Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Review Roundup: "Batman v Superman" is a Jumbled, Gritty Yet Visually Pleasing Spectacle

With only four days left until the big premiere, reviews for Warner Bros.' "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" have started flooding in.

Full article here.

Hmm. I'm not necessarily surprised by these reviews, but it doesn't do anything to dampen my excitement. I hope I love it.

Sounds like I was right in setting my expectations on "aggressively mediocre." Better than Man of Steel, at least.

BANNED

Looks like "mixed reviews" is the word of the day.

BANNED

This does nothing to quell my excitement. Movie criticism is and has always been infested with conformist philistines.

Mighty Member

Still taking a half day off from work and seeing the first show at 6PM EST.

The mediocrity surprises no one. Even the good reviews say things like "despite" and "is saved by".

We are getting Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman on screen together for the first time ever. EVER. Just soak that in.
    I have zero expectations going in, but I'm going nonetheless. I was thoroughly unimpressed with MoS and I think Snyder is a mediocre director and Goyer does not get DC at all. But I'm going nonetheless.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Similar criticisms that were made of Age of Ultron. Though I suppose that was more fun.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    Similar criticisms that were made of Age of Ultron. Though I suppose that was more fun.
    Exactly my feeling. From reading the reviews alone, I felt this movie might be a What if Avengers Age of Ultron took itself a little too seriously?

These reviews sound mixed, but then I remember the kind of reviews they gave Man of Steel. Since I really enjoyed Man of Steel and think it's one of the most underrated superhero movies of all time, I don't give them that much credence. I get the sense that critics are willing to be nicer to Marvel movies than they are DC. With the exception of last year's Fantastic Four, they're way too willing to give them a pass. So I'm not going to let this dampen my excitement for this movie.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Schmoes review.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Hey, I have EXTREMELY low expectations, so either either I'll get to laugh or be pleasantly surprised. I think Snyder is a mediocre at best director, and DC's perpetual chasing of Nolan's style just doesn't do anything for me. And the trailers seemed like the writers just really, really want to sound deep and quotable more than anything else.

The visuals were gonna be decent, given that it's Zack Snyder, but I find his visual style very bland. It's wallpaper material, nothing more.

The grim levels, well, that's something DC seems to be actively aiming for with their movies, so I expected that. But I wasn't sure if they were gonna lessen that or amp it up this time around. I'm not even sure what would be the better route to go with this movie, so I'll wait and see.

And the over-stuffed thing, I fully expected.

My reaction to all this is probably gonna be my reaction to the movie itself, that is 'meh'.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

JJ's review.

Spectacular Member BertoFlyingFox's Avatar

This has been a hilario-fest. The amount of fan reviewers coming out who just skirt around calling it a bad movie has been a treat.

JJ is saying his favorite Batman is shooting people with 50 cals everywhere, calls the movie a confusing mess yet he's optimistic about it for some reason. Schmoes call it a confusing mess....then say it's an okay film. You could visually see the disappointment in their faces by minute two

I know it's hard to get a straight answer out of comic book fans, but this is ridicularious. I'm waiting for the person who spends 5 minutes explaining why Lex Luthor wasnt as crappy a casting choice as everyone else seems to say he is.

Quote Originally Posted by BertoFlyingFox View Post
    This has been a hilario-fest. The amount of fan reviewers coming out who just skirt around calling it a bad movie has been a treat.

JJ is saying his favorite Batman is shooting people with 50 cals everywhere, calls the movie a confusing mess yet he's optimistic about it for some reason. Schmoes call it a confusing mess....then say it's an okay film. You could visually see the disappointment in their faces by minute two

I know it's hard to get a straight answer out of comic book fans, but this is ridicularious. I'm waiting for the person who spends 5 minutes explaining why Lex Luthor wasnt as crappy a casting choice as everyone else seems to say he is.
    It is because people really, really, really wanted it to be epic. Its freaking BATMAN AND SUPERMAN AND WONDERWOMAN AND DOOMSDAY AND LEX!! How is that not awesome?!

It is the same hype and hope people had going into Avengers. It just sounds like Avengers gave the people what they wanted while this movie missed a bit and couldn't match expectations.

Which I wonder... is the movie this mediocre or were expectations and excitement level just so off the charts that it couldn't reach it so in turn it feels mediocre? Guess I will find out Friday.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html