Default Question About Mera

In an issue of Bunn's run on Aquaman, Mera's sister Hila, mentions she and Mera were trained by the sorcerers of Xebel. That's the issue where Hila morphed into Mera and well you know the rest. Anyway, this got me curious about some of Mera's powers. Is her water manipulation the result of sorcery or is something she was born with? Can she do other magic tricks like Hila?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In an issue of Bunn's run on Aquaman, Mera's sister Hila, mentions she and Mera were trained by the sorcerers of Xebel. That's the issue where Hila morphed into Mera and well you know the rest. Anyway, this got me curious about some of Mera's powers. Is her water manipulation the result of sorcery or is something she was born with? Can she do other magic tricks like Hila?
    Good question.
    It's a possibility, I guess.

BANNED

I don't remember Siren doing anything magical unless your talking about the shape-shifting thing which was Thule magic being used to make her look like Mera.

Her Hydrokinesis is something genetic I think I'd rather it just be liquid manipulation but it's something her father trained her to do. He also trained Nereus.

I think Young Justice used the explanation that Mera's hydrokinesis was a kind of Atlantean magic, the same kind of magic that Kaldur and Garth were skilled in, but generally I think it's just a natural power she has in the same way Arthur has his telepathy, strength, and durability.

BANNED

I always took it as a hereditary/national thing from Xebel, where you had to be born with the capabilities (and the talent was only in the Xebel gene pool) and that you had to be trained in it (and since Xebel was the only place it manifested, you had to track down a Xebelian Sorceror (of which Mera was the only one we knew about for a while). It remains to be seen if Atlanteans (like Garth for example) are capable of learning the water magic too, and just needed the knowledge that was sealed in the Triangle for so long.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's a hereditary thing from Xebel. Jeff Parker's run said as much, but there is SOME degree of magic involved, since if you marry into Mera's line, you also get the power. Though since Parker's run also established Atlantis as a kind of organism, Xebel might be a similar case.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force