Page 98 of 139 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2072
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Will Wonder Woman have the same budget as Captain America? 140M? Probably not. But even back then I don't recall too many people saying CA was a huge success but a modest one. People expect big numbers on these superhero movies because the budget is usually so big. How great is WW making 200M if it costs more than that to make? Or is the new criteria for success waiting for international box office? If that's the case Sony should have just kept the rights to Spider-Man since it still made more than the MOS.
    WW is reported to be budgeted at under 150mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rock View Post
    WW is reported to be budgeted at under 150mm.
    150 Millimeter? That is a small budget.
    But seriously, 150 Million is a nice budget for her first movie. Should be interesting.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Merchandising doesn't mean box office though.
    Yeah.
    I thought you were saying they were not iconic characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Correct. WB isn't concerned with the same 25 people on CBR or SHH or (insert forum here) who gripe endlessly about the film and pontificate where its so-called lack of profitability is concerned. In fact, all but one person I've spoken with "offline" said they loved the movie. The same goes for many of us, no doubt.
    The opposite for me, in fact. Opinions range from "loved it" to "it was okay" to "I was disappointed." With loved it in the minority.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    150 Millimeter? That is a small budget.
    But seriously, 150 Million is a nice budget for her first movie. Should be interesting.
    Sorry. mm = million, whereas m = thousand. I deal with stock in the thousands for work and shorthand for that is m so ... old habit.

P.S. I suppose k = thousand in some places but I've used m for so long now it won't work for me. I can always clarify my figures if anyone is confused by my shorthand.
    P.P.S. I could imagine my boss's reaction to the printer that made 250 million copies on an order that was written "250m copies by cob" lmao
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 04-24-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Heh, DC was aligning his three biggest characters in BvS, three pop culture icon known worldwide, two of them who had been starring in their own movies only a few years before, one of them straight out of a successful billions++ trilogy of films...

Of course BvS was going to make money for its studio, that was never in question, no matter how people slice it today.

However, we all know it didn't make as much money as it should have been doing, all because of how mediocre the movie in itself actually is.
    A movie this big shouldn't have been mediocre or okay-ish at all - GOOD to EXCELLENT should have been the general consensus around it.
    Instead, the majority of people who've seen it are navigating in mediocre - okay-ish waters when it comes to it.
    How is that satisfying for DC and WB ?
    Of course it's not.
    Studios only care about the money they make, and it's obvious money was left on the table with this movie. Right now, it litterally is making money despite being so flawed it was universally panned for it: can't get more frustrating to know a GOOD movie would have reached who knows what numbers for WB...
    Especially when your direct concurrence just managed to do it (Deadpool/Fox), or seems to be taking that road (CW/Marvel) right before or after your own movie.

Yes, Marvel made less money with Thor, Captain America, or Iron Man or Ant-Man.
    So what ? Since when Batman and Superman shouldn't make more money than the three of them, or Ant-man ?
    Thor, Captain America or Iron Man were nowhere near the level of public recognition and appeal when their movies came out than BATMAN and SUPERMAN. None of them were pop culture icons like those and WONDER WOMAN either.
    Let alone Ant-Man...
    They had a launching pad way steeper than the Trinity had here, yet they still made a lot of money, and their movies were well received by moviegoers and critics.
    Because of how entertaining and generally good they were.
    Which is all that matters to someone who just paid her/his ticket for a movie: whether or not the movie will deliver and actually be GOOD.

At the end of the day, a bad movie is still a bad movie, all the money in the world won't change that.
    F4ntastic could have cracked a billion, this movie would still be a massive disappointement, plagued as it was.
    Of course BvS is not F4ntastic level of bad, or Green Lantern level of bad, but it's not what I would call a good movie either: I personnally took issue with the pacing of the movie and its general structure, some jarring creative decisions regarding the characters' adaptations and some of the acting performances that were honestly underwhelming.
    All this threw this movie off and that's why it sits between mediocre and okay-ish for a lot of people, me included: it should have been so much more. Overall, it disappointed me. I knew the moment I stepped out from the theater there was no way I was going to go see it again. Some of my friends felt actually cheated once out !
    And at some point, studios can't serve subpar movies to the audience and expect said audience to come back afterward. Which is the goal here for them, after all. Get the audience to come back to see the next movie, so they can snatch those €/$/£ again and keep the ball rolling...
    A lot of people are from the "fool me once..." category, so neglecting quality or, at the very least, entertainement, is not really an option when investing this much money in a project.
    Brushing people pointing that out as a doomy and gloomy crowd, or as a bunch of haters, unappreciative of Snyder's talent as I've seen way too many times since this movie came out, is not really compelling.
    First, I'm not trying to brush anyone's personal opinions of the movie off. Personally, I was somewhat disappointed, too.

I am just trying to keep the 'doom and gloom' in perspective. Sure, it's quite likely that BvS "should have" / "could have" done much better given that this was Batman and Superman (as much as I love WW, she really hasn't been a big draw in decades). I would have liked a "better" movie, too.

On the other hand, $850+ million really isn't that bad of a jumping off point for the DCCU. Guess we'll all just have to wait and see how the DC movies do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    First, I'm not trying to brush anyone's personal opinions of the movie off. Personally, I was somewhat disappointed, too.

I am just trying to keep the 'doom and gloom' in perspective. Sure, it's quite likely that BvS "should have" / "could have" done much better given that this was Batman and Superman (as much as I love WW, she really hasn't been a big draw in decades). I would have liked a "better" movie, too.

On the other hand, $850+ million really isn't that bad of a jumping off point for the DCCU. Guess we'll all just have to wait and see how the DC movies do.
    Hey its nice to have a logical opinion on this board sometimes lol. Two DCCU movies making over 1.5 billion dollars isnt bad at all. Maybe alot of people didnt like them. Who knows what could happen if the next two or three people actually like them lol. Of course to be honest not sure it matters much in the big picture. We think it does. But really its bout money. I remember when that last Judge Dread movie came out. Fans of Dread loved the movie. LOVED IT. It made like 15 million bucks or something. Now no matter how much they freaking loved the movie it didnt matter. What mattered is it bombed and they didnt make another one.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Hey its nice to have a logical opinion on this board sometimes lol. Two DCCU movies making over 1.5 billion dollars isnt bad at all. Maybe alot of people didnt like them. Who knows what could happen if the next two or three people actually like them lol. Of course to be honest not sure it matters much in the big picture. We think it does. But really its bout money. I remember when that last Judge Dread movie came out. Fans of Dread loved the movie. LOVED IT. It made like 15 million bucks or something. Now no matter how much they freaking loved the movie it didnt matter. What mattered is it bombed and they didnt make another one.
    I personally thought the movie was awesome, so the fact that it's made $850+ million is a bonus.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rock View Post
    Sorry. mm = million, whereas m = thousand. I deal with stock in the thousands for work and shorthand for that is m so ... old habit.

P.S. I suppose k = thousand in some places but I've used m for so long now it won't work for me. I can always clarify my figures if anyone is confused by my shorthand.
    P.P.S. I could imagine my boss's reaction to the printer that made 250 million copies on an order that was written "250m copies by cob" lmao
    Ah in America we usually just use mil as the shorthand. We use k for a thousand.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Venom View Post
    I personally thought the movie was awesome, so the fact that it's made $850+ million is a bonus.
    Me to I cant wait for the R rated version.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    Except for the problem that most critics didn't even mention how much the movie made and criticized plot points and other legitimate problems with the actual movie that they didn't like.
    I just did a google search for "batman vs superman failure". How many links would you like that try to explain why the movie is a failure despite its bow office gross? The top link was even posted 6 hours ago.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    You dont use the internet often, isnt it ?. Not saying that everyone will think like that; but given that the general public has problems keeping the MCU and the FOX movies separated.........................................

You know that you are basically comparing a movie about these 3, who are more famous than all the Avengers together:

With a movie that was just about him:

Big fish in small pound.
    Ponds change. In 1963 Superman was pretty universally recognized but Spider-Man would have not been. Now they would probably be neck and neck.

The Avengers movies have increased Iron Man's brand name exponentially.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The New Black View Post
    I just did a google search for "batman vs superman failure". How many links would you like that try to explain why the movie is a failure despite its bow office gross? The top link was even posted 6 hours ago.
    Rotten tomatoes 28%. Lots(most) of reviews that don't even mention box office.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batm...contentReviews

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Ponds change. In 1963 Superman was pretty universally recognized but Spider-Man would have not been. Now they would probably be neck and neck.

The Avengers movies have increased Iron Man's brand name exponentially.
    Yup. I hate when people bring up x character is more popular than y character. At one time the Spirit was the most popular character in comics. Now pretty much no one knows who he is. The whole well Batman or superman is more popular than Iron man argument is stupid. Iron man and the x men are in theory more popular than deadpool with the general public. But Deadpool made more money than the first two iron man movies or any x man movie. So I dont know why people keep saying this crap.

And just to edit that. If anyone can argue with me that Wolverine is not more iconic than deadpool to the general public have at it. Wolverines last movie did less than half of what Deadpools movie did domestic. So quit using this silly argument.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 04-24-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yup. I hate when people bring up x character is more popular than y character. At one time the Spirit was the most popular character in comics. Now pretty much no one knows who he is. The whole well Batman or superman is more popular than Iron man argument is stupid. Iron man and the x men are in theory more popular than deadpool with the general public. But Deadpool made more money than the first two iron man movies or any x man movie. So I dont know why people keep saying this crap.
    It's not even about which character is currently more popular. Superman and Batman, and to a lesser extent Wonder Woman are pop culture ICONS. It's like asking who George Washington is. Everyone knows who they are. Everyone. Even now. This is not even a question. I don't know why or how anyone is trying to deny this fact.