Super Moderator

Default Pipeline - Mar 22, 2016

Augie revisits Chris Claremont and Todd Nauck's year with Nightcrawler, giving him a love triangle and a set of Bamf sidekicks.

Full article here.

Any chance of me reading the Nightcrawler series disappeared when I read this line:
    He's not afraid to have characters spout the necessary exposition to catch a reader up on a relationship or a power set. It's often obvious, but not objectionable to someone who came up reading such comics.
    When I first tried Claremont in the 80s it was that exposition that drove me away. The idea that it makes it new reader friendly is a myth as far as I can tell. He just overloads you with mostly unnecessary information that breaks the flow of the comics.

Give it a shot. It really is much more restrained than you might remember or fear. EVERY comic has exposition; very few writers hide it well. It's a necessity, it's not fun to write, it's not easy to hide, so most just rip the Band-Aid off and hope the reader doesn't mind too much.

If you don't like Claremont's style in general -- the catchphrases, the short word balloons, the pet favorite villains -- then I won't try to talk you out of it.

-Augie

Quote Originally Posted by Augie De Blieck Jr. View Post
    If you don't like Claremont's style in general -- the catchphrases, the short word balloons, the pet favorite villains -- then I won't try to talk you out of it.

-Augie
    I think they only Claremont stories I enjoyed were Star Trek: Debt of Honour and Aliens vs Predator: Deadliest of the Species. Certainly none of the X-Men stuff.