Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Being a big fan of comedies and films that didn't take themselves too seriously,some of my most memorable ones include

Midnight Run
    Planes,Trains and Automobiles
    Kingpin
    The Men who stared at Goats
    Pain and Gain
    Kung Fu Hustle
    Tremors

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Kingpin
    Tremors
    Great Choices, Mr. Ashcroft!

BANNED

Gladiator
    True Lies
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (almost forgot about this one)
    Last edited by Rogue Star; 04-15-2016 at 11:00 PM.

Jackie Brown

Eastern Promises

BANNED

L.A. Confidential

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I LOVE this idea!!! such a great way to really depict someone's tastes and enjoyments. I#ve put in bold the ones on your list I really, REALLY want to see!!! Which one would you recommend (above all the others) as a "must go find and watch NOW!!!".

2015 - the Martian
    2014 - Birdman; or (the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
    2013 - Gravity
    2012 - Life of Pi
    2011 - Tyrannosaur
    2010 - the Social Network
    2009 - Fantastic Mr. Fox
    2008 - In Bruges
    2007 - There Will Be Blood
    2006 - Little Miss Sunshine
    2005 - Brokeback Mountain
    2004 - un Long dimanche de fiançailles ~ A Very Long Engagement ~
    2003 - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: the Return of the King
    2002 - Chicago
    2001 - THE LORD OF THE RINGS: the Fellowship of the Ring
    2000 - Wo hu cang long ~ Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ~
    1999 - American Beauty
    1998 - Shakespeare in Love
    1997 - the Full Monty
    1996 - Fargo
    1995 - Se7en
    1994 - Four Weddings and a Funeral
    1993 - Short Cuts
    1992 - Unforgiven
    1991 - the Silence of the Lambs (SNAP!!!)
    1990 - Misery
    1989 - sex, lies and videotape
    1988 - Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios ~ Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown ~
    1987 - Full Metal Jacket
    1986 - der Name der Rose ~ the Name of the Rose ~
    1985 - the Color Purple
    1984 - the Terminator
    1983 - Educating Rita
    1982 - Blade Runner
    1981 - Raiders of the Lost Ark (SNAP!!!)
    1980 - Star Wars - Episode V: the Empire Strikes Back
    1979 - Apocalypse Now!
    1978 - la Cage aux Folles
    1977 - Close Encounter of the Third Kind
    1076 - Network
    1975 - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    1974 - Chinatown
    1973 - the Exorcist (SNAP!!!)
    1972 - Cabaret
    1971 - the Devils
    1970 - M*A*S*H*
    1969 - They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
    1968 - C’era una volta il West ~ Once Upon A Time in the West ~
    1967 - In the Heat of the Night
    1966 - Andrei Rublev
    1965 - Campanadas a medianoche ~ Chimes at Midnight ~
    1964 - My Fair Lady
    1963 - From Russia with Love
    1962 - To Kill A Mockingbird
    1961 - the Hustler
    1960 - Psycho
    1959 - BEN-HUR
    1958 - Touch of Evil
    1957 - 12 angry men
    1956 - le ballon rouge ~ the Red Balloon ~
    1955 - the Ladykillers
    1954 - Shichinin no samurai ~ Seven Samurai ~
    1953 - Stalag 17
    1952 - Singin' in the Rain (SNAP!!!)
    1951 - the African Queen
    1950 - All About Eve
    1949 - the Third Man
    1948 - the Treasure of the Sierra Madre (SNAP!!!)
    1947 - Black Narcissus (SNAP!!!)
    1946 - la Belle et la Bête ~ Beauty and the Beast ~
    1945 - Brief Encounter
    1944 - Double Indemnity
    1943 - the Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (SNAP!!!)
    1942 - Mrs Miniver
    1941 - the Maltese Falcon
    1940 - Rebecca
    1939 - Gone With the Wind
    Didn't you really not like Tyrannosaur like a few years ago? I could have sworn that was you I was talking to about that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    L.A. Confidential
    Man, I love that movie to death. After reading the novel (twice)... the book is so much more nuanced and interesting, the characters more developed, the movie isn't perfect for me but still great. But what do I know? I'm the only guy who liked Black Dahlia.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Man, I love that movie to death. After reading the novel (twice)... the book is so much more nuanced and interesting, the characters more developed, the movie isn't perfect for me but still great. But what do I know? I'm the only guy who liked Black Dahlia.
    I think the movie did as well with the material as it could, there is nothing about it I do not like, and its strength lies in the

I enjoyed Black Dahlia, I understand its noir but they really went DARK on that one

Singing in the Rain
    Schindler's list
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Empire Strikes Back
    Rain Man
    Back to the Future
    Collateral
    Toy Story 1-3
    Sleeping Beauty
    Coming to America
    Third Man
    Gilda

I was about the add in The Right Stuff but there are some tweaks I would have changed.

Quiz Show: it says something about America, (more than one thing actually) then as well as now, is a great character piece, and almost every scene has at least two things going on and I love movies where the characters are not saying what they're thinking, but the film has done a good enough job that you still know what they're thinking.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy... for almost the same reason, but you don't find out until the end.

Die Hard

Muppet's A Christmas Carol: Michael Caine never seems like he's acting with puppets and the Tiny Tim scenes make me cry every time.

Ikiru. I might say Seven Samurai, but one Kurosawa film to be fair.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Retired

I recently bought a DVD of THE COURT JESTER online, because I watch it so often--I thought I should pay for a proper version of the movie, instead of just watching it on the internet all the time. Turns out my DVD will only play in region 2. I can reset my computer for region 2--but only so many times and I have to switch it back to region 4 to play my other DVDs. So my efforts to do the right thing and buy an official DVD turned out to be a big mistake.

I miss the days when you could go in a brick and mortar store and buy DVDs from a wide selection. There were stores in my town that had a very huge selection of DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Quiz Show: it says something about America, (more than one thing actually) then as well as now, is a great character piece, and almost every scene has at least two things going on and I love movies where the characters are not saying what they're thinking, but the film has done a good enough job that you still know what they're thinking.
    Yep, that's great! Movies often need to slow down and get the characters more time to shine instead of an breathless onslaught. Right now I think of Conan (1981) but there are better flicks around but brain is still sleepyaawwwn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I recently bought a DVD of THE COURT JESTER online, because I watch it so often--I thought I should pay for a proper version of the movie, instead of just watching it on the internet all the time. Turns out my DVD will only play in region 2. I can reset my computer for region 2--but only so many times and I have to switch it back to region 4 to play my other DVDs. So my efforts to do the right thing and buy an official DVD turned out to be a big mistake.

I miss the days when you could go in a brick and mortar store and buy DVDs from a wide selection. There were stores in my town that had a very huge selection of DVDs.
    Where the heck is Region 4 (yeah, I could google that I guess)? Region 1 would be North America, Region 2 (Europe) is where I'm based but 4? Australia?
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 05-05-2016 at 11:55 PM.

[from Kieran Frost's "100 GREATEST MOVIES" thread]
    http://community.comicbookresources....482#post366482
    QUIZ SHOW (1994) [nom.]
    dir. Robert Redford [nom.]
    writer. adapted from the memoir Remembering America by Richard Goodwin [nom.]
    Starring: Ralph Fiennes, Rob Morrow, John Turturro, Paul Scofield [nom.], Hank Azaria and Martin Scorcese

TAG-LINE: "Fifty million people watched, but no-one saw a thing."

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: a young Congressional lawyer "Dick" Goodwin (Morrow) explores the "rigged quiz" allegations surrounding the popular American quiz show Twenty One; in particular it's star contestant, Columbia prof. Charles van Doren (Fiennes)

THOUGHTS: I'm honestly tempted to bump out All the President's Men (1976) and put this film in my "Top 100" instead. I never thought I'd find this film so wonderful; but it was beautifully played. There is so much going on (around a relatively simple plot), motivation becomes everything, character is all. Firstly, let's just talk about Paul Scofield. MY GOD! This role, in most actors hands, would be fine but nothing special. He doesn't have any profoundly moving speech or any great breakdown. In many ways it could be entirely forgettable. But Scofield imbues the character with such rich purpose, feelings, ideas and warmth... every scene with him is an absolute joy (and for my money he should have won the Oscar over Martin Landau for Ed Wood (1994)). But to be fair the entire cast is wonderful. I love the sexual tension between van Doren and Goodwin, giving possible motive to why Goodwin is so enraptured with van Doren. Is it lust? Is it jealousy? Is it self loathing? The issue of antisemitism is beautifully played, as is the revenge. His rise was partly due to unsaid or unrealised antisemitism and several of the characters want to punish van Doren for it (specifically punish van Doren, not the men truly behind it), despite the fact van Doren himself wasn't part of it. I'm not explaining it well, it's far more complex than that. Honestly, I have no complaints. It's a perfectly paced, wonderfully acted, gripping character exploration, with issues of society underlining the seemingly "harmless" scandal.

OVERALL
    A completely engrossing, complex "uncover a scandal" plot; with obvious echoes of Redford's most famous "scandal" film All the President's Men. It leaves nothing as simple; from undertones of antisemitism, revenge and latent homosexuality, everything is (ironically) built upon what is not said. Paul Scofield is effortlessly brilliant, and the entire cast shine. Honestly, it's faultless.
    ~ rating: 5 out of 5 [grade: A+]

Ikiru. I might say Seven Samurai, but one Kurosawa film to be fair.
    LOVE Kurosawa, still need to see this one. Might try and catch it this weekend; you've inspire me.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Didn't you really not like Tyrannosaur like a few years ago? I could have sworn that was you I was talking to about that movie.
    Nope, not me.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-06-2016 at 05:50 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post

Where the heck is Region 4 (yeah, I could google that I guess)? Region 1 would be North America, Region 2 (Europe) is where I'm based but 4? Australia?
    I'm probably just not remembering the number correctly.

Wolf of Wall Street- hillarious and tons of fun, there's more humor to be found than in most comedies, love it