Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Default YOUR perfect movies

Films so great they cannot be improved in your opinion. Not necessary your favourites (if that makes sense) or most watched, just the ones you guys think cannot be done better. Maybe not even if they were to remade at some point in the future. I'll go with

Crazy Heart- Jeff Bridges in a movie tailormade for him, acting AND singing, breaking your heart
    Brokeback Mountain- another drama, great landscapes, score, honest and heartbreaking
    Warrior- brother vs brother, family drama, fighting that puts everything else to shame (not a fan of wirework), great acting

2001, perhaps the most perfect movie ever.

I think The Departed is a perfect movie. Amazing pace, lots of great scenes brimming with energy and intensity, the performances are all absolutely amazing.

Collateral is definitely another. There is not a single scene I would cut out of that movie. Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx doing stellar work. The cinematography, the action, the perpetual haze that seems to fill Los Angeles...everything is perfect about this movie.

Jaws. Steven Spielberg has made a lot of amazing movies, but I think Jaws is his best and most perfect.

Shawshank Redemption. I honestly do not like movies about or set in prison. I still do not like any other movies about prison, but this one: WOW. What a great and perfect movie.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Minority Report, Melancholia, Walkabout, Yi Yi, Poupoupidou, Enter the Void, Drive, Lost in Translation, The Man From Nowhere, Magnolia, the Graduate

I really could go on forever.

Incredible Member

Legends of the Fall
    A Few Good Men
    Dolores Claiborne
    Rocky II
    V for Vendetta
    Highlander (the original, and no more were necessary)

LORD OF THE RINGS for the win! :D

Kieran Frost's "TOP 10" Favourite Films
    http://community.comicbookresources....lms-quot/page7
    1. THE LORD OF THE RINGS (2001 - 2003)
    2. the Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    3. Apocalypse Now! (1979)
    4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
    5. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
    6. Blade Runner (1982)
    7. C’era una volta il West (1968)
    8. the Third Man (1949)
    9. BEN-HUR (1959)
    10. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (2001)

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Incredible Member

Some of these are my fav's, some are just movies that are perfect regardless

Once Upon A Time in the West
    BladeRunner
    12 Years A Slave
    Drive
    Terminator
    Empire Strikes Back
    Nashville
    7 Samurai
    Citizen Kane
    Contempt
    Persona

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof is my all-time favourite movie, I love it so much. The Kill Bill movies are a close second.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Back to the Future

That is all.

Retired

One movie that I thought was perfect from its opening shot was EMMA directed by Douglas McGrath. Mind you, Gwyneth Paltrow was in the title role and as time goes by she becomes harder to take--but at that point in time she wasn't so unctuous. And Emma is not supposed to be so lovable anyway (she's lacking in self-understanding).

It opens with a shot of a globe that Emma has made, but all the globe shows is her England. And I think that's a wonderful visual way to show the world of Jane Austen--contained to just those dimensions, but for Austen that was the entire world and so it is for her characters. And the movie works from that shot forward, showing that world and the rules that govern it. There's nothing in the movie that doesn't belong there--it's perfectly ordered and executed.

It might not be a great achievement in cinema but it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

scarface i would say

Inception, Die Hard and probably Terminator 2 and Fight Club.
    Older movies would include Maltese Falcon, Magnificent Seven and Lawrence of Arabia at least until they take Aqaba.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Films so great they cannot be improved in your opinion. Not necessary your favourites (if that makes sense) or most watched, just the ones you guys think cannot be done better. Maybe not even if they were to remade at some point in the future. I'll go with

Crazy Heart- Jeff Bridges in a movie tailormade for him, acting AND singing, breaking your heart
    Brokeback Mountain- another drama, great landscapes, score, honest and heartbreaking
    Warrior- brother vs brother, family drama, fighting that puts everything else to shame (not a fan of wirework), great acting
    Crazy Heart is pretty funny. Even on a conceptual level it's funny, it's all about the country music lifestyle killing this guy. It's like the country version of The Wrestler with mirrors of The Big Lebowski mixed in there. I wouldn't say it's in the top ten of that year, but it's part of why 2009 is the best year for movies since at least the 2000s.

Warrior is pretty great. It's a chick flick for men, it's very clearly emotionally manipulative, but I don't care because it's such a great ride.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    2001, perhaps the most perfect movie ever.
    Besides the ending. That Doctor Who opening stargate sequence did not need to go on for damn near ten minutes. It was also later done better in Star Trek The Motion Picture and Enter the Void.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof is my all-time favourite movie, I love it so much. The Kill Bill movies are a close second.
    There's a lot of things I would change about Death Proof. Just on top of my head I would cut the diner dialogue with the girls, most excruciating thing I've ever witnessed on the big screen ever. And I would have my man Kurt Russel winning in the end.

Brokeback Mountain: I would have two indian girls instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post
    Minority Report, Melancholia, Walkabout, Yi Yi, Poupoupidou, Enter the Void, Drive, Lost in Translation, The Man From Nowhere, Magnolia, the Graduate

I really could go on forever.
    I absolutely love that movie and wish Won Bin could do more.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider