Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Do we know for certain, outside of past statements, that Wonder Woman can't fly?

From memory, she randomly "drops" in the final battle "from above". I'm not sure she drove herself to an abandoned part of Gotham that was being torn apart by a monster in pretty record time from the Gotham (or was it Metropolis?) airport, stopping along the way to retrieve her armour and weapons from somewhere and to change her clothes.

Unfortunately, I don't think she will fly, but she must have some "super" powers to just drop out of the sky, whether it's gliding on air currents or super-sized "leaps / jumps".
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wonder which properties the lasso has? I don't think it's even up for debate that it's magical, because of the glow. The truth aspects can't be ruled out either, because it's not as if that aspect would be much use against Doomsday anyway. But maybe the pre-Crisis submission powers are in play? Was being wrapped in the lasso sapping Doomsday's will? Obviously not to the extent that it would subdue him on its own, because he's too much of a powerhouse, but I wonder if the lasso was doing more to keep him still than it seemed.

I'm getting the impression that she leaped down. She can leap vast distances like MCU Hulk. Though unlike him, hopefully her landings didn't damage too many things on her way there.
    Agreed. I think she can just jump vast distances which is cool but I hope at some point she will develop her flying abilities. I want her to be as strong as she is; this movie reignited my interest in the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm getting the impression that she leaped down. She can leap vast distances like MCU Hulk. Though unlike him, hopefully her landings didn't damage too many things on her way there.
    I am getting the same impression, and I think thats what Gal meant when she (long ago) said Diana could sort of glide through the air... it makes me think of the Ang Lee Hulk who stayed in the air for huge amounts of time between landings. Kinda hope thats what they are aiming for simply as a way of underlining that she is not Superwoman minus the heatvision, and that there is a reason why Superman is percieved as this god-like figure when his equally powerful colleagues are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I am getting the same impression, and I think thats what Gal meant when she (long ago) said Diana could sort of glide through the air... it makes me think of the Ang Lee Hulk who stayed in the air for huge amounts of time between landings. Kinda hope thats what they are aiming for simply as a way of underlining that she is not Superwoman minus the heatvision, and that there is a reason why Superman is percieved as this god-like figure when his equally powerful colleagues are not.
    Up until this movie, no one even knew there where other supers in universe. They wouldn't perceive them as god like figures because as far they they were concerned such figures didn't exist.

Anyway, hoping she can fly and we later see it in future films. I don't see how flying makes her less of a warrior. No one says that about Thor or the characters from DBZ.

Fantastic Member

Wonder Woman, as a character, look, and the abilities that's been shown so far, I have no complains and quite happy. I am more, disappointed, however, with the fight choreography; I maybe a minority here but I really did not think it was impressive, although entertaining enough due to the thundering music; there were one or few moments like when Diana (Spoilers) destroyed the car being thrown at her by Doomsday. I guess I was expecting something more memorable moves like what we saw in her animated movies (or something equivalent to that because Doomsday is so huge that hand to hand combat will be a bit difficult) because this is her debut in live action movie film, and I really wanted it to stand out against all other choreographies so far as we all obviously want WW to stand out as the no. heroine meta human arse kicker in the DCU and beyond. The CGI lights and explosions were way too much; the action sequences so fast that it was so hard to appreciate the nuances of the fight. Ironically, I enjoyed the scene wherein when WW was impaled by Doomsday against a wall, when she blocked the electrical explosion with her shield (both where in the trailers), and when she sent rolling in the floor as her shield and sword got knocked out from her hand. It would have been nice to see something like what she did to Darkseid in Justice League War, or block one of Doomsday spikes with her bracelets (this may have happened but i'm not sure as everything was so freakin' fast and flashy). I believe the better fight choreography here was really with Batman when she saved Martha. In this fight scene, there's not much difference between Batman and WW's speed (Batman now see meta-human speed) when he dodged Doomsday's heat vision (either that or Doomsday took a long arse time shooting his heat vision). I have a hard time imagining Batman's tools to be faster than the heat vision..lol, hey, but he's Batman.

Aside from that, I am not too bothered that WW's can't fly. I rather that she not fly if her sword and shield are kept; there's not a lot of weapons in the DCU that can cut Kryptonian-type beings, and other god-like creatures in the DCU, whereas flying abounds here and there. I like the shiled design but I rather she uses her bracelets more than the shield and it looks particulary cumbersome in battle, or if there's a way that this shield can be easily placed in her hand and her body, like having telepathic control over her shield, sword, tiara and lasso will be great (enough to at least retrieve back to her), then it will be okay.

I epsecially like the shockwave created by her bracelets. Though I've seen it's various applications in comics, mainly for blocking large energy attacks, the application of this is vast. Of course, it's always an option for WW to dodge as she is quick enough, but aside from the schockwave being used an offensive, I really hope they show in her own movie how it can be defensive. For example, with her bracelets, I would like for her to be able to do the following:

...she can do the shockwave thing to repel an incoming large projectile that she can no longer dodge or punch away but she uses this sparingly of course because she would have very little control of the debris flying everywhere
    ...she can block multlple gun fire towards her in a linear fashion, and control how the bullets are repelled, skilled enough to even send them back to the direction they were fired from, though I doubt tha't show it would really fly back - physics wise. In addition, I would like to see for her in the movie, block incoming gun fire as she is moving towards the person at close range until she disarms him/her; that will be cinematically be cool.
    ...she can block bullets a reasonable amount of bullets fired at her at multiple directions
    ---even cooler for me is that she can block incoming multiple bullet fires in all directions aimed at her head, feet, arms, body, and using a mini-shockwave to repel many of the bullets without it even touching her like (kind of like how Magneto stops the bullet in this case the bullets just get repelled and fly harmless all over the place. This can explain how she can be fast enough to dodge every bullet. Even if she's faster than Superman by a bit in reflex time, it's really hard to imagine WW blocking more than 100 bullets fired at her in all directions in all angles - no matter how fast she is; she will get hit, unless there's something magnetic about the bracelets that pulls metal projectiles towards it. So seing WW directly block many bullets, energy attacks, and using the shockwave (and shield and sword, even slicing a bullet in half in mid air) will be quite a cinematic feat with lots of variation; I really hope they capitalize on this! WW is fast, but if she's fast enough to block all bullets coming at her at every direction and angle without the shockwave, she will have to be very very darn fast to the point that she can travel time like Flash, and it would be virtually impossible to land a blow at her without her being able to block it; quite boring.

Last but not the least, did you think that Diana heard the same thing Superman heard when Alfred was talking to Bruce? I imagine with the ability to hear firing of the bullets she would hear that as well (but then again a gunfire would not be as loud as that). Extended senses definitely has to come with WW but to what extent I'm not sure. She has a keen eye definitely and can probably read through body language that something was up....
    Last edited by Titan Theo; 03-29-2016 at 02:14 AM.

I have the feeling that she does fly.

In between shots, before Doomsday kicks debris onto her, we can see her coming from far away and then with the up close shot of her from behind when she shields herself from the debris, it feels like she does control her landing.

And in the shots where she propels herself in the air, there is some sound effects which might suggests something more than jus a super-jump, but I'm not entirely sure.

I will wait for the dvd release to look at her action scenes image by image.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Up until this movie, no one even knew there where other supers in universe. They wouldn't perceive them as god like figures because as far they they were concerned such figures didn't exist.
    Lex knew, and all of Gotham and Metropolis knew about Batman. And it's more about the presentation, like when a being floats down from above in a cape that can seemingly do anything with his hands... thats very much a god-like figure, and the movie presents him as such. By contrast, the other supers are all slogging through the mud with the rest of us, Diana was ankle deep in it in fact.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Agreed. I think she can just jump vast distances which is cool but I hope at some point she will develop her flying abilities. I want her to be as strong as she is; this movie reignited my interest in the character.
    I don't see her getting the ability to fly based on the fact that she is 5000 years old and she would have been granted this power way before if that is what the DC editorial wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Lex knew, and all of Gotham and Metropolis knew about Batman. And it's more about the presentation, like when a being floats down from above in a cape that can seemingly do anything with his hands... thats very much a god-like figure, and the movie presents him as such. By contrast, the other supers are all slogging through the mud with the rest of us, Diana was ankle deep in it in fact.
    When I said supers, I meant super powered beings. Batman was presented as being an urban legend with debate as to whether or not he even existed.

Also, they've stated that they'll be saving Diana's true power for her solo film, so we still don't know the extent of her ability, though causing an explosion seems pretty god-like. And even in some cultures, gods have limits.

Nor do we know of the others' powers as they exist in this verse. Cyborg's actor states that he can hack any computer on the planet.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It seemed to be unbreakable and capable to extending to any length required, since the amount of lasso wrapped around Doomsday and held by Wonder Woman was longer, potentially even significantly longer, than the lasso when worn on Wonder Woman's hip.

I think it had to have some kind of "containment" ability, otherwise Doomsday would have been able to leap / jump away from being restrained. From memory, Wonder Woman had braced herself to stop Doomsday from moving away across the ground, but she didn't appear to be positioned in a manner to practically prevent Doomsday from leaping / jumping. So, I would guess that it was the lasso itself which stopped Doomsday from escaping by leaping / jumping. Unless Doomsday was just too focused on breaking free from the lasso to escape? Doomsday's intellect level wasn't particularly clear.

Then again, this is a movie where the "title" fight only occurs because Superman refuses to simply say to Batman: Don't attack me. We're both being played by Lex Luthor who has kidnapped my mother and is threatening to kill her unless I kill you. Let's work together to save my mother and stop Luthor. We can be super best friends forever! And by the way, do you happen to know of any 100 year old warrior princess who could help us? We could really use the expertise of a super-powered warrior who has hundreds, if not thousands, of years of battle experience.
    Yeah, Doomsday not thrashing about more was what made me think the lasso's magic properties were playing a part in keeping him restrained and not just Diana's own strength (which was still mighty impressive).

For the bolded point, I don't think that's entirely fair. Clark doesn't know anything about Diana up until that point, and while Bruce does know there's something strange about her, he doesn't know she's only a tier below (if that) Clark in terms of strength or any of her other capabilities. I doubt he knows anything about Hippolyta, the Amazons or the Greek gods playing any role in this strange woman's history. Why should he? That's way outside his wheelhouse.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Okay so 2nd time watching I could concentrate more on the Doomy fight and it was much more enjoyable this time around, loved the editing Snyder did with the fight especially with WW it really was something to behold then at the end WW lassoing Doomy, Batman firing the last can of Kyrptonite gas and Superman charging in with the Spear, that was a such a great moment!

I think WW got teased just about right, little teases like I left Man kind 100 years ago and I killed things from other worlds before. Smart move from WB to tease her now and then flash her out fully in 2017 and this way more people will probably watch the film now too.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

It seemed to be unbreakable and capable to extending to any length required, since the amount of lasso wrapped around Doomsday and held by Wonder Woman was longer, potentially even significantly longer, than the lasso when worn on Wonder Woman's hip.

I think it had to have some kind of "containment" ability, otherwise Doomsday would have been able to leap / jump away from being restrained. From memory, Wonder Woman had braced herself to stop Doomsday from moving away across the ground, but she didn't appear to be positioned in a manner to practically prevent Doomsday from leaping / jumping. So, I would guess that it was the lasso itself which stopped Doomsday from escaping by leaping / jumping. Unless Doomsday was just too focused on breaking free from the lasso to escape? Doomsday's intellect level wasn't particularly clear.

Then again, this is a movie where the "title" fight only occurs because Superman refuses to simply say to Batman: Don't attack me. We're both being played by Lex Luthor who has kidnapped my mother and is threatening to kill her unless I kill you. Let's work together to save my mother and stop Luthor. We can be super best friends forever! And by the way, do you happen to know of any 100 year old warrior princess who could help us? We could really use the expertise of a super-powered warrior who has hundreds, if not thousands, of years of battle experience.
    Err Superman did try to talk to Batman twice, Batman was having none of it, Batman's bobby traps pissed Superman off so Clarke decided to quickly subdue Batman and then talk seemed the reasonable thing to do, but of course Batman had a secret weapon.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Err Superman did try to talk to Batman twice, Batman was having none of it, Batman's bobby traps pissed Superman off so Clarke decided to quickly subdue Batman and then talk seemed the reasonable thing to do, but of course Batman had a secret weapon.
    And then the fight changed to one of survival on Clark's part once Kryptonite was introduced into the equation. He probably could have tried a little harder to reason with Bruce, but I didn't come away from the fight thinking Clark was the unreasonable one in comparison.

Ultimate Member

He didn't a very good job of talking. Also if you want the guy to trust you, don't appear before him as ominously as possible. But that entire battle was build on a terrible foundation anyway. They were BOTH being unreasonable and stupid.

Back to WW, they've already said that they're saving some of her powerset for her own movie.

My biggest concern going into the Wonder Woman movie is the decision to have Diana go into hiding/retirement for the previous 100 years. I think, the concept that Diana was in retirement during World War II is not really a positive for the character. It makes her seem a bit less heroic to me, if she could have done something and chose not to. I'm not sure I like that, as it would have been a better idea in my eyes to leave that open ended as that could be something else to explore later. Saying she was completely absent though, from a war that involved genocide of men women and children is a bit of a struggle for me. If it were explained that she flat out could not have been there due to another mission or task, that'd be one thing, but this version seems to have given up on people in general. Yes, she talks of the world of man, but it also includes women and children.I think too many of these superhero movies are forcing the concept that the hero wants to give up. Despite whatever tragedy WW may have suffered in her life, her simply quitting on the entire planet has me concerned. Other then that though, I'm completely fine with the performance of Gal Gadot and am hopeful for the WW movie. Though I can understand that from a character standpoint, I think it undercuts their gravitas as a hero. Maybe that's just me though.

This...this just made me smile sooooooo much

Very spoilerific, tho', so you've been warned!

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/29/1132312...n-wonder-woman