Page 6 of 139 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Really, all the negatives that I keep hearing about the movie are from people who simply can't grasp how Batman, Superman, and co can be depicted in a way different than what the usual is for movies in the MCU.

I enjoy the MCU, but people for some reason want the DCEU to be that. Like people are literally having problems that this movie is discussing the consequences, and effects, of metahumans, and heroism, in a way that would be discussed in real-life. They have a problem that Superman can't be allowed to grow into the symbol of hope, both mentally, and emotionally, so that the moment he does it means something. They have a problem that we're not getting the more classic, or Clancy Brown, type of Luthor (he's very similar to the All Star, and Red Son, versions from what I hear). Some people can't grasp the fact that Batman being in the wrong here is a commentary on what being Batman can do to a man who feels that after 20 years, he's failed, and thus his fears, defeatism and frustration, has clouded his judgement, and he's channeling it at Supes. That's human.

I see people saying it's dull because it's a drama, and it's not action packed. This is why we can't take comic book movies seriously. I bet even Civil War will be hit with the "too dark, and gritty" tag.
    Im pretty sure that Civil War tag is going to be: "Too many jokes, and that killed the tension" like always.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Then why the Oscar-baits have such horrible box offices most of the time ?.
    Because Oscar winning or nominated films rarely have robust box office numbers, more than a few of those films don't even enjoy nationwide release or are only shown in art houses. They win awards solely on the merits of the actors, writing or direction, not how much money they earn. If that were the case, Michael Bay would have Oscar statuettes out the ass.

As for BvS, I have absolutely no interest in seeing it, just like with Man Of Steel. Zach Snyder never moved the needle for me with any of his films which are dark, grim and relentlessly joyless, so I can't say I'm surprised at the early pans of BvS. Still, just like with Transformers, it'll rake in cash hand over fist, and, at the end of the day, that's all DC/Warner Bros. cares about.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Spectacular Member BertoFlyingFox's Avatar

Siiiigh

The critics aren't asking for the DCEU to be like the MCU......they just want good movies with ranges of emotions. Ranges. Of. Emotions. Dark and gritty tends to mean "2 dimensional God of War character #58158409". We don't need Kratos in a Batman costume fighting Kratos in a Superman costume.

Superman's good nature clashes with Batman's views....if you lose that dichotomy, it just devolves into Snyder favorite thing....choosing style over substance.
    Last edited by BertoFlyingFox; 03-22-2016 at 05:28 PM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

i will wait for jeremy jahns to review it. he and i tend to have similar, if not identical views and feelings on a movie. especially a comic book movie.

DC/WB need to just bite the bullet at this point
    Sadly the reception of this movie might indeed change how we get things going forward.

Fantastic Member

I never understand the hate for man of steel
    honestly speaking, man of steel is better then vast majority of Marvel's expect these, iron man one, winter solider and the avengers. An even then its on par with them. Man of steel was epic

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Really, all the negatives that I keep hearing about the movie are from people who simply can't grasp how Batman, Superman, and co can be depicted in a way different than what the usual is for movies in the MCU.
    This really hits the nail on the head. "It's not like Marvel. Marvel did it like this and it worked. This can't work. It can't be good."

I've always been of the school of thought that any work should be judged on its own merits first and comparisons should be drawn later where they are applicable. We have to remember as humans, we do have inherent biases and it's not always easy to put them aside to judge any work of art. Many critics choose to put their biases at the forefront to the point where we can get Roger Ebert's review for Troy where he complained about the lack of Greek gods and goddesses in the movie. Anyone who watched that movie could tell it was a realistic take on the Trojan War, but that doesn't really stop strange comments from being made. This isn't a statement to necessarily bash critics, but bashing that little thing called preconceived notions. Then again, I come at everything from the perspective of a scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    honestly speaking, man of steel is better then vast majority of Marvel's expect these, iron man one, winter solider and the avengers. An even then its on par with them. Man of steel was epic
    No. Its not. As much as we wanted it to be it was not.

Still have lots of high hopes for BvS though.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i will wait for jeremy jahns to review it. he and i tend to have similar, if not identical views and feelings on a movie. especially a comic book movie.
    Yeah, Jeremy Jahns and Chris Stuckmann are usually right where I am, when it comes to reviews of big movies.

John Campea of AMC/Collider Movies Talk said it was great.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Yeah, Jeremy Jahns and Chris Stuckmann are usually right where I am, when it comes to reviews of big movies.

John Campea of AMC/Collider Movies Talk said it was great.
    oooh almost forgot about chris. chris and jj are my go-to reviewers.

I'm not surprised to read most of the negative reviews. It's too bad, really, because I actually liked Snyder's "style over substance" approach to his earlier films. With MoS, he traded in all his usual tricks for generic snap zooms and a teal color grade. I swear I wouldn't have known it was a Snyder film without looking at the credits.

I'll be curious to see where the tomato score lands. For whatever that score is worth. MoS was like 56% with nearly 300 reviews. This one is at 42% with I think still less than 40.

This one has time to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    Yeah it was. (On all counts). The beginning of his epic journey. Great flick and highly enjoyable in my opinion. I didn't like Pa Kent's death scene, but loved the rest.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BertoFlyingFox View Post
    Siiiigh

The critics aren't asking for the DCEU to be like the MCU......they just want good movies with ranges of emotions. Ranges. Of. Emotions. Dark and gritty tends to mean "2 dimensional God of War character #58158409". We don't need Kratos in a Batman costume fighting Kratos in a Superman costume.

Superman's good nature clashes with Batman's views....if you lose that dichotomy, it just devolves into Snyder favorite thing....choosing style over substance.
    But that's not the case. Chris Terrio wrote the script....yet people keep focusing on the Snyder style....hell, people are lamenting the fact that Synder has made an character drama, rather than cool over the top action, as their is little action in the movie in contrast to the advertising.

The range of emotions are there. It's just realistic, and these are people who are drowning in defeatism because their actions have reactions, people don't like their interference, or being a hero isn't always fun (look at Daredevil....it's relentlessly dark, but that's not a criticism for some reason. Why? Because the story demands it, but with the DCEU it's wrong?).

I don't even see why this is a complaint. The screenwriter came out and said that this is their Empire Strikes Back, well in advanced.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 03-22-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Amazing Member

If this reviewer has a problem with pacing I can see that being mentioned in Stuckmann's review.