Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    This is at the heart of my beef with Tim. Is his character so weak that it constantly has to be boosted at the expense of another character? Why does Editorial/Didio love Tim Drake so much that every other character (even Batman himself) must be compared unfavorably to him? I liked the character when he first appeared, but after so much "Claremontization", I try to avoid him and refrain from purchasing any appearance he makes--if possible. He's become the Kitty Pryde of the Bat-Family. I thought it was cool that Tim wasn't an orphan, had parents so he had to sneak out to be Robin, didn't plan on staying Robin forever; okay, he was smart, fine--but now he's like Reed Richards.
    So the take away from this issue is that Gordon's trial was really just set up as a distraction, no one expects him to actually be convicted, Tim is better than Oracle ever was, Batgirl is weak, Batman trusts Jason, and Bard is going to save the day. Oh, and I enjoyed every page.

The art was great, the "Bluebird" sticker on Harper's laptop was subtle. I still miss Tim's cowl though. The story flowed well, but this act of keeping all the balls in the air can get tiring. It wouldn't work in a monthly. Adding James Jr. seems unnecessary but I'm willing to go along and see where it's going.

The thing that really struck me about this and went unsaid was that with, Dick "dead", Lex extorting him, Gordon monopolizing the news cycle, and Julia living under the same roof as Bruce and Tim this would be the perfect time for Batman to go public.

Astonishing Member

I won't say I predicted the cliffhanger, but I've been wondering for a while now where the heck Junior is.

Loved it.

Another great piece added to the tapestry.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Ultimate Member

This is at the heart of my beef with Tim. Is his character so weak that it constantly has to be boosted at the expense of another character? Why does Editorial/Didio love Tim Drake so much that every other character (even Batman himself) must be compared unfavorably to him? I liked the character when he first appeared, but after so much "Claremontization", I try to avoid him and refrain from purchasing any appearance he makes--if possible. He's become the Kitty Pryde of the Bat-Family. I thought it was cool that Tim wasn't an orphan, had parents so he had to sneak out to be Robin, didn't plan on staying Robin forever; okay, he was smart, fine--but now he's like Reed Richards.
    You think that Didio and co love Tim, that's really funny. Because they've pretty much been tearing him down from day 1 of the New 52. This is the first time in years that he's been portrayed well.

Yeah I'm not sure how James Jr is any kind of a twist either, he's ben running around in other books and was bound to pop up in any story with the Commish at its core.

In fact this issue probably puts Suicide Squad vol.4 Discipline and Punish (20-23) firmly onto the Eternal Reading List, alongside Incorporated and Black Mirror. If there's still anyone out there who never got into this, you're missing the creepiest, smartest, cutest Harley Quinn ever written, James at his psychopathic best and Deadshot and co just being generally awesome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    You think that Didio and co love Tim, that's really funny. Because they've pretty much been tearing him down from day 1 of the New 52. This is the first time in years that he's been portrayed well.
    I think Tim has been treated wonderfully in the New 52. It should have been him instead of Dick captured by the Crime Syndicate and treated like a punching bag and unmasked. Then we would have been treated to a funeral/requiem that would've made Damian's look like a happy drunken wake. AND it would have mattered to Bruce whether he died or not; he wouldn't have just stood around and done nothing while Luthor did all the heavy lifting if it had been Tim in the murder machine.

I liked the art last week as it worked for the story of that issue, but I loved this weeks art as it went perfect with this weeks issue was more in line with the main story. Really enjoyed Harpers scenes and can't wait until be get to see her as blue bird.

I think Tim has been treated wonderfully in the New 52. It should have been him instead of Dick captured by the Crime Syndicate and treated like a punching bag and unmasked. Then we would have been treated to a funeral/requiem that would've made Damian's look like a happy drunken wake. AND it would have mattered to Bruce whether he died or not; he wouldn't have just stood around and done nothing while Luthor did all the heavy lifting if it had been Tim in the murder machine.
    Tim has been treated wonderfully by the machine that is DC, but his story has read like it's been written by a horny teenager for his high school creative writing class. The treatment is good (for Tim, not so much for Dick, or Babs), but the writing was horrendous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    Tim has been treated wonderfully by the machine that is DC, but his story has read like it's been written by a horny teenager for his high school creative writing class. The treatment is good (for Tim, not so much for Dick, or Babs), but the writing was horrendous.
    You have summed it up exactly.

Astonishing Member

That seems to be the trend for writers that like Tim. That's why i haven't been able to stand the character for 10 years now. I dunno, I liked Dixon's run growing up because he wasn't a super-genius, but basically Peter Parker who had a detective ability instead of spider web abilities.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Ummmm, exactly and well said

This issue should have came out in the father's day week, it would have been brilliant.
    “I am vulnerable. Starved for kindness, and when I receive it, I lose my mind.”
    — Marjorie Liu, Tiger Eye

“When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

MY CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cheshire1501

Astonishing Member

Tim's always an odd sell. After Dixon, I feel like the only writer who did Tim justice was probably Fabian in the latter-half Red Robin. The Chris Yost stuff was decent-to-okay, but I guess in hindsight has the disadvantage of art I didn't like.

I love the kid. He was definitely "my Robin" in a way - I mean I can tell he's "My Generation's Robin" even if 90% of my DC love came from Grayson in pop culture or otherwise. But definitely a tough nut to crack. Even some of Dixon's stuff got a little after-school specially ... or sometimes preachy. Then other writers would go too far in the opposite direction, the 90s Generation X "screw you old people" stuff, in and including Young Justice. Morrison writes a good Tim, but he didn't spend much time with the kid because he wasn't central to the story Grant was telling - he was Robin, but Grant's the one that brought in a little usurper Robin, forced Tim to graduate, and even though his moments in Incorporated were some of his strongest moments in recent years, they're part of an ensemble, and nowhere near a leading man.

Tynion's doing good work. If they'd just give him a frigging amazing new costume I think we'd be back on track. Perhaps after Futures End month they'll take a minute to do some costume revamps.

Or perhaps Rocafort will just do whatever he wants and streamline the thing.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

Ah, gotta re-read that Kot/Kircher Suicide Squad. Short but too sweet.

I mean the big monster is actually composed of a squad of suicides.

If Waller had been plus-sized it'd be the best four-issue run of SS ever.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    It's better for Dr. Seuss.

If they wanted a Burnham style, should have gotten Burnham.

But "Terrible" is also an incorrect way to describe it.

"Everything I don't like sucks" is how a child thinks.
    It`s just sarcasm from my part. A play at the expense of #11 and the issue regarding who liked the artwork and who didn`t. I haven`t gotten to read it yet, but I enjoy knowing the interaction between Jason and Bads is going well.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 06-26-2014 at 01:30 PM.