View Poll Results: What comic genres do you want to see more comics of?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comedy/Parody

6 27.27%
  • Drama

2 9.09%
  • One-Shot

4 18.18%
  • Romance

4 18.18%
  • Kids

2 9.09%
  • Slice of Life

2 9.09%
  • Mystery

13 59.09%
  • School

0 0%
  • Supernatural

7 31.82%
  • Military

4 18.18%
  • Villain's Perspective

4 18.18%
  • Video Game

1 4.55%
  • Sci-Fi

8 36.36%
  • Sports

2 9.09%
  • Fantasy

9 40.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yeah that would be another cool thing. It hink there is one called Shokugeki no Soma or something, and it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    How about a golf comic? I think the writer of Lone Wolf and Cub had a golf manga at one point.
    Not sure how well that would translate or how much interest there would be in a less kinetic sport like golf, but I have no doubt it can be done. Over at the Image forum there've been several mentions of people getting into American Football thanks to Southern Bastards - despite no previous interest. Surely that could be done with golf too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Why don't they try a cooking comic, maybe based on Master Chef TV series or something.
    There are lot of cooking manga such as Yakitate Japan, Iron Wok Jan, Bambino, A Delicious Relationship, Addicted to Curry, Chūka Ichiban!, Dungeon Meshi
    I think Oni Press published the entirety of James Stokoe's "Wonton Soup" for a relatively western example. But that still leans heavily on manga influences.

to anyone who voted for comedy and parody -- please read kaptara and public relations!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I'm with Prof. Bazinga and Pen&Paper: more straight-forward westerns. And jungle adventures.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I voted for...
    Comedy, Drama, Mystery, Supernatural, Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

Also... Comedy-Drama, Pulp/Noir, Young Adult Adventure.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I'm with Prof. Bazinga and Pen&Paper: more straight-forward westerns. And jungle adventures.
    Westerns are interesting, I loved the deadlands rpg setting but more straightforward ones with gunslinging and cowboys would be cool. Jungle adventures in the vein of Indiana jones would be neat

Most of the jungle adventures from the early 1940's to the late 1960's were set in Africa.

Now the post-colonial Africa has become the birthplace of AIDS, Ebola and other nasty viruses, and also has wars, civil wars, coups d'etat, corruption, high crime rate, poverty, starvation, famine and pestilence run rampant.

Lee Falk's Phantom is still in circulation, isn't it?
    Yeah, to do jungle adventures or comics set in Africa it would be better to set them in the early or mid 1900s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I voted for...
    Comedy, Drama, Mystery, Supernatural, Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

Also... Comedy-Drama, Pulp/Noir, Young Adult Adventure.
    I love the idea of mixing pulp and noir. By young adult adventure do you mean adventure with teenagers or do you mean adventure for that demographic?

Now the post-colonial Africa has become the birthplace of AIDS, Ebola and other nasty viruses, and also has wars, civil wars, coups d'etat, corruption, high crime rate, poverty, starvation, famine and pestilence run rampant.
    Kinda depends on the angle of the story though; if you only focus on these negatives it might not work. But that's not an accurate representation of the entire continent though. 7 of the world's 10 fastest growing economies are in Africa right now. Think how advanced South Africa looked in Age of Ultron. Plus comics can be fantastical so you don't have to get swept up in the negative press the continent mainly seems to get. A comic like No Mercy (at Image) has taken a modern jungle story approach and it works pretty well.

Also found these two cool looking Africa-based comics in the Kickstarter thread:

Kariba
    looks gorgeous, a lot of adventure, action with crocodiles etc.

Is'nana the Were-Spider
    looks a lot darker in terms of tone, but is based on a West-African (I think?) folk tale character.

I voted Villain's Perspective , It seems like the idea was burned out. But I would like to see a more Story Driven "Crossed" type comic centered around a Villain in the same vein as " The Darkness".

Quote Originally Posted by Masters of Pen and Paper View Post
    Westerns are interesting, I loved the deadlands rpg setting but more straightforward ones with gunslinging and cowboys would be cool. Jungle adventures in the vein of Indiana jones would be neat

Yeah, to do jungle adventures or comics set in Africa it would be better to set them in the early or mid 1900s.

I love the idea of mixing pulp and noir. By young adult adventure do you mean adventure with teenagers or do you mean adventure for that demographic?
    Both.
    Mostly adventure with late teens or twenty-somethings for the young adult demographic. And if it's good, it'll have crossover appeal to other demographics.
    I'd say somewhere between the Middle Grade stuff like Lumberjanes or Gotham Academy and the more mature New Adult stuff like DC's main superhero line.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I would love a book set in a world like LOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    "Mystery" and "Military" are two that clicked with me. But I'd also see more Pulp-style / Golden Age-style books that bring back characters from the 1940s.
    Agreed. I'd love to see more mystery stories. Even a few classic private eye stories would be great.