Page 99 of 139 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2072
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    It's not even about which character is currently more popular. Superman and Batman, and to a lesser extent Wonder Woman are pop culture ICONS. It's like asking who George Washington is. Everyone knows who they are. Everyone. Even now. This is not even a question. I don't know why or how anyone is trying to deny this fact.
    The rolling stones are icons. Doesnt mean they sell more records than Taylor Swift anymore. The whole Icon stuff is means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yup. I hate when people bring up x character is more popular than y character. At one time the Spirit was the most popular character in comics. Now pretty much no one knows who he is. The whole well Batman or superman is more popular than Iron man argument is stupid. Iron man and the x men are in theory more popular than deadpool with the general public. But Deadpool made more money than the first two iron man movies or any x man movie. So I dont know why people keep saying this crap.

And just to edit that. If anyone can argue with me that Wolverine is not more iconic than deadpool to the general public have at it. Wolverines last movie did less than half of what Deadpools movie did domestic. So quit using this silly argument.
    You might have a point if anyone knew who Wolverine was before 2000's X-Men movie. Wolverine was more popular than Deadpool before Deadpool had his own movie, but he still isn't really iconic yet like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are and have been for over 50 years.

Astonishing Member

You might have a point if anyone knew who Wolverine was before 2000's X-Men movie. Wolverine was more popular than Deadpool before Deadpool had his own movie, but he still isn't really iconic yet like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are and have been for over 50 years.
    You move the goal post constantly. Wolverine is far more iconic than Deadpool. Its not even close. So now why did deadpool destroy every movie that wolverine was ever in. Its almost impossible for any marvel fan to admit that any of their heros are iconic in any way except for spiderman. Its this underdog oh no one knows who we are status that is so annoying.

The rolling stones are icons. Doesnt mean they sell more records than Taylor Swift anymore. The whole Icon stuff is means nothing.
    To claim that it iconic status means nothing is just kind of baffling to me. It's patently false and wrong. BvS(and MoS) made the majority of it's money based off of name recognition alone. It's like saying Star Wars movies don't benefit from their icon status.

You move the goal post constantly. Wolverine is far more iconic than Deadpool. Its not even close. So now why did deadpool destroy every movie that wolverine was ever in. Its almost impossible for any marvel fan to admit that any of their heros are iconic in any way except for spiderman. Its this underdog oh no one knows who we are status that is so annoying.
    So now Deadpool is a pop culture icon after one successful movie? Maybe it did so well because...it was actually good or better than the Wolverine movies?

Astonishing Member

To claim that it iconic status means nothing is just kind of baffling to me. It's patently false and wrong. BvS(and MoS) made the majority of it's money based off of name recognition alone. It's like saying Star Wars movies don't benefit from their icon status.
    Glad you brought up star wars. Star wars didnt exist before 1977. Star Trek had icons right? Captain kirk, spock, Klingons ect. Star wars destroyed every star trek movie at the box office. That captain kirk Icon sure helped.

Astonishing Member

So now Deadpool is a pop culture icon after one successful movie? Maybe it did so well because...it was actually good or better than the Wolverine movies?
    You can become a popculture icon in one movie or one album. It doesnt matter. John Wayne was an icon. But Clint Eastwood westerns started doing better than his. Why is it hard for so many of you to see that times change.

You can become a popculture icon in one movie or one album. It doesnt matter. John Wayne was an icon. But Clint Eastwood westerns started doing better than his. Why is it hard for so many of you to see that times change.
    Ok, let's get down to my point. Are you seriously trying to say that Deadpool or Wolverine are more popular, or more well known by the general public than Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman?

Extraordinary Member

It's not even about which character is currently more popular. Superman and Batman, and to a lesser extent Wonder Woman are pop culture ICONS. It's like asking who George Washington is. Everyone knows who they are. Everyone. Even now. This is not even a question. I don't know why or how anyone is trying to deny this fact.
    No one is, except the lesser part.

But the thing that makes them iconic is merely a time and enduring popularity. Spider-Man is also iconic. He is, after all, only twenty years younger than Superman.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Glad you brought up star wars. Star wars didnt exist before 1977. Star Trek had icons right? Captain kirk, spock, Klingons ect. Star wars destroyed every star trek movie at the box office. That captain kirk Icon sure helped.
    Yes! It absolutely did. Otherwise there would be no current Star Trek franchise and a number of tv series over the years.

Extraordinary Member

Ok, let's get down to my point. Are you seriously trying to say that Deadpool or Wolverine are more popular, or more well known by the general public than Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman?
    Deadpool, no. Wolverine would be getting up there.

Thirty years from now all the people who recognize Superman will likely recognize Iron Man as well.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

Dude it doesnt matter. There is going to be a day 50 years from now believe it or not when Deadpool will have a movie and it wont make as much as some other comic book movie with a new character. And I am sure you will be on here and say man I cant believe that flyman movie made more than the icon deadpool lol. Do you think some kid in this country gives a rats ass about Superman being iconic. He thinks deadpool is cool. Thats all that matters. Why is it so hard for so many of you to get this.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Deadpool, no. Wolverine would be getting up there.

Thirty years from now all the people who recognize Superman will likely recognize Iron Man as well.
    And that's my point. THIRTY years from now, they MIGHT be as popular/recognizable as the holy trinity. Note, they have that nickname for a reason.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    No one is, except the lesser part.

But the thing that makes them iconic is merely a time and enduring popularity. Spider-Man is also iconic. He is, after all, only twenty years younger than Superman.
    And Captain America and Namor are about 3 years younger than superman. But somehow they aint "iconic"

Astonishing Member

And that's my point. THIRTY years from now, they MIGHT be as popular/recognizable as the holy trinity. Note, they have that nickname for a reason.
    You keep making stuff up. Look. Iconic means nothing!!!!!!!! The walking dead is the highest rated show on tv right now by far.It doenst matter that its not iconic! If star trek comes on next year and doesnt out rate the walking dead is that a failure cause they are iconic and the walking dead is not? Agggggggggggg arrgggggg ahhhhhh