Page 188 of 245 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238 ... LastLast
Results 2,806 to 2,820 of 3672

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    As I previously said, at the end of the movie it is not clear why you need Justice League then if you have Superman who can save the world alone. Even in comic books Superman can't be everywhere at the same time and in order for world to be protected it takes an entire legion of super heroes to keep people safe, while in Justice League if Superman can both defeat a villain and save people at the same time (in comic books League usually divide their duties between each other during global conflicts), I don't see how anything can be a problem for him at this point.
    In JL, Clark didn't save the world alone.

He needed Vic to separate the Mother Boxes.

While Clark was flying people out of danger Diana and Arthur kept Steppenwolf busy. Had they not been there, the New God would have just harried Clark, getting innocent people killed. And with Clark distracted Steppenwolf might've done better in the fight.

Bruce was useful too. I mean, I think he took down like, two parademons during the last fight.

All that said, the League could've divided up jobs and everyone could've gotten a slightly better showing......but after BvS I think we earned a chance to see Clark on top of the world.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Because when it comes to adaptation of comic books for a movie, various iterations might be considered while making movie version of said character.
    Sure, but Stepp's showing in that book doesn't mean any adaptation is beholden to it. They've taken a LOT of liberties before this. I mean, MOS establishes that Kryptonian atmosphere doesn't agree with Clark to such a degree that it weakens him. That's never been the case in the comics. Thus, this is a liberty taken by the film.

As for the Superman vs Justice League, I have no problem with him being more powerful than all of them if he doesn't hold back any of his powers, but I would have prefered if Steppenwolf was so powerful, that it would take Superman AND Justice League combined to defeat him
    That would've been how I'd have done it (more or less), but that's not what Snyder set up in BVS, so I don't find myself surprised that that Superman was that much stronger than Stepp.

In fact, I think Snyder's original vision to have this be two movies was the right call rather than just the single. You basically do JL1 like Empire Strikes Back, and JL2 like Return Of The Jedi. That way you get more build up for Superman's return, highlight that while the team is strong they're still missing a big chunk, and really showcase some character. JL2 would act as the final leg of Superman's character arc. So, yeah, missed opportunity, but the backlash from BVS and SS were too hard for the studio to ignore and stay on their projected path.

Even in comic books Superman can't be everywhere at the same time and in order for world to be protected it takes an entire legion of super heroes to keep people safe,
    The movie does a clumsy job of making the point that even though Superman is physically strong and fast enough to save people and beat Stepp with little issue, he can't do both at the same time. The classic Superman issue of "who do I pick to save" is solved when he's got 5 other people with exceptional skills around him. That's usually how the comics keep true to Superman's considerable ability while having him make sense on a team. They make it so it's a global or higher issue that warrants them coming together.

For some fantastic displays of this idea check out Priest's first issue of JL, and check out Morrison's whole run on JLA. Speaking just about Priest first issue, you really get the sense that doing what the JL do day to day is balancing act of the highest order, and the main issue if knowing how to divide up the team effectively to simultaneously protect Earth from itself and everything else. THAT'S how you do a Justice League movie at it's highest level, and never once did I think that Superman couldn't solve all of those issues with little issue if he had the time, but he didn't since they were all happening at once, and he's only one guy. So he passes the ball.

And thinking on it more, it would've made for a rather strong trilogy character arc/building theme if Superman answers the question of "what will you choose?" by saying "I don't have to anymore, I've got friends." I'd have up-scaled Stepps area of effect rather than his personal power. This way the idea would've been that Stepp figured he couldn't even get this far without a Kryptonian actively trying to stop him from the get-go. But since he is this far along in his plan (since Superman was MIA even after he came back) it's too much to deal with at once for one Kryptonian. Maybe set one of the emergence just outside of Earth's atmosphere to spread the team thin.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 12-08-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Because when it comes to adaptation of comic books for a movie, various iterations might be considered while making movie version of said character.

As for the Superman vs Justice League, I have no problem with him being more powerful than all of them if he doesn't hold back any of his powers, but I would have prefered if Steppenwolf was so powerful, that it would take Superman AND Justice League combined to defeat him, like it took an entire army of various nations and cosmic beings during first invasion. As I previously said, at the end of the movie it is not clear why you need Justice League then if you have Superman who can save the world alone. Even in comic books Superman can't be everywhere at the same time and in order for world to be protected it takes an entire legion of super heroes to keep people safe, while in Justice League if Superman can both defeat a villain and save people at the same time (in comic books League usually divide their duties between each other during global conflicts), I don't see how anything can be a problem for him at this point.
    To be completely fair, the first Avengers film did the same thing. It used Loki as the villain, whom Thor had just defeated by himself in his solo movie, and it ends with Hulk thrashing him around into near unconsciousness. Loki had more Chitauri than Steppenwolf had Parademons, but the general idea of the big bad villain getting wiped by 1 member of the team while the rest play support is there. It worked out fine in Avengers & nobody complained, and I think Superman cleaning up here is fine too.

The first film of a team is not supposed to be about their struggles, it's supposed to be about the comaraderie (and the differences) between the characters. In short, the bad guy is only there to get punched a lot. The sequel is where you should really ramp up the stakes, and since your team is already established you can then spend time giving depth to the villain. I felt this was an area where Whedon dropped the ball with Ultron, and why I like Avengers 1 better than 2. Every ingredient needed to match Avengers success is present in JL, but obviously there were too many cooks. I almost guarantee we won't see Superman saving the world (nearly) alone in the sequel, if we're lucky enough to get one.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    To be completely fair, the first Avengers film did the same thing. It used Loki as the villain, whom Thor had just defeated by himself in his solo movie, and it ends with Hulk thrashing him around into near unconsciousness. Loki had more Chitauri than Steppenwolf had Parademons, but the general idea of the big bad villain getting wiped by 1 member of the team while the rest play support is there. It worked out fine in Avengers & nobody complained, and I think Superman cleaning up here is fine too.

The first film of a team is not supposed to be about their struggles, it's supposed to be about the comaraderie (and the differences) between the characters. In short, the bad guy is only there to get punched a lot. The sequel is where you should really ramp up the stakes, and since your team is already established you can then spend time giving depth to the villain. I felt this was an area where Whedon dropped the ball with Ultron, and why I like Avengers 1 better than 2. Every ingredient needed to match Avengers success is present in JL, but obviously there were too many cooks. I almost guarantee we won't see Superman saving the world (nearly) alone in the sequel, if we're lucky enough to get one.
    From most reports I have read Justice League was originally going to be two parts with Darkseid as the main villain and Steppenwolf was just sort of round one. If that be the case it sounds like
    it would take everyone to defeat Darkseid.

Superman struggling against Zod in MoS doesn't mean anything if you consider the fact that it was his first ever fight, he was a guy with no fighting skills whatsoever. It isn't surprising in the least that he struggled against someone as powerful as him but more skilled. BvS fight was a disaster, that is what happens when you give Superman allies who are less powerful than him, he will have to underperform. After his poor performance in BvS, Superman deserved something as good as his JL showings. So no complaints from me at all.

I don't have any idea why WB chose Steppenwolf as the main villain, he has never been a threat that took the whole league to beat as far as I know. Steppenwolf's performance was poor in Earth 2 series, he had to attack Diana from behind when she was engaged in fight with parademons. He didn't do anything to Superman either. All the countries on Earth and Wonders had to work together in the Earth 2 series not because of Steppenwolf. The reason was Brutaal, a Superman clone. Brutaal killed Steppenwolf with absolute ease and stomped the collective forces of government and wonders. I sincerely hope Darkseid will kick Superman's ass across the globe if he try to fight DS on his own in JL2(if we ever get one). It should take the whole league to beat Darkseid.

Astonishing Member

man this movie was terrible. the previous two films might have been flawed, but now it seems like whedon really just took everything interesting about them and made them homogenized, bland, and um marvel. clark had a theme building between mos and bvs that seemed like it was going to climax here, but no instead we got what was basically a soft reboot.

i get why batman v superman was panned (and if you didn't like that or mos then obviously there is nothing to lose here), the movie was a mess, but it was doing visually something none of the other superhero movies were, and it was loosely playing watchmen-esque themes that were interesting, this was just hollow as you could get.

steppenwolf was also pretty missed opportunity to adapt the themes of the fourth world to the dceu.
    Last edited by Kid A; 12-09-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Every time the New Gods show up they redraw Superman’s face.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Huffington Post did an article about fans' support to Cavill's Superman: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b09ee35b8ae619

Hope Henry is aware of this article and the online movement #CAVILLMVP.

This was posted before the Variety's article about DC/WB shake-up in January...

MAN OF STEEL 2?

"Something I've alluded to, both on the El Fanboy Podcast and with Bill "Jett" Ramey on his Batman-on-Film Vlog #2, is that there had been momentum for a Man of Steel 2 prior to Justice League's opening weekend. I had it on good authority that the studio was feeling so high on Superman after the most recent JL test screenings, that they were getting ready to make a formal announcement about MOS 2 as soon as this coming January.

But now, similar to what's going on with The Batman, the information trail has gone cold.

This doesn't mean MOS 2 is off the table. It only means that DC Entertainment has cooled off on discussing things for now. They're taking in all of the feedback and data regarding Justice League's performance, and they're taking time to carefully assess the situation.

It calls to mind what LucasFilm did last year, at this very time. Kathleen Kennedy said publicly, prior to the release of Rogue One, that the company would convene in January to determine the future of the Star Wars franchise. At the time, they had just invested in an expensive- and extensive- overhaul of Rogue One. They wanted to see how that film was received, then use that information to course the path for future SW films- i.e. Would they kick off another Trilogy after Episode IX? or Would they move into a Standalone-Only model after Episode IX?

It took some time, but we now know what LucasFilm decided after those January meetings- with Rian Johnson getting hired to oversee a whole new Trilogy, and no announcements about other standalones beyond Solo: A Star Wars Story.

With Man of Steel 2, we're going to have to take that wait-and-see approach.

Personally, I hope they still pull the trigger on fast-tracking it. I want to see Cavill get another shot at Superman, now that the theatrical cut finally introduced us to a version of the character that's clicking with mass audiences. And, considering he's one of only two things that have received universal praise about Justice League​, I don't think the studio will punish Superman by rebooting him."

Read more here: http://www.elfanboy.com/blog/el-fanb...r-dc-questions
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 12-09-2017 at 10:41 AM.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Huffington Post did an article about fans' support to Cavill's Superman: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b09ee35b8ae619

Hope Henry is aware of this article and the online movement #CAVILLMVP.
    Considering Henry admits he does read the comments sections and other internet related Supe things, I think he's very well aware of it. :P

(if you're lurking here Henry and reading this let me just say hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii)

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Considering Henry admits he does read the comments sections and other internet related Supe things, I think he's very well aware of it. :P

(if you're lurking here Henry and reading this let me just say hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii)
    He must roll his eyes reading the endless debates about his character.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    He must roll his eyes reading the endless debates about his character.
    He's one of us. I'm sure hes used to the endless back and forth over such triviality!

It's good to see even the Marvel fans coming out to support him. I've said it prior... Just give Henry and Amy one more stand alone film . Don't worry about trilogies or anything. A reasonably budgeted, character driven film that takes advantage of Henry's talents and affinity for Superman. If it does well, then do another film and if THAT does well, do one more , and you have your trilogy.Pretty much how Nolan apprached the Dark Knight films.one at a time.

If not, then, well at least Warner's tried and they'd be well within their rights to rest Superman and recast him in a few years for another attempt. Henry is only 34 now. Still young and he could easily play the role for another decade's worth of movies. Frankly I wouldn't mind an older Superman on screen. Who says he has to be eternally under 35 anyway?
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    He's one of us. I'm sure hes used to the endless back and forth over such triviality!

It's good to see even the Marvel fans coming out to support him. I've said it prior... Just give Henry and Amy one more stand alone film . Don't worry about trilogies or anything. A reasonably budgeted, character driven film that takes advantage of Henry's talents and affinity for Superman. If it does well, then do another film and if THAT does well, do one more , and you have your trilogy.Pretty much how Nolan apprached the Dark Knight films.one at a time.

If not, then, well at least Warner's tried and they'd be well within their rights to rest Superman and recast him in a few years for another attempt. Henry is only 34 now. Still young and he could easily play the role for another decade's worth of movies. Frankly I wouldn't mind an older Superman on screen. Who says he has to be eternally under 35 anyway?
    There's hope for a Superman solo...

"I Asked Henry Cavill about man of steel 2 and he says he’s working on it"

https://twitter.com/_DCWorld/status/939556806677942273

"Henry Cavill has admitted to working hard on the sequel to MAN OF STEEL. Amy Adams has also confirmed that a script is in early development. It might be awhile until we hear any more concrete information but the point is... MAN OF STEEL II is happening. #Superman"

"Henry Cavill has said this today at ACE Comic-Con & Amy Adams said the script for the sequel is being written but is in very early development. I believe it was during an interview with Steve Weintraub."

https://twitter.com/JesabelRaay/stat...15141284397056

Fingers crossed that WB doesn't change its mind and Cavill and Superman end up being casualties of JL's failure.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 12-09-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

From ACE Comic-Con