View Poll Results: What comic genres do you want to see more comics of?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comedy/Parody

6 27.27%
  • Drama

2 9.09%
  • One-Shot

4 18.18%
  • Romance

4 18.18%
  • Kids

2 9.09%
  • Slice of Life

2 9.09%
  • Mystery

13 59.09%
  • School

0 0%
  • Supernatural

7 31.82%
  • Military

4 18.18%
  • Villain's Perspective

4 18.18%
  • Video Game

1 4.55%
  • Sci-Fi

8 36.36%
  • Sports

2 9.09%
  • Fantasy

9 40.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question: What genres of comics would you want more of?

As many of you here probably know, in Japan, manga is a large part of their culture. People of all ages and of all tastes read it. However, in the western world (US & Canada), the comic industry doesn't have nearly as much influence. A few of my friends and I are wondering what you think you would want more comics of. Our hope is that we can get more people interested in comics and that comics will attract a much broader audience. You can pick as many of the options as you like, but please only pick the ones that you would actually want to see.

EDIT: You can comment with a genre not listed too, as there are only 15 options allowed for polls on this website.
    Last edited by Masters of Pen and Paper; 03-21-2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Spelling Mistake

I mean, the more variety the better really.
    That said, id like to see more books from the bigger publishers aimed at kids. Gotta hook em while theyre young! :P

"Mystery" and "Military" are two that clicked with me. But I'd also see more Pulp-style / Golden Age-style books that bring back characters from the 1940s.

Voted for romance and sports, since they're relatively scarce in western comics. There's a Japanese volleyball series that's super popular apparantly, and I remember when Marvel were after the manga audience they ran this not-bad-at-all-awful tennis series called 15-Love. Romance is also kinda lacking, though the Archie revival and Fresh Romance going to Oni may help in that regard.

I mean, the more variety the better really.
    That said, id like to see more books from the bigger publishers aimed at kids. Gotta hook em while theyre young! :P
    I agree with that statement. Do you have a specific preference when it comes to comic book genres for kids (aside from superhero)?

"Mystery" and "Military" are two that clicked with me. But I'd also see more Pulp-style / Golden Age-style books that bring back characters from the 1940s.
    Pulp-style comic books would be awesome. Especially ones like Indiana Jones, with lots of adventure.

Voted for romance and sports, since they're relatively scarce in western comics. There's a Japanese volleyball series that's super popular apparantly, and I remember when Marvel were after the manga audience they ran this not-bad-at-all-awful tennis series called 15-Love. Romance is also kinda lacking, though the Archie revival and Fresh Romance going to Oni may help in that regard.
    I think the volleyball series is called "Haikyuu!" and I heard it has a good anime also. Sports are definitely underused, and it could help get some of the "jocks" into the hobby of collecting comic books. Romance is also another one that could help get another demographic hooked.

Hmm. No "Western" choice.
    That would be mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Bazinga's C-Men View Post
    Hmm. No "Western" choice.
    That would be mine.
    There are limited options for the polls, but western is another one I want to do at some point.

A revived Harvey Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    A revived Harvey Comics!
    Yeah, with a "New" Archie spin.
    Richie is a dotcom heir, Dollar is a pitbull, Wendy sacrifices hamsters to Hot Stuff, Little Dot has herpes, Little Lotta is anorexic, and Jackie Jokers dies of a speedball mix in Vegas after a failed comeback.
    I jest, but seriously, these characters shouldn't be forgotten. I'd be interested in a modern reboot.

As a parent, I'd like to second the comments about books that are appealing and accessible to kids.

I have a 9-year-old son, and it's always a bit of an adventure to take him to the LCS to find things that he can really get into. As for genres that appeal to kids, I think that they can be all over the map just like adults can be. It really comes down to the interests of the child. There is some good material being done at the moment; but it might be nice to see it more widespread.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    As a parent, I'd like to second the comments about books that are appealing and accessible to kids.

I have a 9-year-old son, and it's always a bit of an adventure to take him to the LCS to find things that he can really get into. As for genres that appeal to kids, I think that they can be all over the map just like adults can be. It really comes down to the interests of the child. There is some good material being done at the moment; but it might be nice to see it more widespread.
    Have a look at this website: http://drivethrucomics.com/browse.ph...=41210_0_0_0_0

They have a section for Kid Friendly that I have linked to, you can buy independent comics in pdf format.

Quote Originally Posted by Masters of Pen and Paper View Post
    Have a look at this website: http://drivethrucomics.com/browse.ph...=41210_0_0_0_0

They have a section for Kid Friendly that I have linked to, you can buy independent comics in pdf format.
    Thanks for that link. There's definitely some interesting and potential options there.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    How about a golf comic? I think the writer of Lone Wolf and Cub had a golf manga at one point.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

More Pulp and/or Noir style comics would be my top two that are not on the list. Of the ones on the list I voted Fantasy, Supernatural and Mystery.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    Thanks for that link. There's definitely some interesting and potential options there.
    No problem! It's the website I publish novels at and will soon publish comics at too.

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    How about a golf comic? I think the writer of Lone Wolf and Cub had a golf manga at one point.
    Golf is another cool idea. Not sure how well it would translate into a comic though.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    More Pulp and/or Noir style comics would be my top two that are not on the list. Of the ones on the list I voted Fantasy, Supernatural and Mystery.
    I have a list on paper I am working on, so while noir isn't on the poll it is on the one on paper. I agree though, noir mystery and supernatural are awesome.
    Last edited by Masters of Pen and Paper; 03-22-2016 at 01:28 PM.