Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It is because people really, really, really wanted it to be epic. Its freaking BATMAN AND SUPERMAN AND WONDERWOMAN AND DOOMSDAY AND LEX!! How is that not awesome?!

It is the same hype and hope people had going into Avengers. It just sounds like Avengers gave the people what they wanted while this movie missed a bit and couldn't match expectations.

Which I wonder... is the movie this mediocre or were expectations and excitement level just so off the charts that it couldn't reach it so in turn it feels mediocre? Guess I will find out Friday.
    that's the feeling i'm getting. chris stuckmann said in his review that the internet is funny in that you either love something or hate something. there is no in-between. you can like stuff in a bad movie. i liked a few things in ASM2 but but there was a lot i didn't like about the movie.

jeremy, chris and others aren't saying the movie is "omg this movie rocks!" or "holy ****! what a piece of dog crap!"

they just thought it was............alright.

C+ from Stuckman...

So wait... they turned Batman into the Punisher???
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It is because people really, really, really wanted it to be epic. Its freaking BATMAN AND SUPERMAN AND WONDERWOMAN AND DOOMSDAY AND LEX!! How is that not awesome?!

It is the same hype and hope people had going into Avengers. It just sounds like Avengers gave the people what they wanted while this movie missed a bit and couldn't match expectations.

Which I wonder... is the movie this mediocre or were expectations and excitement level just so off the charts that it couldn't reach it so in turn it feels mediocre? Guess I will find out Friday.
    I'd say it's a little bit of both. I would not be surprised if the film is genuinely mediocre, especially in light of MoS, which is one of the more divisive superhero films in the past decade. I don't think it helps that there have been some real gems since then and people are now expecting a little more from their superhero fare.

I think the missed expectations is more evident when it comes to actual fans of superhero comics.

Retired

The thing that bugs me about both pro and fan reviews is that they don't use proper critical standards. Critical standards would be evaluating what the movie sets out do and how effectively it achieves that result. Instead they set out what they want the movie to be and then they hold it up against their own expectations as to how much it achieves that result.

I doubt that BVS comes anywhere close to being the movie that I would want, but if I watched it, then I'd put on my critics hat and consider it as a piece of art and how it works as art.

The reviewers seem to have a mistaken idea of what film criticism is about. Or else they have no desire to do a proper film critique and just want to go off on their opinions of what they think super-hero movies should be. That's a completely different discussion--and I don't think it respects the director's art.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing that bugs me about both pro and fan reviews is that they don't use proper critical standards. Critical standards would be evaluating what the movie sets out do and how effectively it achieves that result. Instead they set out what they want the movie to be and then they hold it up against their own expectations as to how much it achieves that result.

I doubt that BVS comes anywhere close to being the movie that I would want, but if I watched it, then I'd put on my critics hat and consider it as a piece of art and how it works as art.

The reviewers seem to have a mistaken idea of what film criticism is about. Or else they have no desire to do a proper film critique and just want to go off on their opinions of what they think super-hero movies should be. That's a completely different discussion--and I don't think it respects the director's art.
    Read stuckman and schmoes review then.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I wonder if the Man of Steel fanboys will be so forgiving of this movie or will the absolutely rip it apart
    Ah... I see some people who liked MOS are already biting the bullet and calling this a bad film.
    Fool me once
    I'm just not sold on Zack Snyder if they got a good director like chris nolan to make these dreary dark batman movies
    Its going to be a lot harder for a just okay director to make it work with Batman and Superman

Now I will go back to waiting for Suicide Squad to redeem the DCEU

All-New Member

Without seeing the film, I am looking forward to it, but I think it will be mediocre which is probably sad in itself. I do not let reviews ruin things for me which is why I stay away from detailed reviews until after I have seen a film. I think this will make box office dollars opening weekend and maybe even 2nd week, but will not live up to higher dollars with repeat viewings. That in and of itself pretty much lets you know that this film might be entertaining and a good popcorn film, but not a "great" movie. Just like Avengers Age of Ultron, a film which I have only seen once btw.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

The reviews are what I expected. And besides 300, I don't like Snyder, particularly as a comic film director.

I'm not seeing much love for Eisenberg as Lex, and I love Lex, so that really may hurt the film for me, fanboywise.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

About to see this thing - spoilers incoming in 150 minutes!

Last edited by nepenthes; 03-23-2016 at 06:09 AM.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    The reviews are what I expected. And besides 300, I don't like Snyder, particularly as a comic film director.

I'm not seeing much love for Eisenberg as Lex, and I love Lex, so that really may hurt the film for me, fanboywise.
    Oh really, couldn't tell :P
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

So now we are reviewing the reviews? And saying HOW the reviewers should write their reviews? Now that is some funny **** right there. It's like "let's deflect that this is being reviewed as a bad movie by saying the reviewers aren't reviewing it properly".

I will be laughing about that all day.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    that's the feeling i'm getting. chris stuckmann said in his review that the internet is funny in that you either love something or hate something. there is no in-between. you can like stuff in a bad movie. i liked a few things in ASM2 but but there was a lot i didn't like about the movie.

jeremy, chris and others aren't saying the movie is "omg this movie rocks!" or "holy ****! what a piece of dog crap!"

they just thought it was............alright.
    Yes, which was my fear, and is kind of worse than one of the other two options, isn't it? As others have pointed out, this is the first live action cinema meeting of these three American icons, and the fact that they poured all this money and effort into it and the final product turns out to be "meh" is in its own way more depressing than if it out-and-out sucked.

I haven't seen the film yet, and I agree critics can be hit or miss, but the film as described by the reviews so far is exactly what I expected based on the filmmakers involved and everything else I read/saw about this film since the beginning.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BertoFlyingFox View Post
    This has been a hilario-fest. The amount of fan reviewers coming out who just skirt around calling it a bad movie has been a treat.

JJ is saying his favorite Batman is shooting people with 50 cals everywhere, calls the movie a confusing mess yet he's optimistic about it for some reason. Schmoes call it a confusing mess....then say it's an okay film. You could visually see the disappointment in their faces by minute two

I know it's hard to get a straight answer out of comic book fans, but this is ridicularious. I'm waiting for the person who spends 5 minutes explaining why Lex Luthor wasnt as crappy a casting choice as everyone else seems to say he is.
    I don't recall them ever calling it "confusing". And JJ is the same guy who likes Burton's Batman, so its no surprise.

He's judging Batman by the film standards not the comics. Even Nolan's Batman directly killed people a couple of times. Like when he destroyed the League of Shadow hideout and he shot at Talia knowing full well that would have killed her.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 03-23-2016 at 09:44 AM.

The redeeming feature of this movie is that everything just looks amazing - their physicality and costumes, the atmospherics, battles and sequences - everything barring terrible CGI in the final Doomsday battle. Batman himself is almost straight from the comics. WONDER WOMAN is stunning - steals it entirely. Otherwise yeah the bad reviews are hitting on some serious and very real problems with this movie. It's bloated and dreary and straight up doesn't make sense. Goyer still all over it. Batman and Superman stop fighting and become friends because both of their mothers are called Martha.

Trivial spoilers

spoilers:
    Flash all of a sudden just appears in full costume standing there and talking for 10 seconds then disappears. His costume is pretty far out.

Batman shoots a bunch of people in the dream sequence (the extended battle is a long single-take shot and amazing). In real life he rams cars until they explode with guys inside them and throws actual grenades at guys. Kinda weird.

We see the creation of Cyborg - his human remains are just a torso and a head - the technology very obviously a motherbox.

Doomsday is created partially from Lex Luthors blood.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by nepenthes; 03-23-2016 at 09:44 AM.