.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Like ok...Marvel isn't trying to kill the X-Men, but if they WERE, the current creative direction would be a great way to do it. There's never been a better time to NOT read the X-Men then right now. All-New Wolverine is aight, but besides that the current collection of x-books are completely tone deaf, monotonous, and ugly.

Like even in the much maligned 90s, they were at least INTERESTING! Rob Liefeld and Joe Mad were at least interesting! The things happening to the characters, I mean...you could talk about em!

There's absolutely nothing worth talking about in the current lineup of X-Books. If they're not worn out records repeating themselves, then they're ugly caricatures of previous ideas that have been done better. Its a sad state of affair for a franchise that used to be one of the biggest, coolest, most interesting in comic book pop culture.
    That's your opinion.... it's not shared by everyone

I like UXM

EXM is awful

ANXM is ok

ANW is alright but I think UXM is much better than it actually
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I'd say it is the least impressive lineup in the history of the franchise, but I don't know if I'd say it is the worst. I mean I don't think All New or Extraordinary are good books, and I'm not that high on the other titles, but none of these books are horrifically bad or are competing for the worst run ever. So I can't call it the worst lineup just the least impressive. If that makes sense.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most people hating on the lineup are simply mad their fave character(s) aren't involved
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

One thing I am happy with is that they all feel like, and it's been like that for a long time now, team books again. Not a glorified Cyclops solo.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most people hating on the lineup are simply mad their fave character(s) aren't involved
    It's probably the writing, or stories, for 3 out of the 5 titles.

Writing can make even the best line-ups dull.

I don't think so. I'm enjoying both books, so far...

Pfft. This is hardly worst. It's not even bad. A lot of it just colored by the negative reaction to the status quo of the T-mist and the meta problems it presents and the fact that for all Bendis set up to do he accomplished, at best, 23% of what he set up, so it feels like we've been waiting extra long for stuff to happen, also taking into account the giant pause button that was Secret Wars.

It is just the frustration of being in set up mode again. If anything, the Franchise is just shaping itself again. We got three team books, with three different cast, and at least two of them have actual mission statements, which is a massive improvement to the amount of overlapping titles we had in Marvel Now.