Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero-Man View Post
    I have it on good authority (and this will be confirmed this weekend) that Rebirth leads to a return of the pre-Flashpoint Earth.

Action Comics will be set on this Earth, as well as a few other titles, including some released after June.

One of those very interesting titles? Wally West: The Flash.

The JSA will also return, though not exactly how fans remember, but also not involving the current Earth-2 iterations.

The interesting thing about the central conceit of Rebirth is that it's sort of meta in a way; the post-Flashpoint Earth knew about the creation of a new universe with Flashpoint, but forgot that the pre-Flashpoint Earth was still there afterwards, not unlike how DC forgot about its own legacy.

Also, pre-COIE, Earth-1 Barry and New 52 Barry will share the page at some point in Rebirth, and perhaps after.
    I'm sorry but whenever someone, who as far as I'm aware doesn't work for DC (in this case) whatsoever I'm always sceptical when they say ''I have it on good authority''. That's just me though. Nothing personal and if indeed what you say gets confirmed tomorrow I'll hold my hand up and admit I was wrong to be sceptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If this fails I truly believe it will be the end of the Didio regime. So, if what I see Saturday makes me tap out, well...maybe it'll be a temp tap out. Or maybe it'll be it for me, who knows, but I do think this is their last shot.
    I have a feeling you might be right but if that's the case and this does fail than the question becomes ''Who comes after Didio?''

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post

I have a feeling you might be right but if that's the case and this does fail than the question becomes ''Who comes after Didio?''
    well didio should already be out of DC comics, not his first failure.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    well didio should already be out of DC comics, not his first failure.
    Ok...That's not what I was asking LOL but ok

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    I think more books involved with Earth 2 is the perfect way to go with since only one book set on one Earth does not allow for telling a good scale and actually frees space up to follow continuity by allowing coordination through a a already smaller set of books in publication. Also, If Titans are going to be on Earth 2 does that mean Dick does or is a Multiversal traveler.
    You should check out Invincible. Invincible has told the story of a world just as varied and rich as the DCU from one single title. Granted, you rarely got to see inside, say, Rex-Splode's head or got to see his parents, but Invincible, among a few others, prove that it can be done. And for DC, their current versions aren't all that drastically different from the norm, with a couple exceptions like Wally and the JSA. So an alternate earth title would naturally want to highlight the most varied and different characters, so you'd end up with a fairly manageable cast and an army of background characters to weave in and out as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    He has 9 Lives. Tales of his demise have been greatly exaggerated before. I wouldn't hope too much. I am not convinced WB cares too much as long as DC Comics doesn't hemorrhage money.
    Comics are certainly a break-even industry, and the parent companies dont give a damn as long as they dont lose money on the investment. However, comics also serve as the springboard for the larger media stuff. They've become, to one degree or another, cheap IP farms for movies, cartoons, and games. If WB allows DC to drop the quality, they'll find themselves in a corner within a few years as they realize the list of stories worth adapting is pretty short, with nothing new coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    But the thing is, DC sales are currently lagging so how would publishing more of the New 52 books really be a smart thing?
    What's the point of bringing back a continuity that already failed?

Even now, DC's sales aren't any worse than they were before the reboot (at least as of a few months ago). So that tells me that whatever fans left with the reboot, they were replaced with new faces. Im much more inclined the believe that us old fans did what we always do when DC screws with continuity; kept reading what we liked. And the new fans DC has gained since 2011 who have left since then are not likely to be enticed back by a continuity that pre-dates them.

The real issue isnt continuity. Its the talent. People dont actually want the old continuity back; they want the kind of stories they got back then back and mistakenly believe that a fictional history will solve the problem of them not liking the current batch of talent.

Was Cry For Justice any better a story because it was told in the pre-52 history? Or Grounded or Odyssey?

Its not the old history people want back, its the old creators and stories they told. If DC were to publish a title set in the pre-52 DCU, they'll be using modern talent at best, or at worst old talent who have not evolved or changed with the times. And we can ask Dan Jurgens how well that's working out for him on Lois & Clark.

I wouldn't be against a pre-52 title. I'd even be okay with a couple. But they're going to live or die on the merits of the stories they tell right now, today, tomorrow, next year, not on what stories "officially happened" ten, twenty, thirty years ago.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Comics are certainly a break-even industry, and the parent companies dont give a damn as long as they dont lose money on the investment. However, comics also serve as the springboard for the larger media stuff. They've become, to one degree or another, cheap IP farms for movies, cartoons, and games. If WB allows DC to drop the quality, they'll find themselves in a corner within a few years as they realize the list of stories worth adapting is pretty short, with nothing new coming in.

What's the point of bringing back a continuity that already failed?

Even now, DC's sales aren't any worse than they were before the reboot (at least as of a few months ago). So that tells me that whatever fans left with the reboot, they were replaced with new faces. Im much more inclined the believe that us old fans did what we always do when DC screws with continuity; kept reading what we liked. And the new fans DC has gained since 2011 who have left since then are not likely to be enticed back by a continuity that pre-dates them.

The real issue isnt continuity. Its the talent. People dont actually want the old continuity back; they want the kind of stories they got back then back and mistakenly believe that a fictional history will solve the problem of them not liking the current batch of talent.

Was Cry For Justice any better a story because it was told in the pre-52 history? Or Grounded or Odyssey?

Its not the old history people want back, its the old creators and stories they told. If DC were to publish a title set in the pre-52 DCU, they'll be using modern talent at best, or at worst old talent who have not evolved or changed with the times. And we can ask Dan Jurgens how well that's working out for him on Lois & Clark.

I wouldn't be against a pre-52 title. I'd even be okay with a couple. But they're going to live or die on the merits of the stories they tell right now, today, tomorrow, next year, not on what stories "officially happened" ten, twenty, thirty years ago.
    I have to say, that sounds more than reasonable to me.
    Last edited by Rod G; 03-26-2016 at 01:38 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero-Man View Post
    I have it on good authority (and this will be confirmed this weekend) that Rebirth leads to a return of the pre-Flashpoint Earth.

Action Comics will be set on this Earth, as well as a few other titles, including some released after June.

One of those very interesting titles? Wally West: The Flash.

The JSA will also return, though not exactly how fans remember, but also not involving the current Earth-2 iterations.

The interesting thing about the central conceit of Rebirth is that it's sort of meta in a way; the post-Flashpoint Earth knew about the creation of a new universe with Flashpoint, but forgot that the pre-Flashpoint Earth was still there afterwards, not unlike how DC forgot about its own legacy.

Also, pre-COIE, Earth-1 Barry and New 52 Barry will share the page at some point in Rebirth, and perhaps after.
    No offense, but I think your good authority was messing with you or was not that good to begin with.

The Wondercon coverage has revealed that the New 52/Earth-0 verse is remaining. Lois and Clark's characters will be in Action Comics, but it's still set on Earth-0.

There are other details that will follow Rebirth, but when Lois & Clark, American Alien, and Adams' Superman series are done, I'll be done buying current DC comics. My money will be going to collecting back issues from the BA and completing my post-COIE run of Superman titles.

DC has yet again failed me. They could have easily put some pre-Flashpoint characters on a different Earth (or Earth-2) and I'd have bought those, but buying anything with the pre-Flashpoint characters is a "vote" for the New 52 crap and I refuse to continue doing that.