View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Astronauts In Trouble #10 (of 11)

0 0%
  • Black Science #21

7 41.18%
  • Elephantmen #69

0 0%
  • Four Eyes: Hearts of Fire #3 (of 4)

1 5.88%
  • Postal #11

0 0%
  • Power Lines #1 (of 6)

0 0%
  • Revival #38

3 17.65%
  • Saga #35

6 35.29%
  • They're Not Like Us #12

0 0%
  • Wayward #15

0 0%

Default Weekly Image poll #13 - biting satire awaits!

Welcome back to the weekly Image poll, where we discuss our weekly reading & vote for our favourite comics!

As the comics year is slowly getting underway, we're seeing a slow increase in votes again. Last week Cry Havoc #3 was the main recipient, taking no less than 40% of all votes cast to take the win! That's the first win for this series so far.

This week's rundown: Astronauts in Trouble hits its penultimate issue, as does Four Eyes: Hearts of Fire, while the arcs of Black Science, Elephantmen, They're Not Like Us and Wayward are all ending.

That's a lot of endings, but we've also got a brand-new starter! Jimmie Robinson is launching a new series with one heeeeeeell of a pitch. Get this: young, black man from the ghetto gets superpowers due to some ancient magic. The kicker? They only work in upscale, white neighbourhoods - and those residents don't want a 'street thug' as their hero! On concept alone, Power Lines sounds like a winner.

243017.jpg

(Notice how the street sign reads 'White st.')

Power Lines sounds terrible and looks like it will be putting preachiness before plot. "White St"? Really? Bendis is a hacky writer but at least he never gets that blatant in his Miles Morales books when he addresses the race issue. His powers really only work in white neighborhoods? Hahaha holy cow, that sounds pants-on-head stupid.

This week is Saga vs Black Science for me. Postal should be good, too, but I never vote for it LOL.

EDIT: I voted Black Science. This arc has sucked, and been essentially a long jumping in point for new readers. BOO. But it ended on a solid note, finally doing something of consequence to the main plot. I loved it, it was perfectly executed.
    Saga was decent, but not vote worthy, just set up for the big climax. This Saga arc ends next month, and that'll be the vote gobbler.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 03-30-2016 at 03:48 PM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Man, Saga came out this week? This series is just passing me by. I keep forgetting it exists these past few months after such a forgettable last arc and kind of dull opening. Has it remotely picked up since then?

So the only comic I read this week was Wayward #15. Now, this was an improvement over the first two arcs. Things were built up to much better, the stakes felt big and understandable, and finale felt earned. That being said, this arc utterly stunk for characters. So little to no development at all, too many new characters were introduced and done little with, Rori Lane did nothing this arc and she felt inconsistent at the end, and most of the villains were forgettable (except for the main one. He's pretty good). Things setting up for a more interesting fourth arc, where maybe they'll actually address some important points (like the whole mind wipe thing the series seems to be tap-dancing around).

Also, here's a bonus review for a manga I brought a while ago called Goodnight Punpun, in case you are interested.
    Last edited by InformationGeek; 03-30-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Saga, Elephantmen, and Four Eyes this week.

Saga was up to standard and definitely got under my skin in good ways. I flinched when Doff gave up the councilman to save himself and Upsher. And it breaks my friggin' heart to see The Will having gone from someone who was outraged over the senseless slaughter of an animal and would move the world to save Sophie, to the sort of debased SOB who'd threaten a child's life over the sins of his father. Over on the Marko/Alana/Hazel side of things, I'm braced for another "just missed her" moment. They're getting annoying, but the journey is still interesting enough that I'm not actively annoyed if that makes sense. Solid installment.

Elephantmen is still the Obadiah Horn show, and I'm really quite OK with that. I like Hip, but Trench and Horn are the ruthless fuckers who keep me reading. Wasn't blown away by the resolution, but I was satisfied with the character work on display and that works just fine by me.

Four Eyes... was brutal and just perfect. Actions have consequences, and Enrico's learning the hard way that one moment of misdirected anger is enough to turn all your hopes and dreams to so much bleeding meat. I'm on the edge of my seat for this one, so it gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    So the only comic I read this week was Wayward #15. Now, this was an improvement over the first two arcs. Things were built up to much better, the stakes felt big and understandable, and finale felt earned. That being said, this arc utterly stunk for characters. So little to no development at all, too many new characters were introduced and done little with, Rori Lane did nothing this arc and she felt inconsistent at the end, and most of the villains were forgettable (except for the main one. He's pretty good). Things setting up for a more interesting fourth arc, where maybe they'll actually address some important points (like the whole mind wipe thing the series seems to be tap-dancing around).
    Just curious, but you were pretty down on this series the first two arcs right? What kept you going back, interested in the setting? Reviewer duties?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Just curious, but you were pretty down on this series the first two arcs right? What kept you going back, interested in the setting? Reviewer duties?
    Despite a lot of problems, it's the fact I see the potential in Wayward that keeps me coming back. I think the story and its characters could be good. Zub has pushed the story in some good and surprising directions and as of this last arc, he's improved in some places. The problem is the lack of development or growth with most of the characters, often due to them being underused or the pacing rushes through development. Some get minor developments while most others have been sitting the background doing nothing or are in the foreground but are stagnant outside of becoming more bloodthirsty. It makes the relationships and connections hard to buy into or see as real. This is a series, if it wants to really capture the feel of a manga, that needs to be more like Blue Exorcist than Seraph of the End in storytelling, pacing, and character terms.

Wayward was solid, good characters and story as usual. And my Irish self is looking forward to the next arc.

But Revival earns my vote. While there's not much movement on the plot, it was a nice character study. And I like how Seeley has been framing his stories, last time it was wish vs. reality, this time its Cooper comics, with a dark assist from Jordan.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    His powers really only work in white neighborhoods? Hahaha holy cow, that sounds pants-on-head stupid.
    I'm tempted to pick it up just to see how they explain that. I'm betting they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Power Lines sounds terrible and looks like it will be putting preachiness before plot. "White St"? Really? Bendis is a hacky writer but at least he never gets that blatant in his Miles Morales books when he addresses the race issue. His powers really only work in white neighborhoods? Hahaha holy cow, that sounds pants-on-head stupid
    I don't know, it could definitely work. Unfortunately my shop didn't have it so couldn't check it out, but if the message gets done in a blunt, up-front way like Bitch Planet - that could still work, provided there's some genuine, palpable rage behind it. It's interesting you bring up Miles Morales, since that's a little too light on its message in my opinion, choosing instead to go for a bunch of punch-outs. Still a great read, mind. Super excited for Sarah Pichelli to finally return on art duties there.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Despite a lot of problems, it's the fact I see the potential in Wayward that keeps me coming back. I think the story and its characters could be good.
    Ah ok, yeah I can see what you mean. The early issues honestly did look really good, and they've regularly had gorgeous covers that make me consider dropping back in. But yes agreed that there's a lot of untapped potential, unfortunately. Good to hear it's getting better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughy Man! View Post
    But Revival earns my vote. While there's not much movement on the plot, it was a nice character study. And I like how Seeley has been framing his stories, last time it was wish vs. reality, this time its Cooper comics, with a dark assist from Jordan.
    Yeah this one kinda came out of nowhere, didn't it?! They did the comics thing earlier in the Chew crossover but that was just a few panels, so cool to see that element return for a bit. Revival rarely has a weak issue. Will be a shame once this ends; with Colder and Rachel Rising gone I'm running a little low on horror.

Best issue of Black Science in a while. Really enjoyed this one after not caring for this arc too much.

BLACK SCIENCE SPOILERS
    spoilers:
    That issue was so perfectly executed. I really hope that is the last time we ever see that nasty old crab. It was such a great, ironic ending. I hope she doesn't get busted out of jail by another Grant next arc or anything. People always say Remender relies too heavily on killing characters to get all his shocks and hooks into readers, but this was such a smarter way of writing off a major character than any GRRM or Walking Dead inspired surprise death scene.
    end of spoilers

Spectacular Member

Just picked up my comics today, Only Black Science and Saga this week. Loved them both but the vote goes to Saga can't wait for #36 to drop.