Super Moderator

Default C2E2: Mike Mignola & Chris Roberson Explore "The Future of Hellboy"

"Hellboy In Hell" may be ending, but the character still has a future -- albeit on that lies in exploring his past and his allies.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

This might be Mignola's departure for the character for the time being but I just don't see Dark Horse not using Hellboy again in some miniseries, one shot, or graphic novel in some fashion.
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvitloud1976 View Post
    This might be Mignola's departure for the character for the time being but I just don't see Dark Horse not using Hellboy again in some miniseries, one shot, or graphic novel in some fashion.
    They are still using him without Mignola. Chris Roberson is writing Hellboy and the B.P.R.D which fills in the character's past. Middenway will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure, but they're currently writing the 1953 miniseries, and have planned books to at least 1956, with an interview I read some place a while back saying they ideally wanted to fill in Hellboy's past up until Seed of Destruction, which I believe is set in 1994.

Jeez. That'd be 41 books. They'd never do that, would they? I mean, that would be crazy.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    They are still using him without Mignola. Chris Roberson is writing Hellboy and the B.P.R.D which fills in the character's past. Middenway will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure, but they're currently writing the 1953 miniseries, and have planned books to at least 1956, with an interview I read some place a while back saying they ideally wanted to fill in Hellboy's past up until Seed of Destruction, which I believe is set in 1994.

Jeez. That'd be 41 books. They'd never do that, would they? I mean, that would be crazy.
    they cant do anything without mike Mignolas permission as he owns Hellboy. and has a say in what stories happen in the hellboy universe.

Quote Originally Posted by breen2057 View Post
    they cant do anything without mike Mignolas permission as he owns Hellboy. and has a say in what stories happen in the hellboy universe.
    Mignola has confirmed up to at least 1956, hinted at elements in 1959, and mused about going on into the 1960s and even 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Mignola has confirmed up to at least 1956, hinted at elements in 1959, and mused about going on into the 1960s and even 1970s.
    I think what our fellow poster breen2057 refers to is the fact that Hellboy et al is creator-owned. So there is no "Mignola departure" from Hellboy, but instead it's like the line in the first post to this thread says it. As well as how the article linked to here is saying it.

The awesome thing about Hellboy being creator-owned is that a creation still needs a publisher and it found it in Dark Horse - in how Dark Horse isn't competing with the creator or telling them what to do, but instead Mignola and Dark Horse work together and for stuff that mr Mike couldn't be doing comfortably himself other great talents have been sought for,
    all as working together with still keeping it all as real and true and personal as possible! I'd be to think.

Hellboy isn't like a Marvel or DC kind of property, just kept alive and milked to the bone. Just like many other great comic properties such as EC Comics or Kirby before Marvel even existed, or Bob Kane despite DC, or Mark Schultz's Xenozoic Tales or Dave Stevens' Rocketeer. Robert Crumb. Charles Burns. Corben. Moebius. Hergé's Tintin.
    Not all comics are remotely like Marvel or DC as proving corporate properties in actuality, seeming a strength and virtue more than anything else. I'd think.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 03-26-2016 at 08:45 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    I'm having a shock right now.
    I been out of the loop since "The Hound of Pluto", and didn't realize the series' end is two issues after.
    So is Dark Horse going to continually publish Hellboy but with Mignola as more of a co-writer? Or is this truly the "end" of Hellboy in the Hellboy Universe?

I'm really hoping they will keep Hellboy active in the current timeline and perhaps let him interact with the characters from BPRD.
    Like how Varvara will interact with Hellboy especially after she's free and has realized there is no longer a legion of demons under her command.
    Last edited by Septaryeth; 03-27-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Septaryeth View Post
    I'm having a shock right now.
    I been out of the loop since "The Hound of Pluto", and didn't realize the series' end is two issues after.
    So is Dark Horse going to continually publish Hellboy but with Mignola as more of a co-writer? Or is this truly the "end" of Hellboy in the Hellboy Universe?
    I notice you're quoting Middenway, but my perspective would be this:

The interview as linked to in the first post seems to answer your two quentions with that the title Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. will continue as set in the past, written between mr Mike and Chris Roberson.
    Whereas your second question appears to get answered by how the tales as already published both as this interview sound veered to implying it very well could be the end of Hellboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Septaryeth View Post
    I'm really hoping they will keep Hellboy active in the current timeline and perhaps let him interact with the characters from BPRD.
    Like how Varvara will interact with Hellboy especially after she's free and has realized there is no longer a legion of demons under her command.
    I'm re-reading Hellboy: Strange Places (2005!) currently, as seeming enormously illuminating. As proving alarming both as deeply rewarding to read.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper